To regulate or not to regulate, that is the question

Reaction score
Most if not all of us are aware that aviation transportation authorities are attempting to regulate the use of hobby drones (yes drones). Unfortunately, because you can purchase these sophisticated RC aircraft without the need to spend countless hours building them, more and more inexperienced and more importantly, irresponsible operators are creating havoc. The public is interested in these stories, thus the media is covering it, casting a grim view of our hobby.

I'm one of the inexperienced operators, but I'd like to call my self responsible. I'm also a private pilot for single engine aircraft and have been licensed since the early 90's. I hate to admit it, but I understand and agree with the need for regulation. The hate replies and private messages will start flowing now I'm sure. To note, I am NOT a representative of any governing body, I'm just a dude who enjoys aviation of all kind.

Aviation authorities, whether it be Transport Canada, FAA or similar bodies, are responsible for ensuring the safety of people and property while in the air, and of those who are on the ground who are at risk from things falling from the air. Irresponsible operators of drones who are flying in the vicinity of airports, flying higher than 400' or buzzing over crowded areas are eventually going to cause an accident.

I'm not an expert operator, but many of you are. We are trying so hard to stop the authorities from regulation citing freedoms et all, but what of those freedoms to that child who just had a drone drop on them from above? What of that pilot who was flying at 1,000' AGL who just had a quadcopter fly up from out of no where right into the windshield? I know none of us want that to happen. I believe we are going about this the wrong way. Frankly, the authorities have no clue how to regulate our hobby, which is why they are coming up with ludicrous rules. What can we do about it? We need to provide them guidance, we need to help them establish rules that aligns with the mandate those authorities have, without regulating all of us out of our hobby. Will this STOP all those irresponsible operators? No, some will continue to fly, ignoring the rules, but at least we can move things in a positive way rather than bitching to the authorities who are trying to safe guard the skies and civilians. Stop bitching about proposed rules, START providing valuable recommendations on how we can move forward.

Whether you like it or not our hobby will be regulated because of the few who have demonstrated a lack of responsibility. We have a chance to help them, so let's do that, it'll be much more productive for us, and will bring us together as a community.

My two cents.

Well written post by the OP.
I do believe a set of applicable and reasonable guidelines I'd a welcomed thing, but it has to be written with one fact in mind. No amount of restrictive rules will prevent anyone with bad intentions from executing their plans.

macheung said:
Well written post by the OP.
I do believe a set of applicable and reasonable guidelines I'd a welcomed thing, but it has to be written with one fact in mind. No amount of restrictive rules will prevent anyone with bad intentions from executing their plans.

I'm not quite sure why guidelines would be needed. If we would all treat these things as what they really are (model A/C), there is already a set of guidelines that exist for them.

However, as the OP has said (and me from the beginning), the availability of the RTF quads is ever-expanding, and those withlittle if any training on guiding RC vehicles will continue to expand.

I'm now getting ready to move into the area of DIY (well, at least kit) multis after having my 2 months with the quad. i'm hoping we aren't regulated into oblivion because someone with $1000 wanted to see how neat it would be to fly their quad through Times Square...oh wait...

Actually if you use it for something criminal , you could just use a Rc plane with fpv. It would be faster and just as accurate. Probally carry a bigger payload and fly farther.
I imagine the drones are getting all the negative publicity now.
A lot of idiots are flying these things.

If you're wondering what's up in the US regulation arena (and who to send your comments to), see viewtopic.php?f=3&t=19035.

BTW - quads are not being singled out, they just brought the spotlight because they're so easy to fly - and then many folks took to the sky without educating (or controlling) themselves first. All RC craft will be affected by the FAA's latest proposals.

IMO, in the USA, it will all change the day someone does terriorist action with one. I sure hope I am wrong.

Or even sooner then someone ever using one for terrorist act. Which btw is already against the law in many ways.

But some thing that is more likely to happen before any one uses one to commit an act of terror. Is as soon as someone uses one to capture some thing they dont want being filed such as a police beating or a politician doing some thing they are not supposed to be doing. Or even worse and even more sure to make the goverment want to ban them is if someone uses it to expose some even bigger form of tyranny an a citizen journalist being they are already being label terrorists if any one reports real news and take away the governments ability to control all information and control the narrative on any thing.

THEN they will call them a tool for terrorists or any thing they can say to play on people emotions and try to ban them. esp if they have cameras on them.

here's an example why faa must regulate

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=20916

its a lack of responsability to take off your back yard and test how high your phantom can flight...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.