Track that Drone

MILLER4PRESIDENT2020 said:
not sure if this would work, but you can go to tracfone.com. Get a for for free or as little as 20 bucks. They have a pay as you go plan. You can buy rollover minutes that will last a year or last 90 days. They give you a free 20minutes when you activate the phone. I know because I have done all the previous steps because I wanted a phone that doesn't have my name on it in case of an "emergency" Like some other guy said, 20 minutes should be enough this is only a last resort in case of a flyaway, your not actually using any of the minutes.

I am guessing you can just switch the sim card out of the phone and put it in the device. I have not done this last step since I don't actually have a tracker

anyone see any flaws with that idea?

Tracfone locks the sim to the phone; you can't swap out the sim using a Tracfone. You probably could swap the sim using a different company, most others do not lock the sim to the phone.

AHill said:
MILLER4PRESIDENT2020 said:
not sure if this would work, but you can go to tracfone.com. Get a for for free or as little as 20 bucks. They have a pay as you go plan. You can buy rollover minutes that will last a year or last 90 days. They give you a free 20minutes when you activate the phone. I know because I have done all the previous steps because I wanted a phone that doesn't have my name on it in case of an "emergency" Like some other guy said, 20 minutes should be enough this is only a last resort in case of a flyaway, your not actually using any of the minutes.

I am guessing you can just switch the sim card out of the phone and put it in the device. I have not done this last step since I don't actually have a tracker

anyone see any flaws with that idea?

Tracfone locks the sim to the phone; you can't swap out the sim using a Tracfone. You probably could swap the sim using a different company, most others do not lock the sim to the phone.
glad you told me that before i tried it

LeoS said:
juarboleda said:
But 300 grs ? Heavy ?

Which one is that?

Mine is quoted at 40gr. I don't have a small/kitchen scale to confirm it, but it's pretty dang light and I don't notice significant change in flight characteristic on my PV with it attached.

In Description product say W 0,3Kg

Agree that the magnet is not a good idea. Interesting application of a GPS locator, however. Let us know how it goes!

jadebox said:
I ordered one from AT&T. The sim card was about $10 delivered. They offer a pay-as-you go plan where calls are 10 cents a minute and text messages are 20 cents each.

-- Roger

Didn't know AT&T offered non-expiring SIM's. Looks like you have to buy GoPhone with it, cheapest one is $14.99 or is there some other way to buy just the SIM?

Wireless - Line 1
DEVICE: A device is required to place your order
PLAN: 10¢/Minute Plan Change $0.00

Nationwide calling within the GoPhone coverage map charged at 10¢/minute
Text, picture & video messages within the US charged at 20¢/message
International Text: Unlimited text messages from US to Mexico, Canada and other countries charged at 25¢/message
Data available at 1¢/5kb only for Quick Messaging/Basic phones.

iDrone

iDrone said:
jadebox said:
I ordered one from AT&T. The sim card was about $10 delivered. They offer a pay-as-you go plan where calls are 10 cents a minute and text messages are 20 cents each.

-- Roger

Didn't know AT&T offered non-expiring SIM's. Looks like you have to buy GoPhone with it, cheapest one is $14.99 or is there some other way to buy just the SIM?

SIM For Basic and Quick Messaging Devices:

http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/device ... vices.html

The price on the site today is even better than I quoted. :)

-- Roger

http://www.pettracker.com/

Got this for Christmas. It actually Works! First 3 months free then 8 bucks a month after. I also use it with my quad or dirtbike if I go out alone. Give's my wife peace of mind. Works anywhere.

I just got my TK-102B GPS Tracker today, so I ordered an AT&T GoPhone for $14.99 with 20©/text plan. Nice little tracker, found out there's a bunch of iPhone apps available to act as a GUI so you don't have to memorize all those SMS command stings. Hope the SIM from the GoPhone works in the tracker ok.

iDrone

Seems all these devices require cellular service to operate. My particular situation where I fly to be safe from public harm usually has no cellular signal strength to speak of.

