Today I am sick ..... Literally...

Well,
Yes and no...
I acknowledged after it was up and on the shoreline and not before liftoff..
Are you saying you got the green "safe to fly" acknowledgement during flight, and heard the audible statement from your device "your home point has been recorded, please check it on the map" ? If yes, do you recall how far away the craft was when this happened?

I'm asking these questions because I have never launched without a Green "Safe to Fly". I really never tried this. So I'm wondering if the craft will automatically set a current homepoint while flying after acquiring 8+ GPS satellite lock. OR.... MUST this be done manually in the app, in cases when you don't have GPS lock before takeoff? I know the option to reset the CRAFT homepoint is provided (I've never done that either) and with my iPad with Cellular I can also reset the RC homepoint manually in the app.

I'm just curious, if the craft takes off before homepoint is set, is it always REQUIRED to manually set the homepoint through the Go app, in order for RTH to work right?

Curious minds want to know.....:D

Last edited:
Reactions: KevMo Photog
And this is the red EXACT reason for my dilemma today... Margaritas are numbing the pain ever so slightly.....

why is that the issue?
isn't taking off before the aircraft was fully booted and ready to safely fly the real issue!

all phantoms use the onboard GPS to set home point at startup sequence
you do NOT need GPS in device for that.
If one takes off with any phantom prior to Home point lock, the same will result.....

If no home lock at take off and you fly out of RC contact -
-the gps in the device will not do anything for you.

Good luck

So, like a ******* I was in a hurry and did not acquire a home point before rushing off to get some awesome sailboats that were on the river.... Long story short, radio signal lost and no drone to come home with... I am so upset with myself I cannot see straight.... Beer in hand and Amazon on the Macbook in front of me.. Is there a phantom 4 plus in my future?? One question, does the phantom 4 plus have built in GPS or will I still have the same issue as the splshdowned P4??? Help boost my mood today peeps..... [emoji22]
So, like a ******* I was in a hurry and did not acquire a home point before rushing off to get some awesome sailboats that were on the river.... Long story short, radio signal lost and no drone to come home with... I am so upset with myself I cannot see straight.... Beer in hand and Amazon on the Macbook in front of me.. Is there a phantom 4 plus in my future?? One question, does the phantom 4 plus have built in GPS or will I still have the same issue as the splshdowned P4??? Help boost my mood today peeps..... [emoji22]

I have heard a good spray from an AK47 is fairly effective

Thanks for the tip. I just sprayed my Phantom with an AK47. I don't think the pelicans will bother it anymore, but now I can't get it to turn on.

If I had a guess I would say your RTH incorrectly set maybe nothing wrong with unit itself?

IMG_0241.PNG
So, like a ******* I was in a hurry and did not acquire a home point before rushing off to get some awesome sailboats that were on the river....
Long story short, radio signal lost and no drone to come home with...
I am so upset with myself I cannot see straight....
Beer in hand and Amazon on the Macbook in front of me..
Is there a phantom 4 plus in my future??
One question, does the phantom 4 plus have built in GPS or will I still have the same issue as the splshdowned P4???
Help boost my mood today peeps..... [emoji22]
have any thing to do with this setting?

I'm somewhat intrigued that no one has asked this.

Why would not having GPS cause you to lose your Phantom? You should (and could) be able to fly your Phantom with no GPS whatsoever. I'm sorry, but blaming the loss on a lack of GPS lock is a poor excuse for losing a quad.

If you guys want to have a pity party, that's all well and good, but something else happened.
I agree. The loss of GPS does not mean the loss of the drone. It probably went into ATTI mode and he didn't have the experience to actually fly it.

T

Reactions: WilsonFlyer
So, like a ******* I was in a hurry and did not acquire a home point before rushing off to get some awesome sailboats that were on the river....
One question, does the phantom 4 plus have built in GPS or will I still have the same issue as the splshdowned P4???

I have a phantom 3 pro seems like it always sets home before it take off
Right -- it's normally set after the motors start. You should always confirm before taking off though.

I agree. The loss of GPS does not mean the loss of the drone. It probably went into ATTI mode and he didn't have the experience to actually fly it.

T
Oh. I reread his post. It looks like he lost radio contact, not loss of GPS. Premature take-off-ulation was the culprit.

Last edited:
It was set to RTH...
After reviewing the playback, it did acquire a home point... The bird was unavoidable, my loss..
Simple as that..
I agree, it was the bird taking it out, part of the flying dangers. Nothing to do with GPS or RTH. I have big vultures can be hundreds in the air around my drone but they all keep their distance. Maybe the pelican was startled and flew up into the drone.

I took off in a hurry and it said atti mode. Wreaked it into a tree. Worked on the camera for 5 hours and it still didnt work. So i just bought a refurbished P3 professional for the same price as the standard and i love it. The distance is great.

No pitty party, I tried everything that I could and it just never locked back on to the remote... New quad is already in the mail. Perhaps it just wanted to fly away..

Just to be clear, you flew before getting a homepoint locked in? Why exactly did you do that? Then you lost signal and the P4 didn't know where to return because you didn't have a homepoint?

This is not a fly-away. This is a bonafide give-away. I feel bad for you but this is all on you. Drop the $$$ and get a new one.

You really don't need a TX with a built in GPS. You need to properly set your homepoint.

Well if it makes you feel better I just purchased my 6th P4. Your flight records havebthe GPS coordinates on it this you can see where it went down.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj