TP-LINK mod on Range Extender

Reaction score
I modded my extender with both an 8 dbi omni and a 9 dbi directional antenna. The farthest I've gone before losing FPV is just over 5500 feet.

dirkclod said:
Watched a u-tube video done by bigsky helishots and he put a tp-link antenna on his range extender so I got it and the correct cable to do it but before I put this on has anyone here done this and was it helpful ? Not really looking for range but just more signal as where I fly there are big trees around and if I pass behind one I lose signal then I have to go up to regain signal or just fly blind and hope not to hit another tree.

Many here have done the range extender mod. Most of ditched the Tp Link in favor of either a patch antenna from Amazon or antennas from Horizon or FPVLR.com. yes, they work great. And no, nothing is going to get around the fact that you MUST have Line of Sight between your Transmitter/Extender and Phantom in order to maintain control and FPV consistently.

dirkclod said:
Thanks , will not drill hole then .
Keep in mind that you can still greatly increase the line of site range by drilling the hole so that you can use various antennas, but none of them will get you the ability to have successful transmission through obstacles (trees, buildings, etc)

Also keep in mind that if you decide to drill that hole that A: you are very careful removing the screws for the casing (they'll strip if you breathe on them wrong), and B: be very very careful when drilling that you don't hit the circuit-board or you'll need a new extender. You can either remove the board completely or at the very least drill from the side out with a piece of cardboard covering the board. Then again if you don't plan on flying too far out and get a consistent signal when in line of sight, then I wouldn't mess with it.

onesNzeros said:
I modded my extender with both an 8 dbi omni and a 9 dbi directional antenna. The farthest I've gone before losing FPV is just over 5500 feet.
That is fantastic! I did just about the same mod and increased control and FPV from around 1050 feet to 1250 feet. Nowhere what you got. Must be I have my hat on crooked.

onesNzeros said:

Can you please tell me more about your setup? and some information on your mods? Thanks

onesNzeros said:

Wow! RE500? I am using the RE500 with the mod and using a single 5dbi TP Link antenna. I can achieve 1200-1300 feet.

Is your directional antenna the half dome from FPVLR?

I too would like to know.

Thanks

No it doesn't. The 2409 is directional. The flat surface needs to be pointed at the quad during flight. The 2408 puts out a signal in all directions with the weakest coming out of the tip end of the antenna in the direction it is pointing.

I tested my mod today the result was not good

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    833.7 KB · Views: 803
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 684

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics