Travel with Drone TSA and CATSA

Reaction score
Hi. Can anyone confirm that it’s ok to travel with a P4Pro through airport security. Can’t find anything on CATSA. Thanks

I took my P3P through TSA security with no problem on a recent cross country trip, and this forum is replete with others who have had no problems either on domestic flights. Experiences are variable, however, internationally. Check the regulations for each country you wish to travel in outside the US.

Hi. Can anyone confirm that it’s ok to travel with a P4Pro through airport security. Can’t find anything on CATSA. Thanks
People fly every day with their Phantoms and the TSA people won't even blink when they see the distinctive shape on their X-ray scanners.
Just make sure you don't put batteries in your checked luggage.

Reactions: captainmilehigh
Yup, TSA then Mexican customs in Cozumel, then back to US. Only thing I had to do was take the batteries out of the battery bag to verify what they were

Yup, TSA then Mexican customs in Cozumel, then back to US. Only thing I had to do was take the batteries out of the battery bag to verify what they were

So, when you travel with your Phantom, you bring your batteries in your carry on luggage ? Does it help to put them in one of those insulated bags designed for them. What charge condition is best for travel? Thinking about taking mine to Florida from Texas in a couple weeks. I've got a P4Pro with six batteries.

Just took my P4P to Puerto Rico in a Polar Pro Drone Trekker. Not a single issue, I would recommend putting your batteries in LiPo bags though. Keep cables tidy inside the case and ensure the batteries are protected from shorts!

So, when you travel with your Phantom, you bring your batteries in your carry on luggage ? Does it help to put them in one of those insulated bags designed for them. What charge condition is best for travel? Thinking about taking mine to Florida from Texas in a couple weeks. I've got a P4Pro with six batteries.
From a TSA point of view, fireproof bags don't help you get through security any better. It is safer of course if you want to spend the money. There is no regulation for charge level. I travel all the time with fully charged batteries so I can fly immediately when I arrive, ready to launch. However it seems logical that it's safer with a "storage charge" to travel, if you don't plan to fly the day you arrive. Just remember, even a fully discharged battery that shows 10% in the Go4 app has enough power to start a fire, so it's really no safer to be discharged from a risk point of view, IMO. Just make sure you carry on all batteries. I usually utilize my ThinkTank Helipak backpack with everything inside when I walk on the plane. Your backpack should be within the 14X22X9" size spec, so it fits easily in the overhead. If flying Southwest, MAKE SURE you pay for A list boarding ($15/flight) so you are more likely to obtain overhead space to store the backpack. If you are C group boarding you may have a problem finding adequate overhead space on a fully booked flight.

Last edited:
From a TSA point of view, fireproof bags don't help you get through security any better. It is safer of course if you want to spend the money. There is no regulation for charge level. I travel all the time with fully charged batteries so I can fly immediately when I arrive, ready to launch. However it logical that it's safer with a "storage charge". Just remember, even a fully discharged battery that shows 10% in the Go4 app has enough power to start a fire, so it's really no safer to be discharged from a risk point of view IMO. Just make sure you carry on all batteries. I usually use my backpack with everything inside with me when I walk on the plane. The backpack is within the 14X22X 9 size spec so it fits easily in the overhead. If flying Southwest, MAKE SURE you pay for A list boarding ($15/flight) so you are more likely to obtain overhead space to store the backpack. If you are C group boarding you may have a problem finding adequate overhead space on a fully booked flight.

As for LiPo bags, I agree that it won't *always* help you through security; but they saved my *** yesterday. Was flying out of Puerto Rico, TSA agent through a fit about the amount of batteries but dropped it fast when I showed them the LiPo bags and the fancy plastic caps that cover the terminals. I paid $15 for four LiPo bags on sale on Amazon, and I think $18 for four battery terminal covers. They also serve as a visual reminder for me. I put fully charged in bags and leave dead ones out!

Reactions: Loz

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spicehub