Traveling with drone on plane

Reaction score
I am traveling across the country to New Mexico and really wanna bring the phantom, I have a perfect carry on case for the drone in backpack format, foam cutouts. But tell me have any of you had issues? Do you have to check the ? Can they be carried on?

It is a pleasure to welcome you to the Phantom Pilots forum. I hope that you will take advantage of the benefits that come with membership and that you will be able to use the forum for the exchange of innovative ideas and as a resource for current developments in Phantom quadcopter’s.

I carry mine on with batteries in the slots. Be sure to check the size limitations for carry ons as they vary. And if you need to check it, grab a few of my "Fragile Instruments" stickers for the case. Look in the classifieds for them.

Reactions: Xorge
I was going to say, it can't be much different than twice in the past 2 months I went on vacation with my full photo backpack... the darn thing must weigh 50-60 pounds fully-loaded. I even had a monopod attached to the outside, and TSA just scanned it and I was all set. And my camera batteries are close in size to the Phantom's.

I would think as long as the bag meets the airline's carry-on requirements, and it passes scanning, then you shouldn't have an issue. But please report back to let us know. Will be usefull information if I decide to take it on a trip...

One thing you might consider is any extra batteries must be stored in a lipo bag but I'm not sure if this is actually enforced.

Carried mine on today without issue. TSA didn't even open it up. Using the hard shell backpack. Definitely would not "check" under any circumstance. The way some of the baggage handlers toss the bags around scares the crap out of me.

Love this forum app guys keep up the good work,
I have a related question, I'm off to Cancun 24th November has anyone had any issues?

It depends on the airline. I just got back from Tokyo with zero issues they just asked what it was, passed it through and everything was fine. My friend on the other took a different airline and got his batteries taken away.

I am traveling across the country to New Mexico and really wanna bring the phantom, I have a perfect carry on case for the drone in backpack format, foam cutouts. But tell me have any of you had issues? Do you have to check the ? Can they be carried on?

I travel often with my P2 backpack as carry-on both domestically and internationally and have not had an issue. I also usually carry two or three batteries. Sometimes the TSA will open up backpack and conduct a swab test and other times they won't even open the backpack. The only things I had taken away were a small screwdriver and allen wrench (this was in India but had no issues in USA). I now keep those items at home.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20