Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Traveling to Jamaica

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by CloudsNeverDie, Feb 3, 2015.

1. CloudsNeverDie

I'm going on vacation to Jamaica in a couple of weeks, flying from the US. I'd like to take my Phantom 2 Vision Plus and get some awesome footage!

But of course I'm worried I'll be stopped by Jamaican immigration or police.

Anyone done this successfully?

2. Andrew303

Don't think you should have issues. I'm in the Dominican Republic for work and no issues with customs.

3. CloudsNeverDie

In case this information is useful to anyone else traveling to Jamaica - I had absolutely no problems on my trip. I carried the Phantom in a Cheerwing backpack with three batteries in Ziploc bags in the backpack. I got through TSA in the US without being stopped or asked any questions. On my way into Jamaica, I didn't get asked any questions or have my bags inspected by customs. On my way back, I put the backpack through the Xray machine at Montego Bay airport and they didn't bat an eyelid - the security staff did ask if I had a quadcopter and they were fascinated, so I showed the security staff a few videos, they were excited and very nice and professional about everything.

I did fly around the resort I was staying at in Montego Bay. The staff were very friendly and cool about it, joking that I had to pay them money or leave my Phantom behind with them when I left ;) The other resort guests loved it too, and I got a round of applause whenever I landed.

So I had no problems taking this kit to Jamaica, and I'd definitely do it again.

Thanks Andrew for confirming there would be no issues!

Trumple likes this.
  4. hoosierdoc

Bump to see if this is still an easy thing to do. We're going in a few months and my Phantom 3 is shipping this week :)

We will be staying in Negril at Beaches and I would love to get some footage of the area. I am fairly certain Hedo is less than 1.2 miles away :D (I kid... I kid...)

go fast likes this.