Tradecraft trouble on United

Reaction score
I just flew from Newark to Honolulu and brought my Phantom 2 Vision. I have a Tradecraft XRV hard case. While waiting to board the plane a gate agent spotted it. He explained to me that United is "cracking down" on oversized carry ons so he made me put it into one of the bins to see if it fits. It does not since it is a couple inches too big on all sides. They checked it for free for me which was no problem. Just take out the LiPo's and carry them on. As far as TSA goes - Newark could not care less and it sailed through. In Honolulu, they swiped it for gunpowder and then asked me a bunch of questions because they were interested and wanted to get one.

All in all, it was not a problem to bring and the Tradecraft case was great but may be a problem as a carry on depending on the airline.

I just returned from Hawaii today. I decided to get the Nanuk 935 to take my phantom. Didn't even get slowed down through security going to Honolulu. Left Honolulu to go to Kawai and they make all of us verify our carry on sizes. My Nanuk 935 fit exactly. You should have seen the look on the gate agents face. She thought for sure I was going to have to check it. I left the approved carry-on tag in my case and I sailed through from Kauai to Maui. Now the case did get some scratches as the overhead bins on the small jets just barely fit. On the way home on American I was able to put it in all of the overhead bins even on the American Eagle flight from Chicago to Indianapolis. They were tagging other carry ons but left the approved carry-on tag on my Nanuk and they just passed me through.

I was only stopped by the TSA in Maui on the return flight. They took out the batteries and ran them through separately and then passed me through.

I had people stop and talk to me every time I flew in Hawaii. All positive. Usually amazed and interested. Not one negative word. I heard drone I only once to which I replied well it is really a quad copter.

It was an amazing trip. Hope your trip was as well!

Yea I have to say, I was worried about taking my Phantom through airport security for the first time recently, but it was all a positive experience. On the way there, no one even looked twice at it or swabbed it for explosives. On the return flight (leaving Pittsburgh), they did ask me to open the case and swabbed it for explosives. The TSA agent was very interested in it and was asking me about it (enthusiastically). As I walked away, I heard her go back over to the agent at the monitor and told him while laughing, "You were right! It was a helicopter!"

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20