Too Cold for IMU Calibration?

Reaction score
I did the IMU calibration inside my house and then took my P3S out to my garage to at least hover it for the first time since I bought it. After I hovered for a couple minutes I landed and noticed that the gimbal was making the grinding type noise it makes when doing the gimbal calibration. The noise would stop when I rotated the camera down, but would start again when the camera was moved back to the forward position. I moved the P3S back inside the house to room temperature and within a couple minutes the noise stopped for good. It appears the cold temperature is causing this. It is currently 27 F here. Does this mean that I need to do the cold IMU calibration? If so, is my current outside temperature to cold to do the IMU calibration and/or safely fly my PS3? I have not made a first flight yet and I don't want to mess something up before I even get started.

You should always do the IMU calibration in a chilly environment. It should be just-barely above freezing, or at least a lot colder than you'd normally fly it in warmer weather. Once it's set, you only need to do it again after a new firmware update, or after it may have been badly bumped (during travel, perhaps).

However, in wintery weather, you don't need to calibrate below freezing.

I use the refrigerator for 20 mins. then calibrate it on my perfectly-level kitchen table (proven by a carpenter's level), where everything's ready to go. It doesn't need to be actually-calibrated in the cold, but it should be done before it warms up. Some folks don't like the fridge idea, but it's above freezing and not humid. I'm a former ski-race timing official, so we handled good cameras and electronics in much-colder places with no problems!

You should also do the gimbal calibration on your level table. Only the compass needs to be calibrated outdoors away from metal, and only when necessary (significantly new location).

Reactions: yojo182 and BDHX2
Meant to add. Before I put the Phantom in the fridge, I remove the battery, so it stays warm. And make sure you remove the gimbal clamp before turning anything on. I've forgotten that a couple of times.

Reactions: BDHX2
Meant to add. Before I put the Phantom in the fridge, I remove the battery, so it stays warm. And make sure you remove the gimbal clamp before turning anything on. I've forgotten that a couple of times.
Yes, I caught myself doing that with the gimbal clamp too

That's why my gimbal clamp has a big REMOVE BEFORE FLIGHT tag on it. I always forget the damned thing.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20