Toilet Bowl GPS Hover After Crash - Phantom Vision

Reaction score
Hey guys, I tried searching about how to fix the toilet bowl effect but I couldn't find a topic that was similar enough to mine to go by although I did take advice from some other threads about recalibrating the IMU. I have a Phantom Vision and it has never had a hovering problem before this incident.

Long story short, I was flying at night, hit a single wire suspended from a pole to a house, lost control, crashed into the house, and fell about 3 feet down onto a flat roof. When I got up there, all of the propeller blades were broken and the camera was being held on by one shock absorber. Other than that there was no other physical damage. I replaced all of the props and camera absorbers and it started back up and flew like nothing happened.

Maybe it was just me just expecting a problem and nothing was really wrong, but I thought it didn't hover as still as it used to before the crash. Seemed to be doing 5 foot circles in GPS mode. So I did a basic IMU calibration and a compass recalibration (advice I read off another thread to do after a crash) and when I took it back out, it actually got MUCH worse. It was fluctuating altitude by 3 - 4 feet and was doing about 15 foot circles when trying to hold a GPS position with the sticks centered. I brought it in and did an advanced IMU calibration and another compass calibration. Took it back out and it's still doing the exact same thing. I tried switching from GPS to ATTI mode with the S1 switch and that doesn't effect anything. Still big slow sweeping circles. Other than that, it flies fine if you are constantly moving it.

Any other troubleshooting ideas or is this thing doomed?

This is old now, but what was your resolution on this? My story is surprisingly similar although I still have an ESC/motor that I'll be replacing when the parts come in. In the meantime, I'm researching what else could be causing those symptoms.

Let me know!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan