Tower Refers me to faa.gov/uas

Reaction score
I have only had my drone about 1.5 months but I have called the local tower numerous times to advise them/ask permission of my intent to fly. The last time I called the controller said I need to go to faa.gov/uas since "The FAA is trying to get the towers out of the business of handling there requests." So I go to faa.fov/uas and the page looks very familiar since I have been here a time or two.

So my question is, is there someplace on this page/site where I am supposed to submit the information about my intended flight? I sure don't see it.

Reactions: Falcon900
But if you are a hobby flyer, you are still supposed to contact the airport to notify them anytime you will be flying within 5 miles of the airport. Towers are only 'getting out of it' for part 107 authorization requests.

But if you are a hobby flyer, you are still supposed to contact the airport to notify them anytime you will be flying within 5 miles of the airport. Towers are only 'getting out of it' for part 107 authorization requests.

I do plane to use the drone for both hobby and commercial. I passed the test to add on the rating to my pilot license last week, So, as I understand it, as long as I am hobby/recreationally flying I need only contact the tower and let them know. It's when I am flying for a realtor or something like that, that I have to go and request the waiver off the web site. Is that your understanding as well?

Correct, except you don't request a waiver. You request an airspace authorization.

I do plane to use the drone for both hobby and commercial. I passed the test to add on the rating to my pilot license last week, So, as I understand it, as long as I am hobby/recreationally flying I need only contact the tower and let them know. It's when I am flying for a realtor or something like that, that I have to go and request the waiver off the web site. Is that your understanding as well?

After the test, did you complete the IACRA application and visit your CFI or FSDO to process the application? Just checking you didn't stop the process after the online seminar and "quiz"!

It's not an additional rating on you existing pilot certificate. You can consider it an additional qualification, but the FAA will issue you a UAS certificate showing "Remote Pilot" with sUAS rating. A totally separate piece of plastic.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31