Trackers: this one saves your **s

They didn't give the Phantom 3.1 mile range to fly strictly VLOS. As I have said in other posts the Phantom isn't like RC of old where you had no contact with the aircraft save VLOS & were therefore compelled to fly VLOS only. With full telemetry & live HD FPV these are a different animal entirely. Why do you find it acceptable to fly beyond VLOS for search & rescue but not for any other purpose? If it is safe to do it for S&R then it seems it would be safe to do it for other ventures as well. Something I find perplexing & rather infuriating is people to demanding more government control & regulation over themselves. o_O

And t
Have you Ken personally ever during your volunteering w/ two emergency services ever seen a uav in flight while on the call. Please answer honestly?
I have never seen a quadcopter (drone) fly over a emergency scene.

Speaking of FAA, maybe one of you can help this 'newbie' with registration information. I got my Phantom 3 at Christmas and only recently flown it; but, recall seeing somewhere that it needs to be registered. This info is not in the User Manual???

Also, would like to know best/quickest way to get blade protectors for it.

Thanks for any and all help. radd
sUAS Registration - Create Account

I've personally used these and now have removed them for flying outdoors. Nice thing is, they quickly clip on and off and included all necessary hardware.
$19.99 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00TJHKTJC?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s01

They didn't give the Phantom 3.1 mile range to fly strictly VLOS. As I have said in other posts the Phantom isn't like RC of old where you had no contact with the aircraft save VLOS & were therefore compelled to fly VLOS only. With full telemetry & live HD FPV these are a different animal entirely. Why do you find it acceptable to fly beyond VLOS for search & rescue but not for any other purpose? If it is safe to do it for S&R then it seems it would be safe to do it for other ventures as well. Something I find perplexing & rather infuriating is people to demanding more government control & regulation over themselves. o_O

Its not the manufactures issue on flying drones, just like its not a gun manufactures responsibility to ensure you don't kill anyone or a vehicle manufacture to prevent your vehicle from going over the speed limit when it can go +120 mph. Poor argument, plus our legislature has enabled the FAA to pass ridiculous rules on flying our "quadcopters". Can't fly at night, must be in visual line of sight, can't fly over people, and so on.

OH, FAA Working on Rules That Will Allow Drones to Fly Over People stay tuned. Rules may be changing, but I wouldn't hold by breath.

Finally someone who understands me my work here is done
You have peaked my interest ... I have checked out various trackers and the best are always around 150-200 mark USD. Your post has swayed me to seriously explore Flytrex.

Kudos on pushing the limits of the bird. I've been terrified to fly mine out of sight -- partly because I don't have a tracking device on it now.

If the CDN dollar wasn't so bad I'd buy one right now!

The problem for me with Flytrex and other cellular network based systems is just that. Many of the areas I fly have either no cellular network at all or sketchy to none at ground level. Thus I've been looking at a Marco Polo unit, but the in-flight scenario is one I hadn't considered.
Would it be ridiculous to get both?

I sent the flytrex back because of compatibility issues and started using a rf-v16 tracker...

Hello, Been following this tracker conversation and have wondered if anyone has simply attached a little cell phone? For instance, there is a cheapy Android GSM cell phone that is $66 and weighs 66 grams. Connect that to a (nearly) free cell phone account and it would seem you would have a cheap, lightweight solution. There are a lot of apps you could run on the phone to help locate it. Heck, you could even call it and hope someone hears it and answers the phone :) I don't know what the other devices weigh, but 66 grams is pretty light and even if you mount it which will weigh a bit more, it still seems like a viable option.

I looked at the Flytrex and the Trackimo and neither one seems to give it's weight.

Hello, Been following this tracker conversation and have wondered if anyone has simply attached a little cell phone? For instance, there is a cheapy Android GSM cell phone that is $66 and weighs 66 grams. Connect that to a (nearly) free cell phone account and it would seem you would have a cheap, lightweight solution. There are a lot of apps you could run on the phone to help locate it. Heck, you could even call it and hope someone hears it and answers the phone :) I don't know what the other devices weigh, but 66 grams is pretty light and even if you mount it which will weigh a bit more, it still seems like a viable option.

I looked at the Flytrex and the Trackimo and neither one seems to give it's weight.
The rf-v16 is tiny and smaller than the flytrex, has a ring feature that you can call it and hear it ringing. You can text it from your phone and it will give you its GPS location back via text with a google map location. Also has a app for current gps location. Works just as good as the flytrex I had and is only $35.

RF-V16 GPS Tracker Review

Last edited:
The problem for me with Flytrex and other cellular network based systems is just that. Many of the areas I fly have either no cellular network at all or sketchy to none at ground level. Thus I've been looking at a Marco Polo unit, but the in-flight scenario is one I hadn't considered.
Would it be ridiculous to get both?
I have both. Marco Polo is realistically only good for less than 1/4 mi. Flytrex will get me well within that distance and MP should get me within 10 feet.
I too am having compatibility issues with my Flytrex and P3A. They are sending me new cables and adapter board. I hope that solves my issues. I occasionally do long ground station flights and it is very reassuring to track the progress real time.

I have both. Marco Polo is realistically only good for less than 1/4 mi. Flytrex will get me well within that distance and MP should get me within 10 feet.
I too am having compatibility issues with my Flytrex and P3A. They are sending me new cables and adapter board. I hope that solves my issues. I occasionally do long ground station flights and it is very reassuring to track the progress real time.
I had the same problem with flytrex, they sent me two new units with cables and boards, one even had a not yet released firmware, to see if that could get it working. Still had issues, double start up of quad and intermittent signal loss. Returned for complete refund. Rf-V16 works without one single problem.

FAA only cares about the altitude. They could really give a crap if you loose it strait line.

FAA only cares about the altitude. They could really give a crap if you loose it strait line.
I don't give a crap that FAA only cares about altitude. I care where it is straight line, or any line!

The rf-v16 is tiny and smaller than the flytrex, has a ring feature that you can call it and hear it ringing. You can text it from your phone and it will give you its GPS location back via text with a google map location. Also has a app for current gps location. Works just as good as the flytrex I had and is only $35.

RF-V16 GPS Tracker Review

Thanks, I ordered the tracker from China and the holder from Israel. What an international thing we have going here :)

Reactions: 2nd2non

Huh???
Wrong.
There is a VLOS component to the guidelines.

Last edited:
But isn't the VF16 gonna be useless in December when the 2g cellular network gets shut down, I was going to get one but someone posted that about the 2g network ending

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Last edited:
But isn't the VF16 gonna be useless in December when the 2g cellular network gets shut down, I was going to get one but someone posted that about the 2g network ending

I am using a h20 4Glte card in mine... If it stops working, I will buy another that works on a 3 or 4g network. It was only $35...lol

Last edited:

I read sometime in 2017 for AT&T. Do we know the device does not work with 3G? I saw something about it working with 3G?

I am using a TruPhone SIM I thought I would move over.

$30 up front for the SIM but you get a $15 usage credit.
Outgoing: $.09/minute for cell service, .09 per text, .09/mb data
Incoming: nothing per minute, nothing for texts, the same .09/mb for data.

with no fixed monthly fees... so far I have used $.70 on a rarely used phone which is why I got it. I have a phone for business purposes which RARELY gets a call as most correspondence is via email and a web site.

I have a second cell phone on RingPlus. The LG Tribute cell phone was $10 around Christmas which included a Sprint SIM. Paid $15 for one of their plans....the phone gets called and texted daily...no where near using my $15 up.

My main cell is T-Mobile so that gives me all but Verizon...oh ya, I have unlimted talk, text, and 2.5GB on my TMO for $33/mon.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj