Training courses: Are they worth it?

Reaction score
As a new drone owner/operator someone suggested to me that I take an online safety/operator course.. Specifically this one:

lesson – Unmanned Safety Institute

Now if there's merit to it I'll shell out some money for a certification, but is something like this a complete load of crap or does the "certificate" at the end really mean something to someone at some point in time? Are there any other similar things out there that any of you recommend? I'm all about being informed and knowledgable, but for $625 id rather buy another drone haha..

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I'm not gonna look at the link because there's no such thing as a certification process to fly these things. You can just send me half the money if and I'll make you a really nice looking certificate and give you some pointers.

I need to do this. Seriously. I can make a sweet *** looking certificate in InDesign and make some b.s. course with materials and all that to sell for $600. ****, I'd take $150.

Last edited:
Reactions: 9V7W3
I know you don't need a certificate to fly.. I was I'm just saying is there any online material that clearly explains regulations and such and all the crap that no one really has an answer for? Seems everyone has very different opinions about a lot of grey areas when it comes to these things.. Just looking for a little clarity haha

I know there are some very knowledgable people on here I've read quite a bit.. And I wasn't talking as much about physically flying the drone as I was about air space regulations, laws vs. "guidelines," that sort of thing

FAA "safety guidelines". Keep in mind these aren't laws but if you have a crash that hurts someone and the FAA proves you failed to fly by these, you will face problems.

Fly below 400 feet.
Never fly near other aircraft
Keep your UAV within visual line of sight.
Never fly over stadiums, sports events or groups of people.
Never fly under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
Never fly within 5 miles of an airport without contacting ATC for clearance.

There is a proposed rule in writing that went through the public comment phase earlier this year that will essentially deregulate the commercialization aspect that many of us are waiting on. June is possibly when we'll start hearing more about that. The new rules are on the FAA website.

Basically, you fly VFR at all times. But obviously some people just like to fly for fun so they do these automated long distance flights. Personally I bought my drone for business, to film so all the regulations are OK with me.

The new rule will get rid of the current need to maintain a real pilot's license for commercial flying. The FAA will mandate all operators have an airman certificate though but exactly what that is has yet to be established. But it won't be 40 hours of flying a real plane and $15-20K.

Last edited:
Reactions: DirtyHarry
$625 seems pricey....

Some people learn better in a formalized classroom setting and others prefer to just look online. I think it just depends on the type of person you are.

One thing for sure - take the class because you think the content will be valuable for you, not because you think the certificate itself will (it won't).

My two cents: find someone in your area who would be willing to answer questions you have about the regulatory landscape. You've done your due diligence in looking on forums/online and some 1-to-1 interaction would go a long way even if it's not in a formal class with a certificate at the end.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan