Totally p###ed of with it all!

What has gotten worse for you?
Its fine right now, but when I got it, it had no firmware installed at all. I fumbled through the app and loading firmware on the drone, barely, and got it working. Then the first update came 3 weeks after I got it. I loaded it, but my phone which worked before, didn't work anymore. 2 weeks later, and I tried to get it to work for those two weeks, it started working again. Then, another update came out. I didn't want to load it, but my drone was dead, and the update was the reason according to my phone. It seems like every time I get it working, they come out with another update, that could potentially screw it up. I'm just tired of dji messing with me and my toy I guess.

Its fine right now, but when I got it, it had no firmware installed at all. I fumbled through the app and loading firmware on the drone, barely, and got it working. Then the first update came 3 weeks after I got it. I loaded it, but my phone which worked before, didn't work anymore. 2 weeks later, and I tried to get it to work for those two weeks, it started working again. Then, another update came out. I didn't want to load it, but my drone was dead, and the update was the reason according to my phone. It seems like every time I get it working, they come out with another update, that could potentially screw it up. I'm just tired of dji messing with me and my toy I guess.

Why was the drone "dead"? I'm not sure what you mean by "dead". The DJI app reported that the drone as "dead" because of the update? How was this reported? But it appears that for some reason each and every time it just starts working a few weeks later?

Why was the drone "dead"? I'm not sure what you mean by "dead". The DJI app reported that the drone as "dead" because of the update? How was this reported? But it appears that for some reason each and every time it just starts working a few weeks later?
It was dead. Wouldn't turn a prop, wouldn't transmit video, nothing. The battery powered up, but that was it. And the app told me that I needed the update, and wouldn't let the drone take off til I got it. That's dead in the water in my book.

And with the exception of the one time it "just started working", all the rest of the times, I had to load a new app to get it going. You don't have to believe me, but this thing has been nothing but a pain in the butt since I took delivery. New apps, gimbal screwing up, camera falling off in mid flight, I would not buy another one. I'm just waiting for the rest of the industry to catch dji, then I'll have a choice.

It was dead. Wouldn't turn a prop, wouldn't transmit video, nothing. The battery powered up, but that was it. And the app told me that I needed the update, and wouldn't let the drone take off til I got it. That's dead in the water in my book.

So the drone would only turn on if the newest bin file was on the SD card? The Go app was not allowing the P3 to turn on yet the P3 will turn on without the Go app running at all. Odd. I don't know of anyone that has been unable to turn their P3's on without the newest bin file being on the SD card. As I have mentioned, there are a lot of people who have not updated through many updates and still fly. In the past I've not updated and while the Go app reported that I needed to update, the P3 flew just fine. No issues.

Being a electrical engineer taking care of a 5 floor mail order returns centre controlled by a Plc system on my own from day to day I'm sure I can handle a a fw update on a rc quadcopter. I'm just a great believer in if it is not broken then don't fix it especially without my consent. I've always known 1 day I would update but not until I was happy with what I read in the forums and so far I have not.
if you would like i can send you my phone number and you can call me and i could help you with the firm ware updates.

if you would like i can send you my phone number and you can call me and i could help you with the firm ware updates.
I'm good. Thanks

This is the nature of apps (esp Android). It's probably the first thing someone should try when the app stops working.
Well, using an android. Cell phones and computers are my nemesis.

Just so you all know, I took the drone out just now. Hooked everything up, and got a message up in the safe to fly box "need firmware update". I put the controller down, disgusted, and took a walk down the beach. When I decided to come back, my phone said safe to fly. So apparently I don't have to download a new app every flippin time it comes out, I just have to wait a few minutes for the thing to realize what I'm doing. That's it then, I never have to download another app. I just have to be real careful and not destroy my phone, or I'll have to load an app on the new phone. And it'll be the newest one, the one that helps you fly in frigid weather. It was 75 here today. FRIGID!

.......... I would not buy another one. I'm just waiting for the rest of the industry to catch dji, then I'll have a choice.

You mean to say when other makers start making their crap better and make the crap just as bad a DJI, then you'll buy THEIR crap?

And the app told me that I needed the update, and wouldn't let the drone take off til I got it. That's dead in the water in my book.
Sounds like a misunderstanding.
The app advises that a new firmware update is available - but that's it.
You never "have to update" and the app will not stop you from flying with old firmware.

I've always known 1 day I would update but not until I was happy with what I read in the forums and so far I have not.
It's very easy to get the wrong idea from online forums.
The majority of people come here to solve their problems - but the majority of users don't have those problems.
You'll always find people complaining about firmware updates and many would have no problems if they could just follow the simple instructions.
Out of the hundreds of thousands of P3 owners, the few with update issues are only a drop in the bucket.

