Traveling with the Phantom and TSA

Reaction score
Has anyone done any air travel and brought the Phantom along? I am going on a flight in June and want to bring my Phantom, but I'm not sure if I will want to carry it on or check it. I would imagine the RC battery packs and TX/RX's wouldn't go over so well with the security checkpoint, however I would rather not check it and risk it being thrown around. Maybe I could pack the transmitter in my suitcase, and have the batteries/Phantom in it's Pelican case as a a carry on? What do you guys think?

imfuller said:
Has anyone done any air travel and brought the Phantom along? I am going on a flight in June and want to bring my Phantom, but I'm not sure if I will want to carry it on or check it. I would imagine the RC battery packs and TX/RX's wouldn't go over so well with the security checkpoint, however I would rather not check it and risk it being thrown around. Maybe I could pack the transmitter in my suitcase, and have the batteries/Phantom in it's Pelican case as a a carry on? What do you guys think?

Check out TSA's site, and with the airline you will be using. The regs specifically state that the batteries should be in your carryon, not in checked luggage. It's a safety thing... I guess they figure they can deal with a torching lipo in the overhead rack a lot easier than one in the cargo hold.

Most of the stories I have heard so far have been positive, and the typical reaction in the screening line is "wow, what is this thing? and where can I get one?" Some have reported that TSA was so interested in the Phantom they didn't even give the batteries a second glance.

I'm heading over to our place in Hawaii next week... I'll let ya know how it goes for me with them.

I regularly fly with video gear. I always carry batteries in my carryon but those are Lithium Ion (I believe the Boeing Dreamliner was grounded thanks to some sort of Lithium battery issue). I assume it's the same with LiPo. I've carried and checked gear that looks a lot weirder than the Phantom including a timelapse ramping system that basically looks like a bomb including a number pad connected to a circuit board. No problems.
I use Pelican cases and Kata bags for all my gear and it all does a great job of protecting my gear when checked. When I head out this month to Texas for a shoot I'll just place it (carefully) in a Pelican case and check it along with my other gear and carry on the batteries.

pwright said:
They make these protective bags for LiPo batteries that are pretty cheap:

http://www.amazon.com/Bluecell-Silver-B ... 257&sr=8-2

I was at one of my off road RC races a few years back when we noticed that bag (in your post) shoot across the rodeo arena. Hit the ceiling, off to the ground, back to a wall where it sputtered out. You usually use those bags when charging and it does stop the fire from coming out but it worked like a rocket when it popped.. I asked my bud what he did.. When he checked his charger he hit that lipo with a NMH charge.. What a NO NO!!! But it was WAY cool to watch. I even asked Nick if he could do it again so I could film it which he didnt find as funny as I..

Wow! I may have to be more careful where I "aim" my bag when charging. :lol:

I use it when charging and I store my batteries in one when not using them. Just in case.

I flew all over europe and asia with it. I had no problem at all. However you have to travel with the lipo in your hand luggage.

Sac D said:
imfuller said:

Check out TSA's site, and with the airline you will be using. The regs specifically state that the batteries should be in your carryon, not in checked luggage. It's a safety thing... I guess they figure they can deal with a torching lipo in the overhead rack a lot easier than one in the cargo hold.

Most of the stories I have heard so far have been positive, and the typical reaction in the screening line is "wow, what is this thing? and where can I get one?" Some have reported that TSA was so interested in the Phantom they didn't even give the batteries a second glance.

I'm heading over to our place in Hawaii next week... I'll let ya know how it goes for me with them.

Love to hear how it goes. And what case are you using. I'm going to Hawaii too in April. Thx.

Do the security scanners mess up your magnetometer as much as I suspect they will? Meaning... once you land, would you have to whip out your laptop, fire up the assistant software and keep running magnets over it to get the MOD and other values in line?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AdriSmitJnr