Tracking vs DJI Go

Reaction score
I fly in some remote areas and I'm new to the P4. I noticed that the software, DJI Go, keeps a trail of my flight. So I was thinking that if I had a fly away or crashed into a tree that trail might help me find my P4. But then I have been looking at the "Marco Polo" tracking system. Which will offer the best results in the event of an accident.

I fly in some remote areas and I'm new to the P4. I noticed that the software, DJI Go, keeps a trail of my flight. So I was thinking that if I had a fly away or crashed into a tree that trail might help me find my P4. But then I have been looking at the "Marco Polo" tracking system. Which will offer the best results in the event of an accident.
trackimo also works really great

The DJI Go app loses track of your quad when there's a fly away. That's the definition of what a "fly-away" is. You MAY be able to decipher its last heading/direction, but that's pretty much it. That's why companies like the one that makes Marco Polo have thrived, filling a gap that exists in the current technology.

Reactions: Scotty88
trackimo also works really great

Anything that tracks beyond the DJI-like softwares is going to involve a piece of GPS based tracking hardware attached to the multi. Most will interface with an app based tracking software, yes.

is this an app? and will it work with P3?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots
it isn't a app you put it on bird
2016-02-26 15.13.25.jpg

Reactions: Droneboss and J-F
Thanks for the replies. I guess I should have known that in a "fly away" the DJI Go tracking would stop. God sometimes I surprise myself at how stupid about these things I can be. I think I'll line up a "Marco Polo" setup.

Reactions: WilsonFlyer
Anything that tracks beyond the DJI-like softwares is going to involve a piece of GPS based tracking hardware attached to the multi. Most will interface with an app based tracking software, yes.
Yes, most do use GPS. The Marco Polo tracker uses a radio signal though. That would be most ideal for a remote location like the OP described.

Here's an example showing how the Marco Polo tracker works:

Here's what the Trackimo and Marco Polo look like side-by-side:

Marco-Polo-vs-Trackimo.png

Last edited:
Well I ordered a "Marco Polo" setup last night. I have way to much invested to not give myself all the available insurance against a fly away or crash. I guess it's just for the sense of well being.

I figure if mine ever runs away, it's probably not going to be worth anything if I find it anyway. I had a buddy that dropped a $10k turbine of mine one day (Wasn't his fault, but it broke his heart.) and suddenly a light went off. There's a price to pay in any hobby. In RC, it is that no aircraft lasts forever, and you need to understand that going in.

You can lose your drone in other ways, for example hitting a tree in a forest. You might see the last position on a sea of green in DJI Go, but it would be more useful to get the coordinates out. Does anybody know how to do that in the field?

Sent from my SM-G930F using PhantomPilots mobile app

FWIW, if it costs more than $75 or $80 bucks it aint worth it. I got a 0 deductible insurance policy from State Farm for 75 bucks. If I lose my p4 either by fly away, crash, swim etc. I get a check to buy a brand spanking new one.

Reactions: flpholt
I am flying my P4 with the Marco Polo attached to the landing gear since one month ago. I have not noticed any disturbance during flights, nor a noticeable battery time reduction. With the Marco Polo I feel much much confident and relaxed when flying long range or over bush or forest.
3e299c3f4d08fdd884eee97cd891b3e7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

In addition to MarcoPolo, I'm thinking thetracker.com tags might be worth the small investment for the final 100' of a search. I can think of several scenarios where this would help, such as thick brush, a field of corn, or in the top of trees, where hearing the craft beeping could save hours. The battery lasts up to a year, so they say. Pretty inexpensive too. The discount code "tech guy" is supposed to get you 30% off, according to Leo LaPorte.

There is an app for your mobile device, as well as a web interface. This works way better than the Marco Polo.
I have both a Trackimo and Marco Polo -- and, I definitely agree that the Trackimo is easier to use tracking-wise. However, if often flying in remote areas that have spotty cell service (or none at all), the Marco Polo would definitely be the better choice.

Reactions: captainmilehigh
I am flying my P4 with the Marco Polo attached to the landing gear since one month ago. I have not noticed any disturbance during flights, nor a noticeable battery time reduction. With the Marco Polo I feel much much confident and relaxed when flying long range or over bush or forest.
3e299c3f4d08fdd884eee97cd891b3e7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app
That's a pretty slick mount you made there for the P4. I think I know what I'm doing this weekend. I assume you haven't had any issues with yoyo effects from that being mounted there, like I had with installing a gimbal protector, correct?

John, you assume well. I haven't had any issue at all by now. In Spain there is a rule to incorporate a metallic tag plate with name, phone and serial number of drone. A couple of weeks ago I attached the tag, an aluminum military identification plate pretty much the same size as Marco Polo. I did it by locating it simmetrically, in the other landing gear leg.
P4 also flies with no problem at all, but if I had to install Marco Polo today, I would use the identification tag as opposite to Marco Polo in the small drilled aluminum plate, also using less number of ties.
Even more: I would use the name tag as support for Marco Polo, thus saving both weight and time in cutting and drilling the actual support.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4