Tradecraft P2V Case observations

You'll also notice that the top foam pad is easily removable. I printed and keep the transmitter recalibration instructions and compass recalibration instructions there along with cutout of the vision box with the scannable codes for repeater binding. Nothing worse than travelling a long distance and finding that you need a transmit recalibration. There is nothing intuitive about the process, and at least for me, difficult to remember. If you need to rebind, you're grounded for your entire trip without the code.

If need be, you can also tape and store extra props there along the edges where there's little pressure on the foam - once closed.

So I had a chance to explore a bit with the Tradecraft case and the possibility of making a soft sided backpack. There are two possible options. The first option is to buy just the foam insert from Tradecraft (or whoever else makes Phantom cases) and find a suitable backpack or duffle bag that will accommodate the insert. It might take a little cutting of the foam to make it fit the backpack, which would need to be about 21" x 13" x 7". Tradecraft will sell the foam insert separately for $80 plus $15 shipping, which is a bit pricey for high density foam. A one inch 4x8 sheet of foam can be bought for about $45.

The second option is to just remove the foam insert from your existing case and put it into a backpack.

For the Tradecraft foam insert, I found an eTech 2.0 Weekender Convertible by eBags (on sale for $70), which looks like it might do the job. This will be my third attempt at finding the right backpack, but I have this one on order and will post how it fits the foam. I'm sure there are other backpacks that will do the job, but I wanted to find a relatively inexpensive one, since I already spent $200 ($180 plus shipping) on the Tradecraft.

Where is the air lock O ring located? I cannot find any info on this? I am flying out tomorrow and need to allow for the air pressure equalization

Gonzoshots said:
Where is the air lock O ring located? I cannot find any info on this? I am flying out tomorrow and need to allow for the air pressure equalization

It's behind the right side clamp.

I like the case, it is well built, but it could use some mods. Here is what I did.
I also keep stuff like books and such behind my top egg foam.
The foam for the main compartment is very easy two work with.

I have also found that the battery charger compartment and the prop holder compartment have filler foam in the bottom. Just take that out and you have more room.

Screen Shot 2014-02-05 at 2.18.23 PM by resevordg, on Flickr

Screen Shot 2014-02-06 at 1.34.41 PM by resevordg, on Flickr

Screen Shot 2014-02-06 at 1.26.41 PM by resevordg, on Flickr

Screen Shot 2014-02-06 at 1.35.50 PM by resevordg, on Flickr

Screen Shot 2014-02-05 at 2.19.44 PM by resevordg, on Flickr

Screen Shot 2014-02-05 at 2.37.18 PM by resevordg, on Flickr

as a precaution. On last trip one week ago, TSA objected to screw driver in case. Never had a problem before. Had to leave screwdriver behind. Was late and did not have the time to argue or question.

mem_ny said:
as a precaution. On last trip one week ago, TSA objected to screw driver in case. Never had a problem before. Had to leave screwdriver behind. Was late and did not have the time to argue or question.

I take it you had to abandon it and you'll never see it again? That sucks but I guess I see their point.

Scottrod said:
mem_ny said:

I take it you had to abandon it and you'll never see it again? That sucks but I guess I see their point.

Guess you can say that "you got screwed", lol but really when I traveled a lot for business a dozen years ago I gave up so many of the small Swiss army key chain knifes that kept feeding the TSA eBay funnel for sale.

I have only checked mine in luggage (three times so far) and no problems (Except I didn't know about the O-ring the first time so the case was sucked in, but damage to equipment). I love the case so far, but have not made any mods. (But I just got a second charger so thanks for that expansion idea! Hard to believe that they almost allowed knives back on planes a few months ago, but are worried about a tiny screw driver...

ResevorDG what did you use to cut the foam in the lower part of the case. I would like to do some modifications to my case also but don't want to mess up the foam inserts.

As far as the slot for the rotor took the foam has a cut out for it already. It is located just above the battery slot on the right of the phantom. In the picture the slot is just above the battery you have in the case. It is very hard to find the slot at first. I had to watch a video to find where is was.

Thanks

frank1023 said:
ResevorDG what did you use to cut the foam in the lower part of the case. I would like to do some modifications to my case also but don't want to mess up the foam inserts.

As far as the slot for the rotor took the foam has a cut out for it already. It is located just above the battery slot on the right of the phantom. In the picture the slot is just above the battery you have in the case. It is very hard to find the slot at first. I had to watch a video to find where is was.

Thanks

Here is what I did you can just heat up a metal rod and perfect cut outs can be made
Also if you just want to make all the cut outs yourself, you can get the case and whatever inside you want here
as this is where they come from http://www.seahorse920cases.com/

also for the ipad mount check this out viewtopic.php?f=7&t=6318#p47657

Attachments

• case.jpg
    case.jpg
    479.6 KB · Views: 265
  • IMG_0467.JPG
    IMG_0467.JPG
    583.8 KB · Views: 283
  • case2.jpg
    case2.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 287