Top up charges at 80%

Reaction score
Hi everyone, well my new p3a is all calibrated ready to go, decided not to update anything because of some nightmare stories, just wanted to know if you top up your battery that's at 80% will it harm the battery or is it ok to go ahead.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

no

if your going out to fly, always start with a full charge. Once you get 10-20 cycles, you can let it discharge to resting voltage and then cycle it back to 100. I would never start without at least a 90 plus charge as 80 percent resting is less than that under load. It wont hurt anything.

if your going out to fly, always start with a full charge. Once you get 10-20 cycles, you can let it discharge to resting voltage and then cycle it back to 100. I would never start without at least a 90 plus charge as 80 percent resting is less than that under load. It wont hurt anything.

How do you let it discharge just leave it on or turn the motors?

How do you let it discharge just leave it on or turn the motors?

the dji app has a setting timer thats starts a self discharge - takes a day or two depending upon where it starts at. set it to two days and wait.

Self discharge will not discharge down to 8%. You got to connect to p3, turn motors on. Also use an external fan to cool P3 during discharge cycle.

Self discharge will not discharge down to 8%. You got to connect to p3, turn motors on. Also use an external fan to cool P3 during discharge cycle.

Sounds like 8% is the optimal discharge.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Seems like this got away from the original question. If your battery is showing 80%, it's fine to charge it up to 100% and it's wise to do so before flying.

Seems like this got away from the original question. If your battery is showing 80%, it's fine to charge it up to 100% and it's wise to do so before flying.

Wow straight answer I like that I'll do so thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Hi everyone, well my new p3a is all calibrated ready to go, decided not to update anything because of some nightmare stories, just wanted to know if you top up your battery that's at 80% will it harm the battery or is it ok to go ahead
Furthermore, it's not safe to go flying witha battery at 80%.
Always charge to 100% before flying.

And stop worrying about those horror stories.
If thousands of people are having a problem that's one thing but because a couple of people (who may or may not know what they are doing) had a problem, doesn't mean much.

Furthermore, it's not safe to go flying witha battery at 80%.
Always charge to 100% before flying.

And stop worrying about those horror stories.
If thousands of people are having a problem that's one thing but because a couple of people (who may or may not know what they are doing) had a problem, doesn't mean much.

Thanks for the advice, but these "nightmare" stories are very real as specially with updates

Yes. But of the thousands who are flying, if three of them have a nightmare problem, all three will start threads on www.phantompilots.com, while the other five hundred thousand who didn't have a problem won't say a word...

Anyways... many of us are familiar with the older generation Li-Ion batteries which had a memory, and were taught to always treat them a certain way to keep a healthy battery; I learned it was best to take them down to about 30% or so and then fully charge them. Anything different could potentially damage them. But the new generation Li-Po doesn't have the memory problem, so no worries. Before flight, you can and should give it a full charge from whatever charge state it is in.

Reactions: BigAl07
Thanks for the advice, but these "nightmare" stories are very real as specially with updates
Consider this: for every post you see of that individual having update problems there are a thousand that have no issues at all - presuming they follow the instructions.

Further, the greatest majority that have problems are new to DJI UAVs, and a lot of those new users are very young. That's one aspect of the anonymous posters on forums few seem to consider. It's entirely possible that the person posting about his/her nightmare is a 12 year old just learning how to fly the present their Granddad gave them for a birthday.

Generally speaking - DJI has the updates working pretty solidly and offer most of the information concerning what the update does so you can decide for yourself if you need to install it.

Lastly - regarding batteries at 80%. ALWAYS start a flight with a 100% charge. There's absolutely no reason to start a flight with any less and take a risk that you may not be able to land safely, and where the UAV can be retrieved. Personally, I have four batteries and two chargers. I also have a power inverter that can be plugged in in the vehicle to keep topped up on the way out to fly if I have a long day & trip planned to do so.

Last edited:
At least half of the people reporting these very real nightmare stories, can't or don't read the manual, don't follow correct procedures and are mistaken in their observations.
Some of them couldn't tie their shoelaces properly.
Use caution before you let irrational fear run away with your Phantom.
Rather than focusing on a very small number of incidents, many of which are of questionable relaibility, pay attention to the hundreds of thousands not having those problems.

Every day people crash their cars driving on the highway.
You know that but you still drive on the highway because you keep things in perspective.
Same principle applies when flying a Phantom.

Reactions: SteveAikens
i just charge my battery's never let them discharge had no problems .also done all updates had no problems .only problem i had was flying in 30 mph winds and lost bird to wind gust to 40 my fault

Reactions: alokbhargava

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik