Tracking vs DJI Go

I have both a Trackimo and Marco Polo -- and, I definitely agree that the Trackimo is easier to use tracking-wise. However, if often flying in remote areas that have spotty cell service (or none at all), the Marco Polo would definitely be the better choice.
Absolutely. I should have added to my post that where there is no cell service, Trackimo is useless. One thing to note about MP, which I have tested, is that you need to have an approximate starting point to begin RDF. A fellow ham operator and I put this to the test. His task was to "plant" the module anywhere within a 2 mile radius (the claimed distance), and then I would try to find it. I was never able to find it. He placed it in a yard only about a mile from me, and although I drove around for 30 minutes, I never picked up a signal. This is a con with the MP. If you have a flyaway, and you have no idea where the drone may be, it may prove very difficult to find. Another con is that the 900MhZ signal is easily blocked by terrain, buildings, etc. All of these type of devices are very limited in power output per FCC regs. The beauty of the Trackimo is that if there is cell service, this thing will provide instant accurate location data anywhere in the world. If someone steals your drone, they better know how to turn the Trackimo off. When I go on motorcycle trips, I hide the Trackimo on the bike.

Reactions: WilsonFlyer
FWIW, if it costs more than $75 or $80 bucks it aint worth it. I got a 0 deductible insurance policy from State Farm for 75 bucks. If I lose my p4 either by fly away, crash, swim etc. I get a check to buy a brand spanking new one.
Is that for a year of coverage

I fly in some remote areas and I'm new to the P4. I noticed that the software, DJI Go, keeps a trail of my flight. So I was thinking that if I had a fly away or crashed into a tree that trail might help me find my P4. But then I have been looking at the "Marco Polo" tracking system. Which will offer the best results in the event of an accident.
I use a TK102 tracker which I bought on Ebay for about $20.00 . You get the tracker, 2 batteries and a charger. The tracker requires a sim card which I bought from T-Mobile and their pay as you go service which costs $3.00 a month. There are brackets available on Ebay to attach the tracker to a P3 or P4. You dial the phone number of the sim card and the tracker sends you a text message with the coordinates of the drone. Plug these coordinates into a map app and it shows you the exact location of the drone within about 10 or 20 feet. I have not had a fly-away so I do not know how long the battery will last. From what I have read it could be several days. However, once you have the coordinates it does not matter if the battery goes dead. My son flies a P3 and I fly a P4 both with a tracker. We have flown these for several months with no ill effect on either one. We did test both trackers and the location was within 20 feet.

My Trackimo mounted on my P3A. There is an app for your mobile device, as well as a web interface. This works way better than the Marco Polo.
feac42ab74d31507cfd14152280e37f5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app
What type of mount is that?

I have e been trying to figure out a way to mount mine.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using PhantomPilots mobile app

I fly in some remote areas and I'm new to the P4. I noticed that the software, DJI Go, keeps a trail of my flight. So I was thinking that if I had a fly away or crashed into a tree that trail might help me find my P4. But then I have been looking at the "Marco Polo" tracking system. Which will offer the best results in the event of an accident.

I have the Marco Polo system and fortunately I have not had to use it. But, I have tested it when I received it and it seems to work quite well. I didn't do extensive testing, but I put it through it paces so that I would know how it reacts to me going the wrong direction when trying to find it etc. It is pretty right on. I also like that I don't have to pay monthly for it as a service. Two thumbs up for me on the Marco Polo Tracker. There is also a small saddle bag that is sold by another vendor that will hold it well.
Marco Polo Saddlebag
The saddlebag for the Marco Polo saddlebag looks as though it may fall out, but, I have been through a crash with it and it held perfectly to my surprise.

Last edited:
I have the Marco Polo system and fortunately I have not had to use it. But, I have tested it when I received it and it seems to work quite well. I didn't do extensive testing, but I put it through it paces so that I would know how it reacts to me going the wrong direction when trying to find it etc. It is pretty right on. I also like that I don't have to pay monthly for it as a service. Two thumbs up for me on the Marco Polo Tracker. There is also a small saddle bag that is sold by another vendor that will hold it well.

Good information on the MP tracker. That is on my want list next. If you think of it, PM me the name of the vendor that makes the holder. I'd appreciate it. Thanks NRJ.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Good information on the MP tracker. That is on my want list next. If you think of it, PM me the name of the vendor that makes the holder. I'd appreciate it. Thanks NRJ.

Here is what to search on Ebay - GPS Holder / mount for DJI Phantom 3 PRO & Advanced Quad TK 102 Tracker Protecto
or 3D Printing DJI Phantom 4 TK 102 GPS Tracker Holder Clamp Mount Bracket Support

Whistle GPS Pet Tracker for dogs and cats | Whistle This works great for me. I also take it on my dirt bike and quad so my wife can have peace of mind if I go out alone. I have a Polaris Razor, and when I go out with it, If I go hiking away from it, I strap it it to the Razor so if someone tries to steal it, I can easily track it. Plus, other people can also follow you.

FWIW, if it costs more than $75 or $80 bucks it aint worth it. I got a 0 deductible insurance policy from State Farm for 75 bucks. If I lose my p4 either by fly away, crash, swim etc. I get a check to buy a brand spanking new one.
I was unaware of such a thing. What is it called?
Did you just ring up your SF agent and say, I'd like a drone policy and $75 later you had one?
I'm under the impression that these are very hard to get; no?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj