Transmitter signal loss when overhead?

Reaction score
New to the Phantom 2 Vision quad. Just got it last night, but have taken the steps to get the bird in the air. Updated firmware to latest version on the quad before taking it out for the first time, and also set the mode to Naza-M (not new to flying, just the Phantom platform).

Took it up tonight (after dark in decently lit subdivision), after going through all the preflight steps. Had 9 satellites locked.

Flew it around for 10min or so. Out to about 250' away, and 100' up. No problems using heading lock to keep me from losing orientation at that distance (especially at night!).

Got it back over my yard and decided to take it up a little higher. Hit 250' and was just beginning to bring it back down whenever my phone screen displayed CONTROL SIGNAL LOST. Needless to say, that gave me a bit of a scare for a moment. I could still clearly see the onboard video feed though!
It said it was returning to home, and it did just that. Worked flawlessly and brought it right over the spot where I took off. Before it actually landed, I flipped to ATTI mode and got control back. The grass in that area was a little tall for the landing gear, so didn't want it tipping over. I landed it back on my little 18" square piece of plywood that I was using to take off from.

Everything went really well, other than losing the TX signal. Has anyone else had this happen when overhead? To be fair, I was right next to my covered porch area, so that could have blocked it for a second. Also, the TX antenna was pointing vertical (upright toward the sky), and with the quad overhead I know that's not ideal for radio wave travel.
But I never lost video feed, so would like for someone to confirm that this is normal behavior, or if I have a potential issue with my TX that I need to address before taking it out again.

To summarize, I'm very pleased with the way that the quad flies, and also the RTH feature. Potentially saved my quad tonight...

The monopole controller antenna has a dead zone at the tip. Keep the antenna perpendicular to the aircraft, not pointed at it.

damoncooper said:
The monopole controller antenna has a dead zone at the tip. Keep the antenna perpendicular to the aircraft, not pointed at it.

Good advice. Thanks!

I took it out again today and had no issues. Was a bit windy out, and upon reviewing the video, I can definitely see why people use the 2 & 3 axis gimbles...

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl