Topping off batteries?

Reaction score
So I've had a couple of flights where I didn't use all of my battery. Is charging it from 60% or so ok to do or should I not do that and just run it down? Is that considered a charging cycle since it isn't fully depleted?

Reactions: fw190
You should always take off with a fully charged battery. Always.
Do a search and you will see how many have crashed their AC by taking off with less than a full charge.
I always top off, especially if I haven't charged them in a week or so.
I think it doesn't count as "times charged" until it is below 50% or so.

You should always take off with a fully charged battery. Always.
Do a search and you will see how many have crashed their AC by taking off with less than a full charge.
I always top off, especially if I haven't charged them in a week or so.
I think it doesn't count as "times charged" until it is below 50% or so.

I've actually almost had this issue already. I did a night flight and only used 40% of the battery. The next morning I took off with 60% and after flying a few minutes I got a message saying I didn't have enough battery to get home. It tried to land in a Forrest. I canceled the landing and made it home barely. With 7% battery left. The p4 falls out of the sky at what, 5%?

So I've had a couple of flights where I didn't use all of my battery. Is charging it from 60% or so ok to do or should I not do that and just run it down? Is that considered a charging cycle since it isn't fully depleted?

Charging cycles with lithium-based batteries are a simple way to represent cumulative charging. So charging from 60% is not a full cycle - more like half a cycle.

Reactions: Duchunter
My typical flight pack usage of my P4 has been flying either a single Mission or a number of small hops as I learn, and usually end up in the 50% discharge range. At his point, I just remove the pack then recharge to 100% when I fly again. I'll cool the pack back to room temp before charging if flying again that day, otherwise just park the pack alongside the P4 till the next time. Doing partial cycles not deep cycles will greatly help your flight packs life. I've posted the link before elsewhere, but a very good resource on all sorts of battery technologies can be found here: How to Prolong Lithium-based Batteries - Battery University

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan