Traveling by plane with phantom

Reaction score
Hi guys I'm going away shortly and wondered what's everyone's experience been with transporting their drone by plane.

I have the backpack from DJI, can you take it on board in over head with the batteries or do you out batteries in the cargo hold with main suitcase.

Also do airport security say anything ?

Your experiences welcome

Reactions: Dronebow
Check your airline's carry-on size requirements.

Your batteries need to be carried onboard, and they should not be fully charged. I've flown many times with everything in my backpack with no problems in the States, usually no comments from TSA. One X-Ray Screener asked if it was a quad. ;)

Reactions: Xorge
I traveled to Spain earlier this month with my P3P in the DJI backpack and was not asked a single question on the way there or on the way back.

All batteries should be stored in the backpack or carry on, not inside checked baggage. Also make sure they're not fully charged.

In order to avoid getting your bag gate checked if the carry on storage is full, try to choose a seat that's located towards the back of the plane... That way you're seated first. I have the Manfrotto backpack, which does not have a hard shell, so this was a must for me.

I just flew with it yesterday out of NYC. They actually stopped the bag and opened it all up. I asked the reason and the TSA agent said he detected "sensitive equipment". I honesty think he just wanted to see the drone because he asked me a whole bunch of questions about it that seemed way more personal that professional. On the way out of Denver I did not have one issue. I even saw a girl carrying the drone straight in the box onto the plane

I traveled to Spain earlier this month with my P3P in the DJI backpack and was not asked a single question on the way there or on the way back.

All batteries should be stored in the backpack or carry on, not inside checked baggage. Also make sure they're not fully charged.

In order to avoid getting your bag gate checked if the carry on storage is full, try to choose a seat that's located towards the back of the plane... That way you're seated first. I have the Manfrotto backpack, which does not have a hard shell, so this was a must for me.
what airline did you fly with ?

I flew round trip from LAX to Dallas, Texas with my drone packed in a hard-sided backpack. Had one battery in the P3A and two extras in the backpack slots. You are required to bring them (batteries) as carry on. We used Southwest Airlines. On the way back they did ask to open the backpack and did the little swab. But no issues. The hard-sided DJI backpacks fit perfect in the overhead bins as well.

I just also bought the manfrotto backpack and I cant tell if I like it or not. It can barely hold anything else besides the drone and it is quite uncomfortable. It is also very expensive and it takes so long to set up the drone and then break it back down. I might try a new bag and return the other one.

I've been hearing the same thing for most folks taking their drone with them when traveling. I'm heading to Vietnam in December and would like to bring my drone with me. I'm more concerned with entering Vietnam with a drone as they X-ray all luggage once you land in Ho Chi Minh City.

Has anyone brought a drone INTO Vietnam while on vacation? I've seen drone videos from other travelers but wonder if there are any special requirements.

I've been hearing the same thing for most folks taking their drone with them when traveling. I'm heading to Vietnam in December and would like to bring my drone with me. I'm more concerned with entering Vietnam with a drone as they X-ray all luggage once you land in Ho Chi Minh City.

Has anyone brought a drone INTO Vietnam while on vacation? I've seen drone videos from other travelers but wonder if there are any special requirements.

They x Ray everywhere though

They x Ray everywhere though

They do everywhere for security reasons and normally when you enter the airport. Vietnam is special in that they're x-raying as you're leaving the airport to make sure you're not bringing in like 10 iPhones or whatever. There's a personal exemption for stuff you're going to use like most countries but Vietnam can be tougher and I was just wondering if anyone has first hand experience there bringing in a drone for use. US Customs will sometimes x-ray stuff too when you enter but they're more interested in the agricultural contrabands.

DON'T go to Myanmar from Viet Nam. Drones may be confiscated at the airport. I spent two months in the area in my pre-drone days. Amazing places with wonderful people. Heading back next year, but it's unlikely I'll risk the drone. Any problems or issues could mean confiscation or "fees" to local police ... without judicial recourse.

DON'T go to Myanmar from Viet Nam. Drones may be confiscated at the airport. I spent two months in the area in my pre-drone days. Amazing places with wonderful people. Heading back next year, but it's unlikely I'll risk the drone. Any problems or issues could mean confiscation or "fees" to local police ... without judicial recourse.

"Fees" to the local police including the custom police I'm totally familiar with. If it's say $20 to bring it in, I'm OK with that. I wouldn't them to confiscate it though. It would be amazing to get some footage from there though!

Moved to the General section as it is not specific to the P3.

And this has been asked soooooo many times. Highly recommend searching.

One thing to know above all else, batteries NEVER go in checked luggage.

Moved to the General section as it is not specific to the P3.

And this has been asked soooooo many times. Highly recommend searching.

One thing to know above all else, batteries NEVER go in checked luggage.

And props could be an issue in carry on here in the US. Just sayin'

Never had a problem with carrying on props.

That's probably overwhelmingly true, thank goodness, but I did read of an issue somewhere. I'm sorry I didn't keep the link to it, though. Prob not a real worry, but since I did read that at some point, I'll keep a 2 set in my checked luggage!!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic