Track that Drone

jadebox said:
Success! Yesterday, I received the SIM card that I ordered from AT&T. Today, I activated it and installed in the GPS tracker device and ... it works!

I've written up the details at:

Adding a GPS Tracker to the Phantom 2 Vision

-- Roger

Roger, Great write up, how have you mounted the Tracker to the PV, any pics?

HVMSTORMER said:
Roger, Great write up, how have you mounted the Tracker to the PV, any pics?

I haven't tried it on the Vision yet. But, here's a link to an earlier message in this thread showing one mounted under the battery:

http://www.phantompilots.com/viewtopic. ... 55&p=38442

I don't think it'll block any signals there since the battery would anyway.

-- Roger

Morgan 1983 said:
jadebox said:
Success! Yesterday, I received the SIM card that I ordered from AT&T. Today, I activated it and installed in the GPS tracker device and ... it works!

I've written up the details at:

Adding a GPS Tracker to the Phantom 2 Vision

Why do you need the micro SD card?

It records locations if the device is unable to send them. Then, when the device does get a cell connection, it sends the coordinates as a list. It's not a useful function for our purposes, but I wasn't sure if the SD card is required or not.

-- Roger

Ok, the wrinkle with this plan, the "minutes" (account balance) expires in 1, 3, or 12 months.

Apparently the AT&T Pay As You Go refill cards are available in these amounts and Expirations:

$15 30 days
$25 90 days
$50 90 days
$60 90 days
$100 1 year
and, apparently you must refill before the expiration for your balance to carryover.

So, it is about $8 per month for continuous coverage, even with no usage.

Question:

I have access to a real-time GPS tracking solution that uses GSM cell networks (Your SIM card required.) All you would have to do is either use a prepaid SIM or put your SIM card from your phone into the tracker while flying, it works via data not SMS. The KeyFob is quite small and some Velcro or double sided tape and it would stick on the phantom (or any drone.) It can measure speed, and location. This is provided on a Google Map overly and works everywhere your phone works. Currently the developer has it limited to report 1,15,30,60 minutes. I'm working with him to see if ~10 second reporting is an option.

My question is what is a price that someone is willing to pay either yearly or monthly.

Wow! Those AT&T sims are super expensive!! Ouch....

Re the tracker -- you really want one that doesn't report while flying. That's why an sms responder is a good solution. I would not want to risk interference from a cell device transmitting at 2W near a dji receiver.....

gpauk said:
Wow! Those AT&T sims are super expensive!! Ouch....

Re the tracker -- you really want one that doesn't report while flying. That's why an sms responder is a good solution. I would not want to risk interference from a cell device transmitting at 2W near a dji receiver.....

There is a PING only option via the dashboard. I didn't think about the interference.

So if AT&T uses both 850 and 1900MHz frequencies how does that impact the 2.5 and 5 that the DJI uses?

This is more of curiosity as I was about to strap my old s3 to the DJI to see my "flight"

pileosnafu said:
So if AT&T uses both 850 and 1900MHz frequencies how does that impact the 2.5 and 5 that the DJI uses?

This is more of curiosity as I was about to strap my old s3 to the DJI to see my "flight"

From what I've seen the front end of the receiver is not well filtered -- so a strong out of band signal could saturate it. Dji say not to fly close to a cell tower -- but you will get a much bigger rf field from a phone a few cm away than from a cell tower 20 feet away...

So -- I'd test carefully if I was you!

Question? Wouldn't having the gps tracer that is sms based give the same interference as one operating on data? Or is it based on "ussage"

pileosnafu said:
Question? Wouldn't having the gps tracer that is sms based give the same interference as one operating on data? Or is it based on "ussage"

A device reporting regularly using gprs will be transmitting often. The sms version will be listening most of the time, awaiting an incoming message -- so it's down to you when you send an sms to it that it'll reply too.

garygid said:
Ok, the wrinkle with this plan, the "minutes" (account balance) expires in 1, 3, or 12 months.

Apparently the AT&T Pay As You Go refill cards are available in these amounts and Expirations:

$15 30 days
$25 90 days
$50 90 days
$60 90 days
$100 1 year
and, apparently you must refill before the expiration for your balance to carryover.

So, it is about $8 per month for continuous coverage, even with no usage.

No, the plan I purchased and referenced charges you per minute and per text message as you use them. You don't purchase minutes in advance. You're probably looking at a smartphone plan. The "10 cents a minute" plan is not available for smartphones.

-- Roger

How do you put money into the plan?

You can put $10 or some minimum prepay into the plan, and that money has
no expiration, and keeps your phone active forever?

How can I find that plan?
Is it only offered when you activate the SIM card?

Thanks for your kind help, Gary

garygid said:
How do you put money into the plan?

You can put $10 or some minimum prepay into the plan, and that money has
no expiration, and keeps your phone active forever?

How can I find that plan?
Is it only offered when you activate the SIM card?

Thanks for your kind help, Gary

Yes, you prepay with a credit card and the account is reduced when you use minutes or send text.

Go to http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/plans/ ... plans.html and look at the last plan listed under "Basic/quick messaging phone plans."

Note that you have to enter your zip code before it lists the plans, so it's possible that the "10 cents a minute plan" is not offered in your area. But, I would assume it's available everywhere.

-- Roger

Hmmm is it just me or like someone else wrote:

doesn't the vision app have a last know location or "find me drone" in the app? i thought i saw that in a walk through...

Isn't that kind of the same thing already build in? or...... what?

Klaus said:
...doesn't the vision app have a last know location or "find me drone" in the app? i thought i saw that in a walk through... ...Isn't that kind of the same thing already build in? or...... what?

Vision relays its position back to your phone via Range Extender WiFi. As long as you still have a connection, the Vision app's "Find my Phantom 2 Vision" feature works. But when you lose the connection, the finder can no longer update Vision's location. You can walk towards its last updated position and attempt to reconnect. If successful Vision will relay its current location.

When you call a GPS tracker it sends an SMS text message of its current location to your smartphone. In the message is a URL. Click the link and your Vision's location is displayed in Google Maps on your smartphone.

iDrone

so here is an option called "tile"

Use with an IOS device range is 50 - 150 feet only but apparently as soon as your iOS is in range it pops up

http://www.thetileapp.com/?utm_source=A ... pmt=&pdv=c

Apparently they live for a year then you replace them.. very very small size could be put inside the quad...

apparently this "tile" builds a network so it will be 50 - 150 feet of any IOS then it acts like a repeater I believe not sure

don't see this as a stand alone solution perhaps something one could put inside the quad to "make it yours" that someone probably would not look for... dunno...

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20