Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Standard Traveling in the US on AA

Discussion in 'Phantom 3 Help' started by Monif Habib, Jun 21, 2016.

1. Monif Habib

Hello guys! I'll be traveling to San Francisco later this month, and was wondering if it's ok to travel with my drone? I have a backpack for it that meets carry on requirements, but I have a couple of questions like, should I tell TSA that I have a drone inside? Appreciate it!

2. tcope

Tons of threads on this subject already... with many answers.

You don't need to tell anyone (that x-ray machine lets them know what is inside). You need to at least carry on the batteries. You should not have any issues. TSA has seen thousands of drones.

Monif Habib likes this.
  3. msinger

Approved Vendor

Yes, you can travel with your drone. There's no need to mention it since they will see it when it goes through the scanner. I'm sure they've seen countless drones by now. Just make sure you pack your batteries in your carry-on bag. The batteries terminals need to be covered with something.

Monif Habib likes this.
  4. Monif Habib

Thanks guys!

5. flpholt

The batteries terminals need to be covered with something I said that exact same thing and someone said I was wrong glad to see there is other smart people than just ignorance

6. msinger

Approved Vendor

Link them here next time ;)

flpholt likes this.
  7. Monif Habib

What should I use???

8. Monif Habib

What do I cover them with?

9. msinger

Approved Vendor

I make these battery covers. You could also put tape over them or put them in separate Ziploc bags.

66Fury likes this.
  10. Raceman17

Put one in the bird and any other ones can be in your case. I'm guessing since your flying you should have a case that has slots for extra batteries. I have flown with my bird all over the US countless times and I have never been asked by TSA to show them anything. If it goes through security then it's good to go on any aircraft regardless of carrier.

11. John473

Anyone had any experience with a phantom 3 Hardshell backpack fit in the overhead is carry-on?

12. Raceman17

I have the dji knockoff hardshell pack. The only size issue I have found so far is on the regional jets that fly from the smaller airports to the larger airports. The backpack us about 1 inch too tall to fit in the overhead on those planes. The bigger planes are not an issue. On the one flight I had this week I just put the case under the seat in front of me. I'm 6'3" tall and there really wasn't any issues with it going under the seat in front of me and leg room. Unless you put your feet under the seat in front of you. I'm so tall I can really only sit straight up in the seat anyways.

13. John473

Was that under the seat of something like a turboprop like American Eagle uses?

14. Raceman17

No it was the crj-200 or 700 versions aircraft. But I would guess that the turbo prop planes would be the same with limited overhead storage. Especially if they are on the ones that have the 3 Seats going across the entire row.

I think I have a flight next week on one of the smaller American Airlines planes. I will find out.

15. Monif Habib

awesome! So you don't think I should have a problem taking it through security right! Sorry about all the questions, just kinda worried!