Transmitter vs video range

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

So I know the video link range is around half of what the transmitter range is but somehow as soon as my video link is broken my phantom uses the return to home command. Can someone tell me if this is normal or do I have to change some setting. I couldn't find anything in the user manual or the app which would do this.

Also once the link is broken any way to get the Phantom to hover rather than return to home?

Thanks in advance.

Sheharyarali said:
Hey Guys,

So I know the video link range is around half of what the transmitter range is but somehow as soon as my video link is broken my phantom uses the return to home command. Can someone tell me if this is normal or do I have to change some setting. I couldn't find anything in the user manual or the app which would do this.

Also once the link is broken any way to get the Phantom to hover rather than return to home?

Thanks in advance.

No it is not normal for "Phantom Connection Broken" to initiate an RTH. Have no idea what is wrong, but it could be coincidence. Do you have your antenna pointed with the side toward the bird? Are you in FCC mode?

There is no setting for this. There are two options for the control signal lost condition. Return Home and Land, and Land.

BlackTracer said:
Sheharyarali said:
Hey Guys,

Thanks in advance.

No it is not normal for "Phantom Connection Broken" to initiate an RTH. Have no idea what is wrong, but it could be coincidence. Do you have your antenna pointed with the side toward the bird? Are you in FCC mode?

There is no setting for this. There are two options for the control signal lost condition. Return Home and Land, and Land.

Hello,

Yeah I have the antenna pointed toward the Phantom and while in FCC mode. Whenever the connection breaks it always does initiate RTH so can't be a coincidence. Whats the range typically of the transmitter link vs the video link?

Per DJI's specs, the transmitter range is 800m and the video (range extender) range is 500m - 700m.

The RTH function should only kick in when the transmitter signal is broken. It's quite possible for the video and transmitter signals to be broken at the same time -- even more so if there are trees or other objects between you and your Phantom.

FYI, after the Phantom starts returning home, you'll be able to regain control as soon as possible if you put the S1 switch in the middle position (ATT). Once you have control, make sure you return the S1 switch to the top position (GPS).

Last edited:
When you lose video, it says Phantom connection broken.

However when you lose actual RC control, it days "control signal lost"

Most of the time, you lose video first. And you can still control. Once it loses radio signal for 3 seconds, RTH is initiated

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers