Trace, Profile and spotlight modes for Active Track on P4

Reaction score
I haven't been able to test out active track on my P4 yet. I noticed that the Mavic Pro advertises three profiles for active track: Trace, Profile and Spotlight. Does anyone know if the P4 offers these as well? Is it an option that comes up only after you select active track?

Trying to decide whether to keep the P4 or return for a Mavic Pro. This may be a big deal breaker for me.

Thanks,
Bill

That's interesting. I went online to the DJI support link and had a chat with DJI about this. DJI claims that the P4 has these options. This was a week ago that I asked and I didn't push the questioning (i.e. where in the menu, etc. to find it). I thought I'd check here on the forum as you guys provide more complete info often times.

Perhaps they were referring to the P4P?

Perhaps they were referring to the P4P?
perhaps. I did read online that, while the P4 is doing active track, you can use the control stick to adjust the orbital position around the subject you are following. Does anyone have experience with this? And, if I use the sticks on the P4 to move the drone around the active track subject, does it stay in that tracking position when I release the stick? Or does it go right back to tracking from behind?

For example, if I lock onto a subject, use the right control stick to move the drone around to the side of the subject, must I manually maintain that side position? Or can I let go of the stick and now have the drone automatically track from the side of the subject?

DJI just released this video:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

They are going to be adding the Trace/Profile/Spotlight ActiveTrack modes to the Phantom 4. Per the description of the video on YouTube:

"An ActiveTrack intelligence upgrade is coming soon to the Phantom 4"

I have a P4P+. It works fine in all 3 modes. You do have to be careful when the object you are tracking moves toward the drone. It's like pushing a wagon backward or backing a boat trailer. You need to keep perfect alignment or the drone will go off to the side ... which you may not want.

Hello everyone !

I just find out this topic.
I have a phantom 4 pro and I dont know how to use thèse 3 modes with active track. Can some body tell me how to do ?
Is there e something spécial to do in the app to accessible these 3 modes ?

With active track I could only find how to make the drone follow the target. No more.

Thank you for your help.

Here is a YouTube video (
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
) to show you how to use ActiveTrack. Pay attention to this display:

Screen Shot 2017-04-26 at 5.43.30 PM.png

Note the video demonstration started by selecting the ActiveTrack mode. Then on the RIGHT part of the display you will find the "sub-modes" (Trace, Profile, and Spotlight). All three will ask you to identify the target by pointing to the target or drawing a rectangle around it. The main benefit of Active Track is you can let the drone manage both the flight and the camera lock-on to the target (Trace/Profile modes) OR you can control the drone (PITCH, ROLL, ALTITUDE but not YAW) and delligate to ActiveTrack the control of the camera (YAW and Camera Angle) when in Spotlight mode.

I haven't been able to test out active track on my P4 yet. I noticed that the Mavic Pro advertises three profiles for active track: Trace, Profile and Spotlight. Does anyone know if the P4 offers these as well? Is it an option that comes up only after you select active track?

Trying to decide whether to keep the P4 or return for a Mavic Pro. This may be a big deal breaker for me.

Thanks,
Bill

Active track works very well, just keep a respectable height. I was hoping for Gesture mode.
With my P4, I feel like it's a flying camera. The Mavic, ( too late now to know for sure) looks and flies like a true Quad.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic