To snowy to fly?

DJI does not recommend this, but people have flown in light snow with no trouble. You can find some threads on that topic in these search results.

Reactions: Oso
The link takes you to a search of the forums. From there, you can click on any thread about flying in the snow. It has been covered previously.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Last winter I ended up flying in the snow. When I started my flight it was clear. Halfway through a waypoint mission the snow started to fall. Not a heavy downfall, but the flakes were large.

Two problems I encountered (P3A):

1. Snow on the camera lens.
2. Very decreased range. My video feed started to cut out at about 1500 ft with LOS. I completely lost signal at one point. This is a waypoint path I fly regularly with 100% signal through the entire flight in clear conditions.

I would recommend against flying in snowy conditions, based on my experience.

I prefer to keep my bird grounded during winter. But yes some people do fly during winter with snow. Fly safe[emoji106][emoji41]

I definitely wait until the snow stops... and I keep a small shovel in the car to carve out an adequate takeoff/landing area... We just got about 10 inches of snow on Saturday, but it's been way too cold to fly... wind chill at about 10 degrees today, but it'll be 50 by Wednesday, go figure...

Ttook this last Friday...

Attachments

• Snowy Sunset.JPG
    Snowy Sunset.JPG
    4.9 MB · Views: 281
Nice pic. This last weekend was snowy. And cancelled my flight plans. Highs in the low 20's. I was under the impression not to fly under any precipitation

Yea, you shouldn't fly in snow or rain, not worth the risk of damage. Took shots of storm clouds over the summer and started to rain as I was about 50 feet from the ground... was my quickest landing ever! Lol

I can imagine! Lol. I'm an avid weather fan. And have wanted to get those shots but I always thought. Ya and get the bird struck by lightning ha

Ken, sorry I didn't get back to you earlier, those are some really awesome shots! Thanks for sharing with me. I always did take a liking to photography.

Ken, sorry I didn't get back to you earlier, those are some really awesome shots! Thanks for sharing with me. I always did take a liking to photography.

No worries... the pictures aren't going anywhere.. :)

And thanks. :)

I definitely wait until the snow stops... and I keep a small shovel in the car to carve out an adequate takeoff/landing area... We just got about 10 inches of snow on Saturday, but it's been way too cold to fly... wind chill at about 10 degrees today, but it'll be 50 by Wednesday, go figure...

Ttook this last Friday...
Stunning pic...

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adrie