Today I am sick ..... Literally...

I suspect the reason is that we would never be able to fly in atti mode if that were the case.
Just make that feature in P mode , and atti mode as it is now would be manual override , just a thought...

Reactions: JWH
I have a Phantom 4. I use the iPad mini 4, with cellular, so it has the GPS. It is my understanding that having GPS in the mobile device is to get the correct map location on the screen. .... if you use a mobile device that doesn't have the GPS, the drone will still record the home point, you just won't have a map to verify it. Am I correct?
No .. The GPS in the tablet is only used for follow-me flight and resetting your homepoint to the current location of the controller.
It is not related to your map or the position shown on the screen.
The position shown comes from the Phantom's GPS (it is the position of the Phantom after all) and the mapping comes from the internet, whether you get it live or have it cached before you fly.

Sometimes I fly with my tablet (NVidia Shield) instead of using my phone, tablet is WIFI ONLY. When I fire everything up I hear " The Home Point has been updated please check it on the map," I am aware I don't have a map to view its when I fly line of sight and opt for a larger screen then my phone . Never had any problems or have I had to use Return To Home (so far), am I running a risk loosing signal & it not being able to return to home because I'm using my tablet?
Phone or tablet makes no difference.
Your Phantom is bale to return to home because it records the GPS location of home ... not because it follows a map.
You can have mapping with the Shield if you cache the maps of the area you fly in while you are at home or somewhere with wifi.

you also need double check the loss of signal action. You have to select whether you want the drone to return to home or to hover upon loss of signal. I always have mine set to return to home.
RTH is the default setting for Loss of Signal.
It will only be something different if you change it.

Reactions: JWH
I meant the radio.. I was using an iPad WITHOUT GPS..
What I think you mean is the remote control, it does not have an intergrated GPS, it gets the location from the mobile device, usefull on a moving boat and using dynamic homepoints. An external GPS connectable to the remote is available from DJI for about 100usd, but there is nothing wrong with using a mobile device as a GPS unless your baterries go dead on the device you would not be able to update your homepoint.

All,
Thank you for the advise, the comfort and the ridicule. It has been a learning experience that I would not wish upon anyone but, if you fly over water there is a good chance you will put one in. Forums are a very funny place because you learn a lot and you also learn who does not have good advise..
I like forums, I just hate the jerks that say stupid uncalled for remarks. I wish the admins would ban them so everyone can share and learn and not get pissed off.
That is all...
PS, I am flying again... Checklist before every flight, just like in my aircraft...[emoji6]

This does make me smile in wry kinda way....So the OP (assuming he took lessons) has been taught to do Pre engine start checks, pre-take-off checks, after TO checks, time checks, downwind checks etc etc in a REAL plane, but can't be arsed to do two or three very simple checks before taking off in a drone.?

This does make me smile in wry kinda way....So the OP (assuming he took lessons) has been taught to do Pre engine start checks, pre-take-off checks, after TO checks, time checks, downwind checks etc etc in a REAL plane, but can't be arsed to do two or three very simple checks before taking off in a drone.?

Again, another smartass....
Don't you people have something better to do?

Reactions: weedoman
No .. The GPS in the tablet is only used for follow-me flight and resetting your homepoint to the current location of the controller.
The position shown comes from the Phantom's GPS (it is the position of the Phantom after all) and the mapping comes from the internet, whether you get it live or have it cached before you fly.

Your Phantom is bale to return to home because it records the GPS location of home ... not because it follows a map.
You can have mapping with the Shield if you cache the maps of the area you fly in while you are at home or somewhere with wifi.

Thank you for the clarification.

Did it not auto avoid the tree?
It will only see the bigger branches and forward. I live in a heavily wooded area, and have to be very cautious about clipping trees on the side or when launching up between the trees.

Yes, the P4P+ remote controller contains a GPS receiver.
That is only for the follow me modes, or if YOU set your home point to be the controller, which you have to be in radio contact with the quad to to. The GPS o. The reason I ever will do nothing g to emiminate you problem.

Even with a P4P+, you need to listen for the confirmation that the Home Point has been set. That is usually the last item processed when your P4P+ goes through it's warm-up and verification that all systems are working. Then, just after lift off, you should let your drone hoover for about 20 seconds to be sure your compass and inertial systems are properly working. THEN, and only then, should you proceed with your mission.

Thanks I thought so but second guessing myself. I always have mine set for return to home if signal is lost, thanks again.

So, like a ******* I was in a hurry and did not acquire a home point before rushing off to get some awesome sailboats that were on the river....
Long story short, radio signal lost and no drone to come home with...
I am so upset with myself I cannot see straight....
Beer in hand and Amazon on the Macbook in front of me..
Is there a phantom 4 plus in my future??
One question, does the phantom 4 plus have built in GPS or will I still have the same issue as the splshdowned P4???
Help boost my mood today peeps..... [emoji22]

Simular situation the other day. Home point was set, then I lost signal. Thank the Lord for the return home button. I guess all one can say is.... Slow your roll when trying to get that money shot. And for the love of god... do all of your pre-flight stuff.

Simular situation the other day. Home point was set, then I lost signal. Thank the Lord for the return home button. I guess all one can say is.... Slow your roll when trying to get that money shot. And for the love of god... do all of your pre-flight stuff.
Even if you hadn't hit the RTH button it would've been on the way back a few seconds after the signal was lost as long as you didn't have it set to hover , I know it's tough not to hit that button...

Sounds to me like the OP might have had a few margaritas before flying lol. I have a P3A and never once had any GPS problems whatsoever. I ALWAYS have my phone on Airplane Mode when using it as a monitor so what he's said basically is ******** IMO.

I will not fly my drone far until I make sure I hear it say "the home point has been updated, plz check it on the map" and I do check it on the map because I've seen cases where it said but home point was still a place out of state.
I did have funny things happening like drone just tries landing because of low voltage in a full battery, so I had no manually force it up because it would not stop the landing procedure.
So a few things to consider, charge battery at least a day or two before flying, check home point, calibrate Gps, make sure it's set to return to home with adequate altitude in case of connection loss. Most important that can save your drone is to always keep it in sight, or a path you can follow in case you want to be adventurous.
I have been lucky so far, love bringing to the beach, lakes...and there is also special settings for flying over water, so pay attention to that. The sensor must be turned off because it can get confused with the waves.
Yes, it can get complicated. You are using an aircraft, takes responsibility.
Fly safe!.
Alex.

Amazing how many don't take the time to read the entire thread, and just try to pile on. Sorry bout the loss. I've been chased by birds before, but being in line of sight i was able #1 see the attackers coming, and #2 power climb and out climb the winged aggressors. I was about to make my post about the difference between controller and bird for home point but Meta4 beat me to it. But he's completely right. You can set the controller / tablet as the home point OR the bird's location as the home point. Also just to reiterate to those who haven't taken the time to read, the OP has since learned that a PELICAN took his quad down. There's no more to discuss on setting home points etc. as relates to this incident.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers