Took The Part 107 Test Today

Reaction score
I am proud/lucky to have been one of the first in the door taking the FAA Part 107 test on the first day it came out/new regs went into effect. The test was not easy, but I definitely would not call it hard if you study for it. My opinion: There are a lot of people selling study guides for this test. SAVE YOUR MONEY. If you go to the FAA site and take their 107 Study Course and pass the practice test you should do fine. Make sure you are good at reading charts and know about the weather questions! My greatest problem was reading the provided charts in the book they give you when you go in. The print on the charts is VERY SMALL, and dumb-*** me, I forgot my reading glasses. That did not go over so well, lol! Take the free FAA course, study a bit more and then have at it folks, get that certification and let's get this new frontier of commercial drone use going!!

Nice work Gary! Congratulations. Good advice on the free pubs/assets available out there.

Did you take this survey on the pass/fail?
POLL: Pass your 107 Knowledge test?

I am proud/lucky to have been one of the first in the door taking the FAA Part 107 test on the first day it came out/new regs went into effect. The test was not easy, but I definitely would not call it hard if you study for it. My opinion: There are a lot of people selling study guides for this test. SAVE YOUR MONEY. If you go to the FAA site and take their 107 Study Course and pass the practice test you should do fine. Make sure you are good at reading charts and know about the weather questions! My greatest problem was reading the provided charts in the book they give you when you go in. The print on the charts is VERY SMALL, and dumb-*** me, I forgot my reading glasses. That did not go over so well, lol! Take the free FAA course, study a bit more and then have at it folks, get that certification and let's get this new frontier of commercial drone use going!!

Congrats, passed my this morning too!

Took the test today too, and passed. It took less than 40 minutes to get through. As others here mentioned, it's not super easy, but not hard either. You've got to study and understand the material as outlined for Part 107.

Did any of you catch any numbers as to how many people were testing? Where I went, they had 4 today, they were expecting 25 in the coming week.

Congratulations! I too pass the test today. I got a score of 92% or 55 out of 60. I did better than I expected. I have not taken a test for a long while and it made me feel anxious of the unknown. I started studying seriously a week ago and read through the pilot's handbook provided by the FAA site along with the study guide. I also used an app called flightready that simulates the testing process And in that sense it helped in the preparation but there was probably only two questions that were in the test versus the simulation. I thought the place was going to be packed but I was only the 5th guy according to the tester by the afternoon. Good luck to everyone else.

Did any of you catch any numbers as to how many people were testing? Where I went, they had 4 today, they were expecting 25 in the coming week.

3 people during my afternoon time slot. I was told by the proctor, they also had 3 in the morning session. The site I was at only had 3 testing stations.

Passed mine today also. It was harder than I thought it would be, but preparation made all the difference for my old brain cells.... I haven't had to do a test for over 30yrs!

How long did the test take

I took the test on Friday, 9/2.

I passed with 82%.

It took me about 50 minutes, including 2-3 times running through each question to confirm answers. All of the questions are three-part multiple choice. Some of the questions are "tricky," (or would be if you haven't studied and don't understand the difference between MSL and AGL, runway designations, compass directions, radio frequency labels and purpose, etc.)

I studied for 40 hours.

Despite my studying, I had to guess on 11 questions.

There were MANY questions that required knowing specific numerical values, and a clear understanding of the concept of "greater than, less than, less than or equal to, greater than or equal to." (No number mentioned in the study materials or UAS regulations is off-limits).

Last edited:
Very interested in hearing from anyone in Australia who has done the equivalent CASA test....congrats @GaryM !

The FAA has suggested that the exam requires 10 to 20 hours of study in preparation. Some of the training courses can help to reduce that time. This test is designed to not be a "memorize the answers" exam. Unfortunately, the many of the listed "reference materials" in the FAA official Test Guide (FAA-G-8082-20) are outdated or broken links, which can cause some confusion and frustration. Anyone having completed a ground school course will have a much easier time, especially with the portions relating to charts and weather. I passed it in the first hour it was available. There were 3,000 exams processed that first day. The FAA had predicted a 90% pass rate. Time will tell if that is the case. The encouraging thing is that so many are taking on the challenge to learn what is necessary to pass the exam. Recreational operators would do well to learn the material as well, if only in the interest of safety. Unfortunately, a great many posts on this forum provide examples of what not to do.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1