To those running Samsung Tablet A 7.0. Root for better performance.

Reaction score
I found this great article about how to root the device, so that you can finally uninstall all of the useless garbage and free the memory up for more important things, like DJIgo or maybe even Litchi. I used Titanium Backup Pro to remove, but there are also a few free "app removers" out there.

Root Samsung Galaxy Tab A SM-T280 and Install TWRP Recovery | DroidViews

I did this the other night and it took me like 20 minutes, because I was being extra careful, but I could probably do another one in 5 minutes now.

You MUST have a PC to use and you MUST follow the instructions to the letter. Any short cuts or mistakes and you'll wind up with a brick. If you read this article and you have no clue what they are talking about, then this mod is not for you and you shouldn't mess with it.

Reactions: Stazz
Did this make a big difference for you matts? I also have been trying a tab A because I like the idea of having a dedicated tablet for my quad. However performance versus my iPad Air 2 is noticeable. I used clean master and it made a noticeable difference but was thinking of going the root route and hoping someone would release a thin rom down the line.

Reactions: Macphreak4evr
Did this make a big difference for you matts? I also have been trying a tab A because I like the idea of having a dedicated tablet for my quad. However performance versus my iPad Air 2 is noticeable. I used clean master and it made a noticeable difference but was thinking of going the root route and hoping someone would release a thin rom down the line.

Honestly, I haven't flown today to try it. I have an EXTREMELY stiff neck. I even missed work today and if you knew me, you'd know I never miss work unless I'm just about dying. I really wasn't having any problems with the tab A before though. I just did this to squeeze every little bit out of it. In theory, it should help. I don't have an iPad to compare to though, so I don't know If I'm missing out or not.

I am running a samsung tab pro 8.4. I rooted it last weekend to streamline it for flying only. I have yet to fly with it yet since rooting. Weather has been horrible.

I removed a few of the samsung apps but not being an android regular I was hesitant to go to far. If one of you could suggest a list of apps to remove that would be extremely helpful

Google Play Music
Hangouts
Google Play Movies
Radio 1.0
Talkback
Samsung Billing
Galaxy Essentials Widget
S Launcher 1.0
Live wallpaper picker
Samsung Kids 1.0

Uninstalled from mine. I'm sure there could be more. I just have to play with it some more.

You know... looking at it again. I'm probably going to ditch, weather, youtube, calculator and more. I have all that on my phone, I don't need it here.

Let us know if you observe tangible benefits from rooting it. I have the same tablet and - while it's definitely not a speed monster - it seems to work fine with the DJI GO app and the P3S.

I just came across this thread and it's very interesting. I just bought a tab A and have only installed the Go app and nothing else. When you say " root" you mean pretty much removing everything on the tab and just having dji go on it? Cause that's all I want it for. I have everything I need on phone and pc. Any help would be great as it's brand new and I want the best performance from it..thanks in advance..

Reactions: Flying Mackerel
I just came across this thread and it's very interesting. I just bought a tab A and have only installed the Go app and nothing else. When you say " root" you mean pretty much removing everything on the tab and just having dji go on it? Cause that's all I want it for. I have everything I need on phone and pc. Any help would be great as it's brand new and I want the best performance from it..thanks in advance..

Yes. "Root" basically allows you the permission to remove any unwanted apps. The less apps you have, the less garbage you have running in the background, which frees up your ram and CPU usage for DJI Go. You'll notice that some apps just can't be removed because they are locked out from the manufacturer. Rooting bypasses that lock. MAKE SURE YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE REMOVING before you remove it!!! Of course you can remove things like Twitter, Facebook, Amazon, etc. but if you see an app and have no idea what it is/does.... Google it first (to see what that particular app does) to make sure it's OK to remove.

LMGTFY

Reactions: Kev74
Yes. "Root" basically allows you the permission to remove any unwanted apps. The less apps you have, the less garbage you have running in the background, which frees up your ram and CPU usage for DJI Go. You'll notice that some apps just can't be removed because they are locked out from the manufacturer. Rooting bypasses that lock. MAKE SURE YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE REMOVING before you remove it!!! Of course you can remove things like Twitter, Facebook, Amazon, etc. but if you see an app and have no idea what it is/does.... Google it first (to see what that particular app does) to make sure it's OK to remove.

LMGTFY
Nice man. I'll be looking into this after work. Like I said, it's a brand new tab just opened yesterday. Set it up and installed dji go on it. And that's all I want it for. I had the rca voyager 3 but that was a piece of junk. Super slow. Thanks again man.

Rooting is just too scary for me and every article I ever read was written by experts for experts. Most of it was over my head and I'm not bad with PC stuff.

Alternatively, I go in and disable as much as I can. DJI GO is not bad on either my ASUS ZenPad or NVIDIA Shield. Neither has crashed in a very long time.

Rooting is just too scary for me and every article I ever read was written by experts for experts. Most of it was over my head and I'm not bad with PC stuff.

Alternatively, I go in and disable as much as I can. DJI GO is not bad on either my ASUS ZenPad or NVIDIA Shield. Neither has crashed in a very long time.
Yea..i tried to dive into it. I think I'm good. Too much going on that I know nothing about. I did what you did and went in and disabled a ton of stuff. I'm getting great signal and feed on this Samsung tab A. I have yet to fly as it's been way too cold up here. I'll save the "rooting" for peeps that have a clue.

I found this great article about how to root the device, so that you can finally uninstall all of the useless garbage and free the memory up for more important things, like DJIgo or maybe even Litchi. I used Titanium Backup Pro to remove, but there are also a few free "app removers" out there.

Root Samsung Galaxy Tab A SM-T280 and Install TWRP Recovery | DroidViews

I did this the other night and it took me like 20 minutes, because I was being extra careful, but I could probably do another one in 5 minutes now.

You MUST have a PC to use and you MUST follow the instructions to the letter. Any short cuts or mistakes and you'll wind up with a brick. If you read this article and you have no clue what they are talking about, then this mod is not for you and you shouldn't mess with it.
sent you a pm..

sucks that you have to root and remove all the Crap ware on the Droid tablets to get them to work Almost as stable and normal as a regular Ipad2 or air or mini2+ i too have the same tablet and its Poo at best. sketchy , gets hot, app doesn't work as well as the IOS versions, then i hear all the Droid head lovers oh this , oh that. its nice to have something that just works, I don't mind removing all the bloatware on the device as i only run DJIGO or Litchi, but still. the TabA is supposed to be a nice processor and great ram for its 140$ price range, i used it several times, and always go back to my iPad Mini, (used air also) i will give this a try and see if it is any better.

thanks

I have an iPad mini 2 and I wouldn't give you a nickel for another one. It overheats, no gps, you only get those with models that have a SIM card. And all but impossible to see the screen out in the sun. I use a cheap Asus ZenPad 380 and it works great and has GPS , and I can see the screen in sunlight.

I have an iPad mini 2 and I wouldn't give you a nickel for another one. It overheats, no gps, you only get those with models that have a SIM card. And all but impossible to see the screen out in the sun. I use a cheap Asus ZenPad 380 and it works great and has GPS , and I can see the screen in sunlight.
Don't under estimate the Zenpad! I have the 580 and while it's not ideal, it does pretty good in daylight. I added anti-glare plus I wear a black shirt and black hat to counter-act any reflections. And it seems to have sufficient fire power to handle the Go app along with the video from my P3S.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj