Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Standard Transmission error but the drone still flies and records

Discussion in 'Phantom 3 Help' started by tevek, Aug 7, 2016.

1. tevek

Hi, new to this forum and have an issue with my P3S flagging transmission error up in the banner area of the screen. I have recently relocated to a distant location (spelt foreign country) and carried out a compass recalibration, upgraded the App to 2.8.6 and now have the error message appear on the screen. The drone still flies with complete control and records video as per normal. I missed the last upgrade (June 2016) due to moving and up until now have never had an issue with the unit. I have read elsewhere that removing and reinstalling the SD card (mine is a 32 GB micro card purchased from a drone supplier) seems to be the fix and I will try that tonight. I have checked that the antenna orientation is correct and both the RC and drone are fully charged, doesn't appear to be anything wrong that is obvious and I have flown this unit for months with no issues whatsoever.
    Maybe it hates the sight of rice and fish heads in its new home.

2. tevek

Sorry I posted before typing in the heading. Supposed to read " Transmission error but the drone still flies and records"
    Update on the NITS, the unit will power up and assume the Safe to Fly GPS position. Within 10 seconds of flight, it will revert back to NITS, still fly but no picture/video.
    App 2.8.6
    Aircraft 1.6.80
    As mentioned earlier, the unit has been relocated to another country, a compass calibration done and there we go.
    I also have a P4 that has the FW upgraded and not an issue.
    Any ideas please......

#2 tevek, Aug 7, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2016
  3. dirkclod

dirkclod Moderator
    Staff Member

Fixed it

4. RodPad

Welcome to the Forum!,
    Wow, no help yet?

Ok, Little confusing post, so you are not loosing control?

You are loosing signal from the Phantom, live view (FPV) and Telemetry?

Rod

Dirk my first impression was his problem was fixed! , I am glad you work for free.
    ;)

dirkclod likes this.
  5. tevek

Hi RodPad, yes after reading my first pass at posting my query, it looks like my five year old wrote it. The drone initializes with safe to fly GPS and then shortly after loses transmission, flies as per normal, and records video. I tried again last night and found in addition to the lost transmission, I also lost satellite connection and landed the craft immediately to prevent killing one of the locals.I initially thought the three thousand satellites around the camp where I work were creating the grief, so I moved to an open space to see if it that was the issue. Same story in a location where I am assuming there is no WiFi interference and nothing structural within 100 metres. As mentioned in an earlier post, the unit worked faultlessly in Australia but over here in banana land is coming up with this fault.
    I have tried the remove/install of the SD card, read a number of other posts and looked at their suggestions and may have to downgrade the FW from 1.6.8 as a last resort.
    I need to post a screen shot of the display that probably explains where the unit is at to make more sense.
    Thanks for taking the time to read my post, I have a feeling it will be something really simple but will require someone with much more experience to push me in the direction.

6. tevek

Just an update with the Standard 'troubles'. Found out today that the flying area that I thought was sterilized of interference has an 13.8kV cable buried beneath where I was trying to launch from. In addition to that I uninstalled/reinstalled the App, played with the SD card one more time, initialized the shebang with controller first/App second and lastly the drone, found a new place to test and away it went. I am assuming either the HV cable by itself or a combination of the other changes I made has removed the transmission error altogether. As an aside, I hope to fly in a day or two at the place where I work and have been asked to film a test flight of a $60K drone used by the surveying people up this way. If I can get it, I'll post it. Apparently they would appreciate someone being able to film this little adventure from a distance in case their expensive drone is never seen again................
    Thanks

7. RodPad

This means it worked better or good?
    "found a new place to test and away it went."

8. tevek

Hi Rod Pad, yes it fired up and flew as per normal following a couple of simple checks that were posted and a relocation to an interference free area.
    Thanks again, this site is full of useful tips for people like me who have a memory like a sieve...