Today I am sick ..... Literally...

I have a phantom 3 pro seems like it always sets home before it take off

That's because you let it. If you fly away before it is ready.... you will not get a homepoint locked until it does acquire GPS. It's a really bad habit to fly before it's locked in and can result in failure to come home.

Bird strike huh? I would really like to have that flight data analyzed. I would really be interested in learning what that looks like on a flight record.

I have a Phantom 4. I use the iPad mini 4, with cellular, so it has the GPS. It is my understanding that having GPS in the mobile device is to get the correct map location on the screen. It is my understanding that the drone will record the home point based on information from the GPS in the drone, not the iPad. Therefore, if you use a mobile device that doesn't have the GPS, the drone will still record the home point, you just won't have a map to verify it. Am I correct?

Someone above mentioned clipping a tree. I had a heart stopping moment in my own yard due to a tree and overconfidence in my depth perception. I clipped a tree, but it must have been very slightly. The drone went inverted momentarily, then righted itself and flew normally. I put new props on it to be safe, but I can't find anything wrong with the original ones. There isn't a scratch on the drone anywhere. I am much more cautious around trees now!

Just to be clear, you flew before getting a homepoint locked in? Why exactly did you do that? Then you lost signal and the P4 didn't know where to return because you didn't have a homepoint?

This is not a fly-away. This is a bonafide give-away. I feel bad for you but this is all on you. Drop the $$$ and get a new one.

You really don't need a TX with a built in GPS. You need to properly set your homepoint.
He did start by saying "Like a *******," which in my opinion indicates that he is owning the mistake. We don't have to smack him around anymore do we? Lol. I am new to the group. I have a feeling I am about to get my _ _ _ handed to me! :)

Yes, it has built-in GPS just like your P4. If the home point is not set, the Phantom does not know how to get back home.

Sometimes I fly with my tablet (NVidia Shield) instead of using my phone, tablet is WIFI ONLY. When I fire everything up I hear " The Home Point has been updated please check it on the map," I am aware I don't have a map to view its when I fly line of sight and opt for a larger screen then my phone . Never had any problems or have I had to use Return To Home (so far), am I running a risk loosing signal & it not being able to return to home because I'm using my tablet?

He did start by saying "Like a *******," which in my opinion indicates that he is owning the mistake. We don't have to smack him around anymore do we? Lol. I am new to the group. I have a feeling I am about to get my _ _ _ handed to me! :)

[emoji106][emoji106][emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

Reactions: OliCraft
Sometimes I fly with my tablet (NVidia Shield) instead of using my phone, tablet is WIFI ONLY. When I fire everything up I hear " The Home Point has been updated please check it on the map," I am aware I don't have a map to view its when I fly line of sight and opt for a larger screen then my phone . Never had any problems or have I had to use Return To Home (so far), am I running a risk loosing signal & it not being able to return to home because I'm using my tablet?

You can cache the maps on the Shield - option in the app

** post removed **
Rule 2 from the community guidelines
2. Personal attacks on others will not be tolerated. Challenge others' points of view and opinions, but do so respectfully and thoughtfully. Excessive sarcasm, belligerence, insults, profanity, anger, offensive comments about race, gender, sexual orientation, religion, and national origin, are not acceptable.

Last edited by a moderator:

Not smacking him around at all. I am sorry about his lost bird..

Reactions: OliCraft
You don't deserve a drone. May I suggest kite flying?

Well, I wouldn't go there. I'm certain he will not make the same mistake twice. It's a hard lesson but one that everyone can learn from.

Reactions: Nighthawk5112
I try not to be in a rush and always wait for satellite lock and home point marked on the map that being said were not perfect , I don't see why DJI with a firmware upgrade couldn't just lock the throttle/motors till the home point is acquired...

So, like a ******* I was in a hurry and did not acquire a home point before rushing off to get some awesome sailboats that were on the river....
Long story short, radio signal lost and no drone to come home with...
I am so upset with myself I cannot see straight....
Beer in hand and Amazon on the Macbook in front of me..
Is there a phantom 4 plus in my future??
One question, does the phantom 4 plus have built in GPS or will I still have the same issue as the splshdowned P4???
Help boost my mood today peeps..... [emoji22]
Sorry to hear that, it's always a sad day when a phantom goes missing.

Hey everyone, those that have not done mistakes and silly things, let him cast the first stone.:confused:

HA! No stones then.;) You all know who I mean.

The OP had a problem with whatever. I would like to think we are all here to help and assist and learn ourselves so that it reduces the chance of us doing the same thing. I have, and hats off to him for putting it on the forum.

May you fly again before long Dee Jay

I try not to be in a rush and always wait for satellite lock and home point marked on the map that being said were not perfect , I don't see why DJI with a firmware upgrade couldn't just lock the throttle/motors till the home point is acquired...
I suspect the reason is that we would never be able to fly in atti mode if that were the case.

It is a hard lesson to learn. Thank you for sharing, despite being bashed about it. It is a good lesson for all of us. I want to mention that besides waiting for a GPS lock and home point update, you also need double check the loss of signal action. You have to select whether you want the drone to return to home or to hover upon loss of signal. I always have mine set to return to home.

All,
Thank you for the advise, the comfort and the ridicule. It has been a learning experience that I would not wish upon anyone but, if you fly over water there is a good chance you will put one in. Forums are a very funny place because you learn a lot and you also learn who does not have good advise..
I like forums, I just hate the jerks that say stupid uncalled for remarks. I wish the admins would ban them so everyone can share and learn and not get pissed off.
That is all...
PS, I am flying again... Checklist before every flight, just like in my aircraft...[emoji6]

Finally!!!!
Someone is giving me hope![emoji846]
If understand you were near the water yes,I have a theory on that you hear all the time people sick after crashing in the water I think when your over water all kinds of radio waves are bouncing back off the water on land the ground soaks up most of them but over water like a mirror to sun light

Reactions: JWH
If understand you were near the water yes,I have a theory on that you hear all the time people sick after crashing in the water I think when your over water all kinds of radio waves are bouncing back off the water on land the ground soaks up most of them but over water like a mirror to sun light
If I understand the instruction correctly, you need to disable the downward looking sensors over water if you are flying low. I always fly high over water so I have never tested the theory.

I know that feeling, early this week I clipped the top of tree with my beloved P4, and was so stunned by my own stupidity I was like cigar store Indian, frozen in place, as I watched it falling down 80 feet to the asphalt street fifteen feet in front of me.

Nevermind the self loathing, now I was grounded with no aircraft. Should I double down and upgrade to a P4P. Decided not to, instead got a replacement P4 (a refurbished P4 from Dronenerds in Florida) by the end of the week.

This us going to elicit howls, but for now I'm glad to stick with the P4 platform. I have to agree with youtuber NeverMindYourOwn (see his "Watch this before you buy a Phantom 4 Pro. Two weeks" ) I too am convinced that the P4P is really a beta product, and the name of the really ready-to-fly to all the promises will be called the P5.

Did it not auto avoid the tree?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4