traveling on plane with phantom 3 transmitter

Reaction score
I know you need to discharge the flight batteries completely for airline travel and you need to bring them in carry on even if you p3 is checked luggage. Now that the transmitter has a lipo battery powering it I'm gonna have to bring the whole controller with me also? Something is going to get broken with the antennas not to mention having an oblong item in my backpack in addition to all the batteries i'm having to carry on also. Can the battery in the transmitter be removed easily? Seems like they should have thought about the travel headache of having to carry on the controller.

I know you need to discharge the flight batteries completely for airline travel and you need to bring them in carry on even if you p3 is checked luggage. Now that the transmitter has a lipo battery powering it I'm gonna have to bring the whole controller with me also? Something is going to get broken with the antennas not to mention having an oblong item in my backpack in addition to all the batteries i'm having to carry on also. Can the battery in the transmitter be removed easily? Seems like they should have thought about the travel headache of having to carry on the controller.
That's why I get a phantom case that fits carry on requirements. I just take the whole thing with me on the plane. I wouldn't want baggage handlers to touch my Phantom, even with a hard case. I swear, it's like they TRY to break as much stuff as possible.

Dude TSA won even bag an eye at you. I went through with my P3 in a backpack fully charge carried on no problem. Don't even worry

Ditto---but I did once have some curious TsA screeners awhile back. They were showing other agents 'what a drone looks like in the X-ray'. Nowadays it's commonplace.

I'll be traveling to Mexico in July. Does anyone know of any restrictions on flying there? Also, what's this about discharging the lipos completely? Is that even possible without damage?

I'll be traveling to Mexico in July. Does anyone know of any restrictions on flying there? Also, what's this about discharging the lipos completely? Is that even possible without damage?
I heard they LIPOs never actually discharge completely, but as long as your controller indicates 0%, you're close enough.
You should run them out once every 20 flights or so.

I just came from a 7 day cruise. No issues at any airport or customs. Had a carry on bookbag with it inside. Had no issues flying it in any city either. I was in Mexico, Belize, roatan, and Cayman Islands. Epic footage, no GPS issues, no calibration issues, nothing! Flew like a dream! Even flew while the boat was docking/undocking(didn't have enough guts to fly why moving in the ocean lol)

Reactions: JohnK

Why would you discharge them? You can travel with them full.

I've taken my P2V+ on international flights with 3 full flight batteries. I've only been asked about it once or twice. They asked what it was, I told them, and they waved it through. Never even took it out of the backpack I had it stored in along with the controller and other camera gear. My suggestion is relax and enjoy it. Don't go looking for problems.

Reactions: JohnK
I just came from a 7 day cruise. No issues at any airport or customs. Had a carry on bookbag with it inside. Had no issues flying it in any city either. I was in Mexico, Belize, roatan, and Cayman Islands. Epic footage, no GPS issues, no calibration issues, nothing! Flew like a dream! Even flew while the boat was docking/undocking(didn't have enough guts to fly why moving in the ocean lol)
Ah, Roatan, spent 10 days diving at Anthony's Key there, wonderful time, want to do it again. As for the P3 on a plane, just carry it aboard with the batteries at 25% and don't worry about it.

Ah, Roatan, spent 10 days diving at Anthony's Key there, wonderful time, want to do it again. As for the P3 on a plane, just carry it aboard with the batteries at 25% and don't worry about it.
That's awesome! I was at the "carnival" island, mohogany bay, had an awesome tour guide! Went as far as jumping of his kayak and in the turtle farm and caught a huge sea turtle n brought it up for me to touch and see up close since im fascinated with turtles! Wish I had enough time to go diving!

What would be the problem flying with the batteries at 100% capacity?

Wrong, wrong and wrong! I charge everything up, put it all in the case and head to O'Hare (Chicago) - absolutely NO problem - 50% rate is for storing more than a week.

Someone posted awhile back the FAA regs on flying with LIPO batteries. It mentioned nothing about having to be discharged. If discharged, what if some screener wants you to power it up to prove it works like they do with some electronics? I almost lost a cell phone at the airport with a dead battery because of that.

I recall that the manual says to discharge when flying...so not wrong but perhaps inpractical if security want to see it working...50% seems to me in the ballpark as a compomise

The rule is for loose batteries, not for fixed or installed ones.

"Q2. What kinds of batteries does the FAA allow in checked baggage? A2. Except for spare (uninstalled) lithium metal and lithium-ion batteries, all the batteries allowed in carry-on baggage are also allowed in checked baggage. The batteries must be protected from damage and short circuit or installed in a device. Battery-powered devices—particularly those with moving parts or those that could heat up—must be protected from accidental activation. Spare lithium metal and lithium ion/polymer batteries are prohibited in checked baggage—this includes external chargers."

https://www.faa.gov/about/office_or...edia/faa_airline_passengers_and_batteries.pdf

batteries.PNG

Someone posted awhile back the FAA regs on flying with LIPO batteries. It mentioned nothing about having to be discharged. If discharged, what if some screener wants you to power it up to prove it works like they do with some electronics? I almost lost a cell phone at the airport with a dead battery because of that.

There is nothing that I could find about discharge, and the rule about LIPO refers to SPARE batteries, not installed ones (I do realize that calling the one in my copter "installed" is a stretch, but the one in the controller certainly is). I attached the rules and a chart. Please note, though, that airports and local authorities may be more restrictive.

https://www.faa.gov/about/office_or...edia/faa_airline_passengers_and_batteries.pdf

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31