Tradecraft PV2 case

Reaction score
Just an update. Flew from Germany to Barcelona last week. Lufthansa. There is no way that case will fit in the overhead of a smaller plane. Nor under the seat. Lufthansa said no way and I had to check it.

On a side note... The wheels that come with the case are only good in an airport. Go outside and they are so loud and annoying. They are plastic. I swapped them out with some good rollerblade wheels and man what a difference!

Thanks for the heads up. I was wondering if this case qualifies as "carry-on". Was the wheel replacement difficult? Thanks! :D

I bought a pair from a 2nd hand store for 5$. Drilled a small hole in the plastic axel on the case. Inserted a wood screw and with pliers pulled the axel. Then i took the bearings out of all wheels, popped the tradecraft bearings into the rollerblade wheels and replaced. Had to take up some space on the axel with done washers as the rollerblade wheels are much thinner. When I get time i will be turning some spacers...

myvrodrocks said:
Just an update. Flew from Germany to Barcelona last week. Lufthansa. There is no way that case will fit in the overhead of a smaller plane. Nor under the seat. Lufthansa said no way and I had to check it.

Many Thanks for confirming this; I was intending to take my Tradecraft P2V case and fly from London to Munich with Lufthansa in the next couple of months.

I hope that after you checked the case in, everything was fine on the other end?

Also, did you remove the Lipo batteries from the case and place in your carry-on baggage?

Cheers

dp

No i left the lipos in the case. The top was sucked in from the altitude and it took 10-20 seconds to get it open...and they scratched my DJI decal...

myvrodrocks said:
No i left the lipos in the case. The top was sucked in from the altitude and it took 10-20 seconds to get it open...and they scratched my DJI decal...

Yep unlike other cases, with the tradecraft you need to remove to O Ring seal BEFORE you fly. Unfortunately once done the case is no longer completely waterproof and can't be submerged in water (if you were to do such a thing!)

Also Lipos should ALWAYS be carried as carry on and not checked in. Apart from being dangerous to check them in you can also be charged with carrying undeclared dangerous goods as it's considered illegal to carry them in cargo hold undeclared under international airline regulations.

[attachment=-1]uploadfromtaptalk1395975893135.jpg[/attachment]

How small of a plane are we talking. Mine fit with ease.

Phantom 2 Vision, Ragecams 5.4 flat lens, Rotorpixel gimbal (on order #384)

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1395975893135.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1395975893135.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 363
I travel with my TradeCraft case all the time and never have any problems. It has fit in the overhead on every flight I've been on. But I do unlock the case when I put it in the overhead so it doesn't compress. I want to keep the case waterproof so I have not removed the O-ring that TradeCraft tells you to remove for air travel. After four months of using the case I highly recommend it without any reservations. If you want to see a few photos of the case go to www.rfaerial.com.

You dont need to remove the oring or unlatch it in the cabin. They pressurize the cabin. If they didnt everyone's heads would explode...

myvrodrocks said:
You dont need to remove the oring or unlatch it in the cabin. They pressurize the cabin. If they didnt everyone's heads would explode...
But the pressure altitude is 8000', which is about 25% lower than sea level pressure.

I live at 7000' but brought my case to sea level. It was squeezed impressively but pressurized within a couple of seconds when I popped the latches. Going back it swelled a bit.

It's hard to see this as a real issue other than perhaps being difficult to open under higher pressure, and even then it wasn't really any trouble. Despite the slightly concave case it didn't seem like either the case or the P2V could be damaged by this.

Doesn't matter how high the plane goes. It's air tight and maintains the exact same pressure as when they closed the door on the ground. The baggage compartment below is not and your checked baggage will be affected.

Duhhhh. It's not enough to squeeze the air out of your case. Ever taken a plastic bottle of water? Did it swell up like a big balloon in the plane? No. But it would if you held it out the window. And if you opened it outside and re closed it it would be flat as a pancake back on the ground. And believe me, a tradecraft is thicker than a plastic bottle.

myvrodrocks said:
Doesn't matter how high the plane goes. It's air tight and maintains the exact same pressure as when they closed the door on the ground. The baggage compartment below is not and your checked baggage will be affected.
Not true on all three accounts. In commercial aircraft, the cabin leaks air all the time on purpose through valves (this is how the pressure is controlled, since the bleed air coming off the engines is much harder to control), and both cabin and baggage are pressurized to the same level (typically equivalent to 8000', though some of the newer craft can handle a bigger pressure differential and can keep the cabin at 7000').

Some small biz jets don't pressurize (or heat) the baggage area but this is decidedly not the case for airliners.

7000' pressure differential is enough to swell or squeeze the case, but not enough to damage it or the contents, at least in my experience.

myvrodrocks said:

Well, please explain what is going on!! On my first air trip I simply put the case in the overhead. When we landed and I took the case down from the overhead the top of the case had noticeably compressed. I was baffled! So I undid the latches but had a very hard time prying the lid open to remove the compression. No idea what is going on here with pressure in the plane. But my standard operating procedure is to unlock the latches as soon as I put it overhead. Upon landing, I just re-latch and I'm on my way.

RickF said:
On my first air trip I simply put the case in the overhead. When we landed and I took the case down from the overhead the top of the case had noticeably compressed. I was baffled! So I undid the latches but had a very hard time prying the lid open to remove the compression. No idea what is going on here with pressure in the plane. But my standard operating procedure is to unlock the latches as soon as I put it overhead. Upon landing, I just re-latch and I'm on my way.
Either you landed somewhere with lower elevation than the takeoff point, or (more likely) the air leaked out while in flight at cabin altitude and didn't have time to leak back in before you tried to open it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers