Travel airport security

Reaction score
How to travel with DJI Phantom 4, do you take it on a plane ? Any problem because of LiPo ?

have to put tape over ends of battery no problems carrying it on

I fly frequently with my P3P in a carry-on backpack. No issues at all.

The batteries must be in the carry-on bag, not checked. Their contacts are designed so they can't touch each other, so no special preparation is necessary, other than each one fits into its own small pocket in the backpack.

The TSA folks don't blink as it passes through the x-ray machine. The only time I was stopped was because the agent was fascinated and wanted to chat about it. He was thinking of getting one! :)

Reactions: Start Visit
I've flown with mine out of Heathrow without any problems. Provided the case it's in complies with cabin baggage size you can take it on board, or if you've got a hard case you can check it in as hold luggage...the thing to remember is that batteries must be in your hand luggage.

Here's the soft backpack I use. Four batteries, two chargers, and extra props.

It goes on the plane just like this, as carry-on luggage.

Can't speak for the EU.

Backpack1.jpg
Backpack2.jpg

Yes, these batteries are always in carry-on luggage! And, as I mentioned in my first post, there have been no issues with this configuration here in the U.S.

have to put tape over ends of battery no problems carrying it on
Who told you that? I've never seen a tape requirement anywhere. There is a requirement to protect the batteries individually, like having individual compartments to prevent shorts or the battery touching anything else that can cause damage, but nothing about tape.

Who told you that? I've never seen a tape requirement anywhere. There is a requirement to protect the batteries individually, like having individual compartments to prevent shorts or touching anything else, but nothing about tape.
same thing if put tape on ends can just leave them in case members on here talked about it alot

Some LiPo batteries, including I believe, those on the P2 and earlier, have loose-wire connectors. Protecting or taping the ends before traveling is required.

The newer P3/P4 batteries have built-in protected contacts.
Battery20160607.jpg

We're in the P4 section here, tape isn't required. Not required on P3 either. All you need is general separation protection, as provided in most cases.

Who told you that? I've never seen a tape requirement anywhere. There is a requirement to protect the batteries individually, like having individual compartments to prevent shorts or the battery touching anything else that can cause damage, but nothing about tape.

Delta for example:

Baggage Restrictions & Restricted Items : Delta Baggage : Delta Air Lines

"Spare lithium batteries are allowed as carry-on only, and must be individually protected to prevent short circuits."

"If original packaging is not available, effectively insulate battery terminals by isolating spare batteries from contact with other batteries and/or metal."

Other airlines specifically mention tape.

Reactions: flpholt
Yep, like I said, for p4 and p3, individual battery compartments in the typical backpack or hard case will meet their needs for protection against short circuit.

Last edited:
Yep, like I said, for p4 and p3, individual battery compartments in the typical backpack or hard case will meet their needs for protection against short circuit.
did you read tcope some require tape

That doesn't apply to P4, and that's what we're talking about here. Isn't this the P4 discussion?

Our batteries don't have wires that need protecting.
you just don't get it not about wires its the end of battery some airlines want it covered p3 p4 doesn't matter

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.