Being it's out in the boonies, it would be nice to have an app on a smart phone that could try and track the drone's wifi signal. I know you'd have to be pretty close to it to get a blip, but one could assemble a search party with each person having the app and send them in various directions to look for the weak signal.

Or maybe something like this: www.loc8tor.com/model-planes/

Looks like the Loc8tor Plus has a 600 ft range.

That is why it would be nice if the unit upon a crash / uncontrolled landing if the start up noise would sound over and over until the battery ran out or it was found.... then you could wander around and catch the sound and follow it...

THell said:
That is why it would be nice if the unit upon a crash / uncontrolled landing if the start up noise would sound over and over until the battery ran out or it was found.... then you could wander around and catch the sound and follow it...

Next chance I get to the surplus electronics store, I plan to get parts to build this little piezo beeper and attach it to the P2V. At least it will make noise and maybe someone or myself will be able to hear it beeping for help....

http://www.instructables.com/id/Miniatu ... uit-Prank/

For grins, I connected a 9 volt battery to one of those battery monitors for R/C packs. It is pretty loud and I like the idea of flashing LED's as well for if the search continued into the night, the blinking light might also be helpful. This particular one is for 2s - 4s packs so the lowest voltage it would operate on is the low end range of a 2 cell pack. One could use 3v CR2032 cells, probably 2 each in series to get it to work. Or rig it up where all 4 led's are flashing by building up a battery pack, with taps for each of the 4 inputs. Just disconnect the ground wire when not in use. I suspect it would be plenty loud if all 4 indicators and both buzzers were going off. Here's a quick video of the test with a 9 volt battery:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YRDiYiiRkE

TexomaEV said:
Next chance I get to the surplus electronics store, I plan to get parts to build this little piezo beeper and attach it to the P2V. At least it will make noise and maybe someone or myself will be able to hear it beeping for help....

In our rockets, we often use "personal alarms" that you can buy at Radio Shack Wal-Mart or wherever as audible trackers. They have either a pull-pin you can remove to set them off. They are small, inexpensive, and loud. We take advantage of the pull-pin to trigger the alarm when the rocket's parachute deploys. But, you could just remove it before takeoff if you use one with the helicopter.

-- Roger

gpauk said:

I like, but wonder if it can be plugged into the P2V's receiver and maybe use the unused switch on the transmitter to activate ?

Or maybe it could just be powered all the time with a small button cell battery or hardwired to the phantom's pack itself.

QUESTION for flyaway victims: If you were one of the lucky ones to find your P2V after a flyaway, was it still turned on? I'm asking because if a crash somehow turned off the aircraft, then this device would probably not work as designed.

Awesome write-up Roger, I think I'll add that to the "Upgrade your firmware guide" elsewhere on the forum if that's ok with you. BTW, you got the better deal for $10 - now the card is "free" but you have to buy a GoPhone to go with it (least in my zipcode) so it was $14.99 for GoPhone + SIM.

iDrone

iDrone said:
Awesome write-up Roger, I think I'll add that to the "Upgrade you firmware guide" elsewhere on the forum if that's ok with you.

Thanks. That's fine.

BTW, you got the better deal for $10 - now the card is "free" but you have to buy a GoPhone to go with it (least in my zipcode) so it was $14.99 for GoPhone + SIM.
''

Ah ha! I guess that I didn't see the fine print. Still, $15 isn't bad to avoid a monthly fee.

I'm a little concerned about AT&T's coverage in the areas where I'll fly, but it wasn't a big investment and I can test it the next time I'm out in the middle of nowhere.

-- Roger

gpauk said:
Those units work well, I've used a few with roaming sims so they pretty much always get a network... It should always get gps as you are flying out in the open. Cell based location isn't very accurate -- if there's only one cell in view then it's very inaccurate! ....

gpauk, which provider's SIM's did/do you use that will "roam" onto another network, in the event there is no service, that you can recommend?

Roger,
Would you please describe in more detail the plan that you had to buy from AT&T?
The $10 is used per SMS message, one going into the tracker, and one going out?
About 10 or 17 cents per message?
When does the $10 expire, 30 days?
No voice plan necessary?
The At&t site doesn't seem to describe the plan.
Thanks, Gary

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4