took off

Reaction score
I have a brand new fc40 and did start up and calibration marked home all is well.Took off 10 ft in air checked everything out.gps atti all good then after higher alt. Steady green blink all of a sudden it started a slow rotation which i could not correct then started to fly to the right at a good speed into the pucker brush.I know that people miss things but i do not think i did.Should i try another calibration

Did you get 2 rounds of the quick blinking green lights(@20 blinks in each sequence)? Then a green only pulse about every 2 secs before you took off? If so it wouldn't hurt to do another compass calibration and or even a advanced calibration. My $.02. Good luck!

Yes to the above.Will do a recalibration.As for advance calibration i have not done that.How do you do that?

In the software click on the Tools section. Choose advanced calibration from there. You did download and install both software tools as well as the manual, did you?

If you mean calibration by doing the compass dance, that's not enough and will not tell your Phantom the exact declination and the specific compass error at your position. The compass dance is needed when you move to an entirely different location. If you stay in the same area you shouldn't need a compass dance every time, although it doesn't hurt and it will give you peace of mind. The basic and advanced calibration in the Naza Assistant is the first thing you need to do before flying for the first time. Although the phantom is expected to fly straight out of the box, many people, including myself, found that after the advanced calibration things behaved finally like they should.

While in the software, take the opportunity to setup the IOC and FailSave (Return to home) switches. ~Then, after you did the advanced calibration, power up the quad, wait for 2 sequences of green lights, wait until it is only blinking green every 2 seconds. THAN do the compass dance one more time. And now you're good to go.

If you set the IOC switch you can easily check if your Phantom has written the HomePoint correctly (and that you can be sure it will return home when a FailSafe happens, unless your battery suddenly dies or connections are loose, of course). Just set the S1 switch to HomeLock and direct the quad away from you diagonally some 30 yards. Then move the pitch stick towards you. Is the quad coming towards the home point? If so, everything will work concerning RTH and GPS mode (again, unless there's a malfunction somewhere). I do this check every time before i start my flight. If the Phantom doesn't behave like it should, land and do a basic or advanced calibration (on the PC). Always do the compass dance after recalibration.

And reading the manual wouldn't hurt a bit, but I presume you do, like we all do, now don't we? :)
I'm a sucker for manuals when it comes to remotely controlled devices. Just suck up every bit of knowledge and browse the web for more info, and then some. The responsibility we have when something goes wrong is underestimated by a lot of people I'm afraid.
Not here of course, that's why we joined the forum in the first place :)

Try out the Return to Home Switch, I know it is odd the first time, to let the Phantom control itself to home, but do it, AFTER you did all of the above. Learn how the IOC works. It might save the day when the day comes, and it will come someday.

Yesterday I was flying out 200m and was near a tree line. The camera connection was gone because of the distance. I couldn't tell if the Phantom was facing me or the trees. I couldn't tell if it was 30m in front of the trees or right under. I didn't dare to go forward or backward or up. Afraid that it would hit the trees. Only thing to do was switching to HomeLock. Lucky that I had that activated. With HomeLock the quad just flew back to me in a straight line, no matter in what direction the nose was pointing. Saved my day, I'm sure I would have flown it into the trees because I always gamble wrong, certainly in these situations.

Bit of a long post but what the hack, I'm here anyway so why not.

It needs to be in GPS mode for the home lock(in IOC)to work(at least that's what I'm experiencing). I panicked when I couldn't get it to head back towards me but remembered I was flying in ATTI mode, switched up to GPS and all was good.

Ok thanks I will do advance cal. tomorrow and post my results.All the rest has been done.

Ok did the advance calibration then the dance tried it 20-30 ft .seems to be ok .will keep posted. Thanks

I feel like I'm flying without a net. I've never done any of the computer set-up stuff that lake flyer suggested. I will do this tonight.

ATOMSK said:
I feel like I'm flying without a net. I've never done any of the computer set-up stuff that lake flyer suggested. I will do this tonight.

I do have to give mine full throttle to get it going up but just for the first 1-5ft then it will hover at center stick. But it does go up quickly when I do give it full up. Is that what other experience and is that normal???

Mine does the same. Think that's pretty normal seeing the speed they can ascend in normal flight.

I can use half-throttle mine to get it off the ground, but if i'm taking off from grass, it tends to lean forward during lift-off. I think there is some forward hover during take-off, so I tend to do full-throttle till I get it up to 6'.

Saved my day, I'm sure I would have flown it into the trees because I always gamble wrong, certainly in these situations.
You should all install a front light on Your FC. Best thing i ever done. Now it is easy to see when front i turned to you or not. Even in Bright sun. Very strong LEDs. On ebay , cost almost nothing. Stick it on with Velcro. Looks cool in the dark too. UFO -

ATOMSK said:
I can use half-throttle mine to get it off the ground, but if i'm taking off from grass, it tends to lean forward during lift-off. I think there is some forward hover during take-off, so I tend to do full-throttle till I get it up to 6'.
Excactly the same with my FC40 . It can even flip over when taking off from grass. I uses a small toolbox suitecase as takeoff pad.

Half throttle is center stick. I have to go at least 3/4 or full throttle to lift off.

Bjornh said:
Saved my day, I'm sure I would have flown it into the trees because I always gamble wrong, certainly in these situations.
You should all install a front light on Your FC. Best thing i ever done. Now it is easy to see when front i turned to you or not. Even in Bright sun. Very strong LEDs. On ebay , cost almost nothing. Stick it on with Velcro. Looks cool in the dark too. UFO -

Yeah, good advice and figured that out already :) Installed an insanely bright LED ring from an old cheap fancy flashlight around the FC Cam on the nose. Visible from a great distance and even at broad daylight. Sometimes though, even a bright LED is just nothing when the sun hits it.

Cajvol94 said:
Half throttle is center stick. I have to go at least 3/4 or full throttle to lift off.

I do have prop guards on so I'm sure that will make it a tad sluggish?

I also use prop guards painted the front florescent red and do not plan on taking them off. They can save you a lot of grief and agravation and give you a larger picture.

rogerdel said:
I also use prop guards painted the front florescent red and do not plan on taking them off. They can save you a lot of grief and agravation and give you a larger picture.

No doubt. Mines florescent orange. Makes the craft look bigger!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik