Toilet Bowl Effect (TBE) on a Phantom 1

Reaction score
Hi Gang

I've got a Phantom v1.1.1 with firmware 4.02. When it was new out of the box, it hovered perfectly. Now, after 20-30 flights, I'm getting a pronounced swirl at hover.

Done advanced IMU calibration and compass calibration. Mod values 1,600 - 1,700.

Live near Ottawa with declination 13w.

It can't be the compass position as it was fine when new.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Do a "Restore Default settings" from the IMU cal page, then advanced IMU cal, then stick cal then do your compass cal. Might check also to make sure your props are balanced.

I live near Ottawa and I already wrote a topic on this subject.

Turn your compass on the leg about 15 degrees COUNTER clockwise on the leg. It will hold on just fine.

Do a compass claibration. Lift it, and it will be steady has a rock.

Ericdes

Many thanks for your suggestion. I have read many, many posts on this issue and most of them also say to rotate the compass module. However, most of these posts relate to the P2 and DJI have admitted to a bug on that bird. DJI have also said that rotating the compass module is not, repeat not, the way to fix it (http://www.phantompilots.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=10317).

If the P1 was subject to this problem, then my bird would have shown it right out of the box. Mine did not - it was fine at first.

I have reset the IMU to factory defaults and, as soon as the weather clears, I'll see if that had any effect.

Cheers

Actually this fix does not work on the phantom 2 because it's custom firmware should automatically compensate for the declination and does not. It's a bug. There is a rather long and technical post about this and pilots here are working with dji to fix it.

This in fact work very well on the phantom 1. Dji themselves writes in the NAZA manual but the one they are talking incorporates the GPS and compass in the same module. We only need to rotate the compass.

Trust me on this one it works and takes 5 minutes working 4 screws. Try it. Don't like it put it back the way it was.

But you won't!

OK.

I reset the factory defaults for the IMU, recalibrated the transmitter and the swirlies are gone!

Many thanks Emcsquar.

However, there is a mild bit of hooking after going straight out in CL. I'll try rotating the compass and check.

Thanks to both of you.

mikeve said:
OK.

I reset the factory defaults for the IMU, recalibrated the transmitter and the swirlies are gone!

Many thanks Emcsquar.

However, there is a mild bit of hooking after going straight out in CL. I'll try rotating the compass and check.

Thanks to both of you.

You mentioned you calibrated transmitter, did you do advanced IMU calibration after restting defaults? If not make sure to do so.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stovebayen