Tranport Canada Exemptions for SFOC

Yelp...first thing I did was weigh my phantom to make sure it was under the 2 kg limit. It is... :cool:

Khudson7 said:
Yelp...first thing I did was weigh my phantom to make sure it was under the 2 kg limit. It is... :cool:

I was pretty sure mine was too. What was your actual weight?

WPSPETE said:
Khudson7 said:

I was pretty sure mine was too. What was your actual weight?

Well just using bathroom scale which is probably not that accurate, but it was about 2.5 lbs, well under the 4.4 lbs limit. It is still important to read this advisory carefully as to be precisely complicit with the law, there are a number of things one has to do, such as:

Have a copy of this exemption on hand, proof of (home)insurance, and a few other things,etc. to present to an officer if asked, but all very doable. I do feel lucky living here at least from this standpoint(can't say much for the weather here though), and feel empathy for my fellow pilots in the U.S. having to deal with this.

I still have to deal with the sort of anxiety here of someone approaching me that is ill informed from all the negative press, and wants to point out I am breaking some law in their mind. It did happen recently where someone approached me in French to reprimand me, and I simply got rid of him by saying "Je ne parle pas Francais!" Doesn't always work, but did this time. :lol: ;)

Just wondering... would the $100k liability that they require be covered under your home insurance - or would separate insurance be required? I'm sure each policy is different, but just curious.

Jebus said:
Just wondering... would the $100k liability that they require be covered under your home insurance - or would separate insurance be required? I'm sure each policy is different, but just curious.

Separate insurance will be required and good luck at this time finding anything under $500k. You have to insure each unit you fly independently. The 9km rule pretty much keeps the rules the same except when flying in remote locations. They also lowered the ceiling to 90 metres from 120.

Not as forward thinking as some seem to think

Jebus said:
I don't thing the home insurance will cover you; I had to obtain aviation insurance ,and there minimum coverage is $ 1 million

If anyone is looking for commercial insurance I can pm you a name. He is very involved in uav and aviation and was incredible knowledagble. He quoted me on 500k 1 mill and 2 mill.

Hey...I am a retired old fart and it probably isn't the first time I have mis-read or mislead someone.

After further reading, this exemption seems to apply only to small (under 2kg) UAV's that are to be used for non-recreational(commercial) use. As such, it would seem to make sense that a separate commercial policy would be needed for the business purpose. After doing a quick internet search, there does seem to be several insurance companies out there that do handle this type of insurance.

But since I am only using mine for recreational purposes(as a "model aircraft") this exemption does not appear to apply in my case. In the meantime, I won't be doing any flying for sometime now because of the weather up here. Not saying that the phantom can not fly in this cold weather....just saying that my fingers can not handle it!

Khudson7 and anyone else: I would appreciate contact info for the insurance guy. I have a following problem:

I'm considering doing a video with my quad for one of my clients: my business is web design, occasionally I do photo and video for my clients, usually related to web projects. It would be nice to offer quad aerial video in addition to normal. The problem is that it would only happen very rarely. I couldn't find any insurance cost information. I heard one number, about $2500 / year. It's OK for a full-time business maybe, but doesn't work if you only do this once in a long while. I was wondering, maybe there is an insurance that can work for one day, or a week? Same kind as you would have when organizing an event etc.

I would appreciate any advice.

Did anyone manage to find any insurance at all? How expensive was it and who can provide it?

Thanks.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4