traveling to the dominican republic

Reaction score
really curious as to what i should do. traveling to the dominican out of boston on american airlines. what is the best way to travel with the drone? and anyone have any tips on traveling to the dominican with a drone?

Just traveled internationally from JFK to London and had no issues taking it as a carry-on. TSA did the whole swab check thing and opened the case but it only took a minute or two. I think you're probably better off getting a case for it as it would be easier to inspect than the cardboard box.

This case is cheap and does the trick for me:
http://www.amazon.com/Water-Resista...&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00

Also, less chance it will get damaged if you have it with you as a carry-on

Did you have to work with the IDAC? I will be traveling to Punta Cana in a few weeks and want to make sure, My bird does not get held up at the boarder.

I'm heading there too this summer. I saw photos taken from a tripadvisor and asked the guy if he had any issues. This was his response:
<<
I had no issues at all. I have the DJI hardshell backpack so I took it as carry-on. They checked nothing at customs in either direction. On the way out, they asked me to open it at the airport security after x-ray, once they saw it they were satisfied. At the resort I was very careful not to fly it from the crowded beach area. I would walk down past the resort and launch it. The beaches are "federal property" and not owned by the resort. Once airborne it could not be heard or seen once above about 50'. There was once time when I was flying about 30' down from the resort over the ocean and a very low flying helicopter went by between me and the drone. It was about 100' out from the beach and the helo was flying right at the beach break. Scared the hell out of me, but it is an amazing video. All the other helicopters were flying about 200' up and about 1000' out. I think this one may have seen the drone and purposely buzzed it.
Security at the beach had no issues other than their own interest in it. I took it to Catalina Island and flew it off the beach. There was a policeman at the beach who was very interested and watched. I was very respectful of people on the beach and on the resort, I did not want to create a problem for myself or future quadcopter operators. My Phantom is registered with the FAA as required in the US and I laminated the card and kept it in the case. It is and looks official and I think it would help to show it if questioned. One Dominican told me that the DR also has a registration requirement. I would think that they would honor ours just like they honor all aircraft registrations. You don't need to register you airplane in the DR to fly it there.

If asked, I refer to the phantom 3 as camera equipment, because basically the entire drone is to carry the camera.
>>

Hope that helps.

(Travel info. Not drone related)

Never been to the Dominican Republic but my friend has and said take stuff to stop yourself getting bitten by sand fleas!

Safe trip :)

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

They checked nothing at customs in either direction.
That's a bit different from my experience in 2003. On the way out, some customs guy confiscated all my AA batteries, nothing else. Guess he needed them. :)

I've read mixed reviews at that airport. Some people have no problems others have nightmares of electronics and items stolen. I know I'm going to use TSA locks on my checked luggage and the main items tagged with "returnme" stickers.

I plan on taking my p3p in a soft case backpack as a carry on. I keep trying to find laws or regulations, but I can not find anything. I hear alot of good and bad stories about traveling to the DM. 2 batteries is the "new" max, per bag right?

Most countries don't mind. But be aware. Is some places it's illegal to film certain things. Not in dr. But other places. Instead of looking about the drone. Look up taking picture before you go to another country. They will Tell you what is Taboo

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

2 batteries is the "new" max, per bag right?
There are no limits to the number of batteries you can CARRY ON the plane if they are under 100W (volts X amps). If they are over 100Wah like the T28 for Inspire, you are limited to 2 batteries. For P3 and P4 batteries, take as many as you like as carry-on.

In Punta Cana now and had no issues at the airport. Flew at the resort and the security guard had no problems. He thought the drone was fascinating.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I've read mixed reviews at that airport. Some people have no problems others have nightmares of electronics and items stolen. I know I'm going to use TSA locks on my checked luggage and the main items tagged with "returnme" stickers.
You know that locks don't anything to keep anyone out of your luggage don't you? The TSA has master keys for any TSA approved locks and most other locks as well. The master key CAD files have been available to download off the internet for quite awhile. If anyone wants to get inside at any point, they don't have to work too hard and will just force their way in if there is no easy way. I have traveled all over the world and the "officials" are the ones you usually have to worry about. Like my father used to say "A locked door only keeps out the honest people."

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers