Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Traveling through Canada/US border with Phantom?

Discussion in 'Pro/Adv Discussion' started by Doolang, Jan 21, 2016.

1. Doolang

Anyone know if I am allowed to travel to the US from Canada with my P3 since all this registering hoo-ha? Not flying, just driving across the border. Any chance of hassle, I'll just leave it at home.

2. msinger

Approved Vendor

You don't need to register with the FAA if you're not going to fly your Phantom in the US.

3. DrJoe

Been back and forth a few times, never an issue, but also never asked to pull to inspection line. Legal in both countries, so shouldn't be an issue. If flying in US, register it with FAA.

Why would you bring it if your not going to use it?

4. dksteele123

Went to Canada with mine in November. Customs didn't ask if o had a drone so I didn't tell them. They have buggier things to worry about

5. ScopeTech

I would imagine the only interest you would get about it would be from Canada Customs; they would be very interested in whether you actually had it when you went in to the States or whether you purchased it down there and are bringing it back. Be prepared to explain and/or prove that you already owned it when you went down.

6. ep 1234

My understanding is that to register with FAA you need to be a US citizen according to the website.

7. Tony Perry

I don't think FAA registration is even an option for non US residents. Hell, most of the people I know who fly aren't bothering with that crap either. As for me, I'm not going to bother. It's all a bunch of fluff.

skyhighdiver and Cale262 like this.
  8. Doolang

Thanks. Maybe I'll take the chance. By not flying I meant my mode of travel. I'd like to fly the P3 while i'm there for sure!

9. PinesPhantom3

When doing the FAA registration I don't recall it specified anywhere that you need to be a resident. Anyway, if you won't be breaking any laws, I don't see why you should worry...

10. ChristopherGlenn

Assuming you flew prior to DEC 21 2015, you have until FEB 21 2016 to register / tattoo the drone. I wouldn't worry until the 21st of FEB. You are still to notify if within 5 miles of an airport, and avoid TFR areas..

11. Squiddley

useless trying to register it Ive been trying for weeks to register mine from Canada, what a joke the registering program is, tried calling every number I could find, tried the link to register on the web site, doesnt work from Canada, finally got told today by a lady I talked with on the phone she couldnt help me, didnt know how I could go about registering....even emailed the help link 3 times they keep saying someones going to contact me but no one ever does...she gave me the new number she said that was put in place supposibly a new number to call tried, said number is not in service yet she told me its a brand new number they just put it out to call....what a joke

12. Cale262

See Q11. You must register to legally fly according to the FFA.

UAS Registration Q&A

Although you can not register from a Canadian IP address...stupid but this must be done after arriving in the US.

#12 Cale262, Jan 22, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2016
  13. Cale262

I'm in the US now and the online system won't allow you to register with a Canadian address, tried using my Arizona address and it gives me a zip code error...I sent them an email a couple days ago using the "contact us" field but still no reply three days later. So far it's a complete PITA!

14. offsite

I just bought a P3P while in Florida on vacation. Didn't have any problems bringing it back into Canada. Interestingly enough, the TSA opened my DJI backpack to swab the entire contents. I think they just wanted to take a look at it :) I also checked the empty box as luggage - it got quite a few looks coming down the luggage conveyor belt and I wouldn't be surprised if a few baggage handlers who thought they hit the jackpot were disappointed to discover it was just an empty box.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

15. skyhighdiver

Stopped just across the boarder and took these . No issues at all
    DJI_0065.JPG DJI_0137.JPG DJI_0122.JPG

#15 skyhighdiver, Feb 6, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2016
    Cale262 likes this.