Traveling on a plane with a drone

Reaction score
I'm thinking about bringing my P4P with me when I go on vacation. I usually like to keep the important/expensive stuff with me instead of in a checked bag. Do you check your drone or carry it on?

You cannot check the batteries. They need to be carried on. Unless you want the drone back in several pieces, I'd carry it on as well. No issues with TSA or the airlines. You may want to place tape on the connectors on the batteries. I never have though.

That's right! I forgot about not being able to check the batteries.

I carry mine on with all the batteries. TSA are getting used to seeing them so it should go smoothly.

I travel with a hard shell case or backpack depending on the trip so the TX is always with my bird. I assume it would be carry on. Another reason I bought a Mavic Pro. That thing is so small it fits in my regular bag, love it.

I just flew 2 flights on American Airlines with my P4 inside of its original case. I was carrying the case inside of a thin canvas bag just to make it easier to carry. I thought I would have to remove everything out of the case during the TSA check, but they just had it run through the scanner with the top closed. I even thought I'd probably have to check the wires and props since you can strangle someone with the cords and probably scratch someone with the props, but again, there were no problems. Also, the P4 drone case had more than enough room under the seat in front of me.

Related questions...since the RC has a rechargeable battery, shouldn't it be carried on as well? Has anyone had issues putting the RC in checked luggage?
I know, it does seem irrational. I believe the logic is that a typical loose LiPo could be shorted out by its leads if bouncing around in checked baggage with other articles, particularly metal. Really the DJI batteries probably should qualify as a self contained device since the batteries themselves are in a sealed container with an on/off switch that can't easily be accidentally turned on, but TSA rules have to generalize.

I've found it's generally frowned upon to fly a drone through Business and First Class from my Economy seat. You don't want to be "that guy."

Reactions: Meta4
How does that hard shell fit into the storage compartment?
I travel with a hard shell case or backpack depending on the trip so the TX is always with my bird. I assume it would be carry on. Another reason I bought a Mavic Pro. That thing is so small it fits in my regular bag, love it.

Has anyone had problems with propellers? I know someone who travels with drones and he says he has to check the propellers because they are potential weapons.

Has anyone had problems with propellers? I know someone who travels with drones and he says he has to check the propellers because they are potential weapons.
That's the first I've heard of that.
Carbon fibre props might be like a knife but no-one is getting hurt by a hand-held DJI prop.

As others have said, carryon.

In the past year or 2, I've carried-on my P3S in either a hard, Pelican type case or LP Droneguard to Austria, Hungary, Czech Rep, Mexico, Sydney, Melbourne, San Sebastian and Bilbao and all the connections in between. I've seldom even had a second look from TSA or even FA's on the flight (in economy or up front). And definitely no issues related to the props, batteries, or charger/cable.

Now that i think about it, the only time it has received a nice swabbing style bath (and a few questions) was from security at BER, but I was on my way in 10min.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20