It's very easy to get the wrong idea from online forums.
The majority of people come here to solve their problems - but the majority of users don't have those problems.
You'll always find people complaining about firmware updates and many would have no problems if they could just follow the simple instructions.
Out of the hundreds of thousands of P3 owners, the few with update issues are only a drop in the bucket.

Thanks for the good positive reply

Ya, probably just a misunderstanding. I will however, never get used to the constant updates, and notions of my drone being disabled after purchase. I know two people with phantoms, my best friend, and me. We have both had issues with updates, or software if you like. , So out of the two people I know, 100% of them are having trouble. And I don't remember anything about being versed in computer programing to own one of these things. I have received a lot of help on this site, with mechanical issues, gimbal not functioning properly, how to replace the camera, etc. I think where the site falls short, is the many computer geniuses, that think you are unable to update, or load firmware onto your drone. The simple fact being, as I now understand it with my pea brain, is you don't need all the new updates. Just the one that works for you. I guess the geniuses forgot to mention that. They are to concerned about loading the latest version, and being up to date. That's ok. They can do that if they want. I would rather take video, be it with my phantom, or whatever brand I end up with.

Sounds like a misunderstanding.
The app advises that a new firmware update is available - but that's it.
You never "have to update" and the app will not stop you from flying with old firmware.
This is the first time I have ever, EVER heard this! I was of the mind set that when a new update came out, you had to take it. Coupled with the fact that when I fired my phantom up, that was the first thing I noticed on my phone, a need firmware update where the safe to fly ought to be. So what do I do? download the update, since I want to fly, and I'm under the "misunderstanding" that if I don't do the update, I'm grounded.

No, I think someone needs to stay away from the "firmware" posts, and just pay attention to the other parts of the site.

Buford,

I don't think you read enough firmware posts. Many don't update. I'm still flying on 1.1.9+ from its out of the box delivery state. No issues. Old motors and shell. I did a cold IMU calibration and it shortened the warm up to 5 seconds. Before the calibration, I would wait a minute or more before it was Safe to Fly-GPS, and the status display said I needed an IMU calibration. It would go away after waiting and I made many flights, until i did the calibration. I really think you just misunderstood the start up process?

SD

Just so you all know, I took the drone out just now. Hooked everything up, and got a message up in the safe to fly box "need firmware update". I put the controller down, disgusted, and took a walk down the beach. When I decided to come back, my phone said safe to fly. So apparently I don't have to download a new app every flippin time it comes out, I just have to wait a few minutes for the thing to realize what I'm doing. That's it then, I never have to download another app. I just have to be real careful and not destroy my phone, or I'll have to load an app on the new phone. And it'll be the newest one, the one that helps you fly in frigid weather. It was 75 here today. FRIGID!

Thanks for posting the follow up. Always good to hear that things got better for someone flying. Agreed, that warning is not the best as it stays incorrect for a little while. I always see that as well 1) it makes you think you can't fly without updating and 2) even after an update it is still displayed for a short while. You don't need to wait on the warning, you can fly with it displayed.

I think I just didn't know that the updates aren't mandatory, but I do now. As for reading enough posts on firmware, I read virtually all of them, and not until the last two days was anything mentioned about not updating and still being able to fly. But it really isn't an issue. All web forums are like this. You get on, thinking you are going to find something out, and go away with less than you came with. Its happened to me, on here as a matter of fact, twice. A kid wrecked his camera and the gimbal was toast. I guided him through what I did when my gimbal went bad. He thanked me, and the next day, he put the same post up. So, I became like one of these firmware guys, spewing out information that was no good to me. Its all relative. I just need to be more careful where I get information from.....oh, and not update :)

Thanks for posting the follow up. Always good to hear that things got better for someone flying. Agreed, that warning is not the best as it stays incorrect for a little while. I always see that as well 1) it makes you think you can't fly without updating and 2) even after an update it is still displayed for a short while. You don't need to wait on the warning, you can fly with it displayed.
Yeah, you and one other guy said the same thing. First I've heard of it, and had the drone since September. Thanks to you, and that other guy, whoever he is!

And with the exception of the one time it "just started working", all the rest of the times, I had to load a new app to get it going. You don't have to believe me, but this thing has been nothing but a pain in the butt since I took delivery. New apps, gimbal screwing up, camera falling off in mid flight, I would not buy another one. I'm just waiting for the rest of the industry to catch dji, then I'll have a choice.
"Camera fell off mid flight " . That's a new one , how does this happen?

Ya got me. Its only held on magnetically, but it continued to fall of on every flight. I could see it doing that if I crashed it every flight, but I didn't. Ordered a new camera, installed it, and its been fine ever since.

"Camera fell off mid flight " . That's a new one , how does this happen?
This is exactly what anti-drop pins are fitted for.
i-ZDTpGVL-L.jpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic