To loctite 290 or not to loctite 290

Reaction score
Based on the tilt issues in the thread below:
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=19653&p=230793&hilit=tilt+solved#p230793
and the you tube link http://youtu.be/SFxM8OOWRQc

Should a non-crashed-always-hand-caught phantom 2 vision plus need to do preventative Loctite 290 to the gimbal camera shaft as per the youtube video?
I'm thinking the shaft will loosen over time as it looks like its "pressed fit" and held together by friction. I want to prevent the dreaded 1-2 degree tilted horizon issue that many who have (claimed) not have crashed their phantoms.

Any suggestion would be great.

I wouldn't until you have a problem. The hand catch seems to be the way to go with these fragile things.

If it ain't broke don't fix it. How about learning how to land ? Just practice. , don't get all this hand catching when it's perfectly capable of landing. I understand if your in sand or uneven surfaces.

Mori55 said:
If it ain't broke don't fix it. How about learning how to land ? Just practice. , don't get all this hand catching when it's perfectly capable of landing. I understand if your in sand or uneven surfaces.

Nah.
Landing is high risk. I've been catching from day 1.
Chicks get wet and the crowd goes crazy when you catch it.
Nothing worse than landing in front of a crowd and have it tip over because the lack of sats and some random turbulence. Its possible for it to go ATTI at the last minute and have a gust of wind catch it when less than 6 feet.
Its cheaper to catch as props ain't cheap in Australia. I think I rather get cut then to buy new props lol.
If im going to surface land, i'll use a higher landing gear as I think the camera is way too low to the ground. The phantom is top heavy with tiny stock landing gears. Its like doing no leg days at the gym.

Also, there is less risk of dirt and sand when hand caught.

I still think the regular bumps on landings over time can cause the gimbal to slowly come loose. Any shock to the fragile gimbal/camera will do this. Its poorly designed having that weight of the camera on a tiny pin like shaft held by pressure.

Mori55 said:
Must be tough to land in australia , a lot easier in NJ. :D

Our phantoms get attacked on surface landings by drop-bears and cyclone-sharks.

And i'll chime in with both answers...

Landing this thing on a calm day is a dream... i fly in the mornings when there is no wind at all and the Swarm Boys from the flats can attest to my soft touch landings on a little wood tv dinner table i bring with me ... BUT ... if there's ANY wind blowing?! Screw all that mess ... it's hand catch all the way ...

There's situations for both techniques ...

don't see the point of hand catching on a calm day...
don't see the point of trying to land in the wind...

Just my 2 ¢

Everybody got their own way of doing their deal :ugeek:

I've got a new camera/gimbal on its way because my other one just fell off with a regular (not hard) landing and snapped the ribbon.
I use to catch mine before a slight gust of wind caused the phantom to drop just enough to catch the end of my finger.
Man I've broken bones but nothing hurt like that I swear.
Been landing it ever since, even in the stupidly windy conditions we've been having here in Melbourne over the past couple of days.
So when the new gimbal arrives it will most definitely get a dose of Loctite and get to cure overnight before I take it out for a spin!

dbooty said:
I've got a new camera/gimbal on its way because my other one just fell off with a regular (not hard) landing and snapped the ribbon.
I use to catch mine before a slight gust of wind caused the phantom to drop just enough to catch the end of my finger.
Man I've broken bones but nothing hurt like that I swear.
Been landing it ever since, even in the stupidly windy conditions we've been having here in Melbourne over the past couple of days.
So when the new gimbal arrives it will most definitely get a dose of Loctite and get to cure overnight before I take it out for a spin!

My catches are always downwind and arms reach above my head so if a gust wind comes it blows it away and keeping it higher means i won't get a new haircut or missing eyebrows.

I ended up doing the loctite as i think its better to prevent.
Dabbed a bit, left for a few minutes and cleaned the excess. WIll leave for 24hrs to cure.

Mori55 said:
What happens if for some reason you have to remove after using the loctite?

Knock on wood that i don't.
I'll clamp it down and with enough force, it should come loose. No different when you remove loctite screws and nuts - you'll here that pop.

Mori55 said:
Must be tough to land in australia , a lot easier in NJ. :D

You're also forgetting the obvious..we all fly upside down here too. :mrgreen:

Coincidentally my camera went loopy the other day and about 20 deg out.
Will look at shortly but I'm wondering if Loctite 290 is actually suitable to lock the shaft.
290 seems targetted towards screw threads rather than push fit shafts so I'm questioning its ability to wick into the shaft.
More inclined to superglue the end of the shaft...

Update - dismantled it and adjusted it effortlessly !
NO NEED AT ALL to remove the flat cable :roll:
In fact it was far too easy to rotate the camera to correct alignment so the shaft really does need to be secured better (Listening DJI ??)
So..I'm wondering about dismantling the stepper motor, loctiting the shaft, reassembling and aligning the cam, thereby preventing future shaft slip.
Anyone ??

I used the 290 penetrating grade several months ago and have had no problem since with the camera going out of level. I have never used the gimbal lock even when transporting in the case.
I too was concerned that the 290 is intended for use with threads but it apparently does penetrate a press fit as well.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20