Took my P3 up to 35,000'

Reaction score
True it was on an airline but this was my first time to fly with the drone. :)

Some things to consider.
- The airport security did, at one location, have to inspect the bag and wipe stuff on the outside of the P3 I guess looking for explosives
- If you are in group 5 boarding you may not find a spot to store it on a full flight. I got lucky.
- The DroneCrates backpack has been awesome for the trip but I was questioned by an airline attendant on whether it would fit in the sizing station for carry on. Not sure if it does but it fit in the overhead bin just fine.

I flew to San Francisco and did get a chance to fly around the bay area. In Portland OR now and hopefully will get some of the mountain ranges around here if I have time.

Reactions: ELHEAPO and Reed L
How high is too high to fly...

image.jpeg

Over Dubai at night.

RedHotPoker

Just flew with mine, security didn't bat an eyelash as I went through. I was surprised!

Are the LiPo batteries not a problem? How many did you have in the case?

Are the LiPo batteries not a problem? How many did you have in the case?
I've heard there is a limit, I think it's 6 batteries that are no more than 6000mah, or something like that. They are supposed to be discharged, but I don't think any of the TSA folks know to check that, I've never been asked. I've flown commercially 4 times and I never had to open my backpack. With my backpack weighing in at 11lbs fully loaded with 4 batteries, transmitter, Marco Polo tracker and extra props, it's a breeze to take anywhere I go, including on my mountain bike. I recently expanded my flight areas with an electric mountain bike. Oh man!

Last edited:
I've heard there is a limit, I think it's 6 batteries that are no more than 6000mah, or something like that. They are supposed to be discharged, but I don't think any of the TSA folks know to check that, I've never been asked. I've flown commercially 4 times and I never had to open my backpack. With my backpack weighing in at 11lbs fully loaded with 4 batteries, transmitter, Marco Polo tracker and extra props, it's a breeze to take anywhere I go, including on my mountain bike. I recently expanded my flight areas with an electric mountain bike. Oh man!
Travelling with Items that contain Batteries | Before You Fly | Passengers

Lipo is apparently ok in the carry on but not ok for the check on bags.

So we can travel with the drone and batteries as long as they are carry on? Sweet! I want to take this on my next trip to Asia.

lipos in fireproof bag, in carry on. it used to be that doing that would raise tsa suspicion because they dont read their manuals and had no clue what it is. they'd swipe it for explosive traces and the like.. lol.

nowadays its very common so they just let it through without further investigation 99% of the time.

not having space for carry on IS a huge problem thought, when they ask you to "check in" just tell them that you cannot, by law, due to lipos (which is true) - they can always store it in the flight attendants compartments.

Swiping for explosives is randomly picked by the walk through scanner. It has nothing to do with your bag, your appearance or number of batteries in your bag. It is entirely random.

I gave gone through airport security a few times m8stly no hassle. Have been asked to take out of bag a couple of times. Tip if putting phantom in try through scanner put in upside down, the flaps going into scan compartment can make the bird fall over and maybe out of tray while convayor pushes it through, could get messy. I had to make a dive to stop it getting damaged. All good just sayin.

Reactions: happytreefriends
I've been flying a lot lately with 5 batteries in a carry-on - all but one time I had them open the case and swab for explosives. I have also worried about not finding overhead - but I am pretty sure they would make a concession and ask someone else to check - as mentioned above - you have to BY LAW have your lipo's on board with you.

Swiping for explosives is randomly picked by the walk through scanner. It has nothing to do with your bag, your appearance or number of batteries in your bag. It is entirely random.
If the contents look suspicious they have every right to do secondary screening (it is not always random). I just went through the airport yesterday and had this happen. They asked if it was a drone in the bag and swabbed it.

Just made it to Australia so my title could be "p3 record flight, 8000 miles" [emoji6]

I have the dji hard case and it fit easily in the overheads. I'm not a huge fan of the dji logo on it. Seems needless to advertise exactly what I have inside, especially when going internationally. That's coming off after this trip.

Now if this **** weather would start cooperating!

To the posters asking about if it's legal to fly in other countries...do a bit of research before you go. for my trip to Thailand in 2 weeks, my p3 is (unfortunately) staying home!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan