To Insure or Not to Insure...DJI Care vs. Alternatives

Ok P3p is now 699.00 at microcenter. Prices will continue to fall. I can see no reason to insure now. Resale value of a Phantom is terrible 50% depreciation in less than a year. OUCH!

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

The State Farm policy didn't go into effect until a Monday. I crashed in the Saturday before. That's just the way I do things.
You mean honestly, with integrity? :cool:
Most would have just claimed the crash occurred after Monday. I doubt your agent knows enough about drones to ask for the flight log or .DAT file, unlike DJI. ;)

Ok P3p is now 699.00 at microcenter. Prices will continue to fall. I can see no reason to insure now. Resale value of a Phantom is terrible 50% depreciation in less than a year. OUCH!

Hopefully, you got some great use out of it over the last year, to amortize that into a reasonable per flight cost, to offset your depreciation. They aren't investments! :cool: Time to double down and buy 2 at that price. You will eventually need a second one, and it's half the price of a P4.

So I pulled the trigger on a NAM 2 year gold service contract. Use a 10% off coupon code: pilots10 which brought total to $287.

For that price, I'll be happy if I never have to use it. And I'll also be happy if I do need to use...and have it.

Win-Win

Reactions: captainmilehigh
So I pulled the trigger on a NAM 2 year gold service contract. Use a 10% off coupon code: pilots10 which brought total to $287.

For that price, I'll be happy if I never have to use it. And I'll also be happy if I do need to use...and have it.

Win-Win
Yep, I like my 2 year gold contract too. Even if I don't use it it's good to have. Anything can happen in 2 years.....and usually does. [emoji41]

Reactions: TunjiY

Win-Win
Not having read the policy, I'll only say that you may also be very unhappy if you have to use it, and find out, for whatever reason, that some policy exclusion disallows coverage for your specific "event" claim, or that the coverage company has declared bankruptcy, because payable claims exceed their reserves and all assets. Insurance makes money by denying claims, not by paying them. If it's really a good deal for you, it's a bad deal for them, and they usually won't be around to collect from later. The best insurance is your free one year manufacturing warranty from DJI for nonpilot errors, and not crashing. Alternatively, DJI Care provides some level of coverage, if you can recover the aircraft. After one to two years, the aircraft has usually been superseded by newer versions, and cheap, used versions of the original aircraft are readily available at a fraction of the original cost. Insurance is usually profitable because the coverage is riddled with so many exclusions that the policy holder will never be able to collect, especially if the risk of damage is high. Lastly, there are no refunds for the prepaid policy, if you crash the aircraft on day one of coverage, and it isn't covered, and you can't afford to repair it. That reduces the insurance company's risk to zero, and they get to keep all your money. Buyer beware.

Not having read the policy, I'll only say that you may also be very unhappy if you have to use it, and find out, for whatever reason, that some policy exclusion disallows coverage for your specific "event" claim, or that the coverage company has declared bankruptcy, because payable claims exceed their reserves and all assets. Insurance makes money by denying claims, not by paying them. If it's really a good deal for you, it's a bad deal for them, and they usually won't be around to collect from later. The best insurance is your free one year manufacturing warranty from DJI for nonpilot errors, and not crashing. Alternatively, DJI Care provides some level of coverage, if you can recover the aircraft. After one to two years, the aircraft has usually been superseded by newer versions, and cheap, used versions of the original aircraft are readily available at a fraction of the original cost. Insurance is usually profitable because the coverage is riddled with so many exclusions that the policy holder will never be able to collect, especially if the risk of damage is high. Lastly, there are no refunds for the prepaid policy, if you crash the aircraft on day one of coverage, and it isn't covered, and you can't afford to repair it. That reduces the insurance company's risk to zero, and they get to keep all your money. Buyer beware.
Ultimately I started this thread to get other Phantom owner's opinions on UAV insurance so as such thanks for your input.
However I have read the policy and fine prints and it works perfectly for me. At the end of the day, insurance doesn't eliminate risk, it minimizes it and I am perfectly fine with my risk level under NAM insurance service.

Reactions: captainmilehigh
Ultimately I started this thread to get other Phantom owner's opinions on UAV insurance so as such thanks for your input.
However I have read the policy and fine prints and it works perfectly for me. At the end of the day, insurance doesn't eliminate risk, it minimizes it and I am perfectly fine with my risk level under NAM insurance service.
Would you mind sharing some of the known exclusions, or sharing a link to the policy terms? I'd love to know or read about them, too!

Sure, no problem. Here is a link to their service contract: https://neary-aerial.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/UAV-Service-Contract.pdf

It's also worth knowing that the owner Matt is super responsive should you find a need to email him any questions.
Thanks for sharing the link. The devil is always in the details. The exclusions and the wriggle room they give themselves are monumental. According to the terms, your free DJI warranty still remains your primary coverage, unlike DJI Care where it actually replaces it. Recovery of the aircraft is also required for any coverage. You are responsible for all shipping costs to and from and your deductible, even if they deny coverage. Anything they deem pilot error before launch excludes coverage. Crashes due to any software issues are excluded, as are stolen aircraft, and any damage caused by animals. Power failures are excluded, which would seem to exclude battery shutoffs that lead to crashes. The remote and the batteries are also not covered, as they are not on the list. Refurbished parts will be used on any repairs. Anything they deem a cosmetic defect will not be covered, such as dents and scratches. Insect damage is excluded, as is anything they deem "abuse" or "misuse". Intermittent and non-intermittent issues that are not product failures are also excluded. You could drive a truck through all the exclusions. Personally, I would not recommend paying for any such policy. There are far better options available, including the free DJI Warranty and the paid DJI Care, and self insuring by not crashing in the first place. At least DJI Care covers all pilot errors. In the event of the inability to recover a lost aircraft, even with no other coverage than the free DJI Warranty, DJI will generally offer a 30% discount towards a new replacement aircraft.

In all fairness, what parts of the coverage did you find appealing, as distinguished from all the exclusions, that justified the premium cost, compared to the alternatives?

Last edited:
There are far better options available, including the free DJI Warranty and DJI Care, and self insuring by not crashing in the first place.
Thats the beauty of life now isn't it...Options. We all have different options and this particular one while it doesn't seem to suit you, works perfectly for me.

I got a service plan that covers 2 years for the price DJI Care charges for 1 year. No deductible, no shipping fee. Much less turnaround time for repairs and a reputation for never having turned away a single claim as long as the bird is recovered.

I can tell you didn't read the entire service contract and you've also twisted certain facts to your point of view but then it doesn't matter really. This alternative to DJI Care works for me, but not for you. To each he/her own...

Reactions: DroneX
Thats the beauty of life now isn't it...Options. We all have different options and this particular one while it doesn't seem to suit you, works perfectly for me.

I got a service plan that covers 2 years for the price DJI Care charges for 1 year. No deductible, no shipping fee. Much less turnaround time for repairs and a reputation for never having turned away a single claim as long as the bird is recovered.

I can tell you didn't read the entire service contract and you've also twisted certain facts to your point of view but then it doesn't matter really. This alternative to DJI Care works for me, but not for you. To each he/her own...
Indeed, you are free to spend your money as you choose. However, $287, even after the 10% discount you received, seems excessive for insurance, when the actual replacement cost of a brand spanking new P3P is currently $699 at Microline, with a new full 1 year manufacturer's warranty, where DJI pays shipping both ways, and your existing new aircraft itself already has that same warranty for the next year, since you just bought it. Would you spend 40% of the cost of a new car to insure it against all damage for two years, apart from the free included manufacturer's warranty, if it also offered NO coverage, if the car was stolen and never recovered?

I did, in fact, read the entire service contract for NAM, to which you provided a link. What did I "twist" to my point of view, which was, in fact, only formed after reading the entire service contact? How does one establish "a reputation" for never having denied a claim, assuming the bird is recovered, when the service contract, itself, explicitly, in writing, excludes almost all possible claims against them, and also first requires you to exhaust all claims against DJI? How did you arrive at the conclusion of "much less turnaround time for repairs" when DJI's own repair turnaround can be as short as 24 hours, and your first recourse, under your policy, is to DJI themselves, for warranty related repairs?

Did you know that the primary repair facility used by NAM is located in Maryland, and that NAM, itself, is in Kentucky (if you have to file suit over a coverage dispute or misrepresentation, you'll have to go to KY), while you reside in California, and DJI's own repair facility is located in your home state in Los Angeles? Do you really think you'll save time by shipping your aircraft all the way across the country 2,500 miles to MD for repair, and back, when DJI itself is only 300 miles away from you? :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Had good results from DJI concerning my P3a, it was hard to get updates online I think they need to fix their software for that but when I called it actually spoke to a person they treated me good

Had good results from DJI concerning my P3a, it was hard to get updates online I think they need to fix their software for that but when I called it actually spoke to a person they treated me good
Thanks for the feedback! What was the issue you had and what made your results good?

Thanks for the feedback! What was the issue you had and what made your results good?
Mine was a free manufacturing warranty covered crash within two weeks of purchase. DJI paid shipping both ways, there was no grounding of the aircraft for 15 days to obtain coverage, and it was free, and they used all new parts, not refurbished parts, for all repairs.

Your
purchased NAM policy requires the newbie pilot to not fly their brand new aircraft for 15 days, or fly without the NAM coverage, when they most need it!

Tell me you have actually flown your own new P3P, after paying $287 for insurance, knowing that, if you crash during the 15 days after purchase, which was just last week, it will not be covered, due to a 15 day waiting period before the NAM coverage starts.

So, I buy a brand new aircraft, then before flying it, I buy NAM insurance for $287 in my paranoia, and now I can't fly my new aircraft for 15 more days. In the mean time, my return or exchange period with my dealer (Apple, Best Buy, Microline, even DJI itself) expires without my ever flying the aircraft. If I then discover upon my first flight, after waiting those 15 days, that I have a lemon, I cannot return it to my local dealer for refund or exchange, and, because it is a manufacturing defect, my NAM policy won't cover it. I still have to send it in to DJI for an exchange or repair of the manufacturing defect. I just wasted $287 for a policy that prevented me from determining that I bought a lemon. Some insurance you bought there! :rolleyes:

Last edited:
@GadgetGuy, I think you have made your views and opinion on DJI Care vs NAM very clear. From the number of post you've made on this forum, I can only assume that you have a wealth of knowledge about DJI phantoms and I do appreciate your input to my thread.

What I don't appreciate is the now seemingly constant reiteration of your point of view. I get it, you have an affinity for DJI Care. I have absolutely no issues with that. I personally do not and have chosen to go with NAM. You seem to have a problem with this...and that I don't appreciate.

A forum should be a place to share opinions, ideas, wisdom...etc. Not a place to force your views on another.

Once again, I appreciate your input to the DJI Care vs Others debate but if you want to have a "bash NAM service" session to pinpoint everything you don't like about it, then I welcome you to open a new thread.

Reactions: DroneX
@TunjiY Please address all the issues that I have raised, and the questions that I have posed to you, that you keep side-stepping.

I am not an advocate of DJI Care. As a matter of fact, I have stated before elsewhere that I believe it is also a waste of money, as is any drone insurance policy. Your best insurance is the free DJI one year warranty.

You are welcome to defend your decision to purchase the NAM policy, with specifics, which address all the concerns I brought up above. Convince me objectively, not emotionally.

Explain how and why any rational person, fully knowing all the above concerns, would purchase a NAM policy. I'm all ears.

If you want a sharing, you need to provide answers and specifics.
Why do you still like it, in view of all the above stated problems with it?
What am I missing, that you see?

Otherwise, I am coming to the conclusion that you started this thread as a disguised commercial for NAM, and have a vested interest in promoting it, with your own coupon code, without becoming a paid forum sponsor. You joined on May 14, 2016, and 90% of your 23 posts have been to this thread, mostly with platitudes of praise for NAM and the owner, without answering the many concerns about the policy raised above.

Last edited:
@GadgetGuy I agree with all your points/concerns. That said, several months ago I bought a cheap NAM policy and hope i don't use it.

If I do and the policy ends up being a rip off, I'll let everyone know.

Lets dial it back a few notches in here fellas. No need to get all hot under the collar over insurance choices. We all have the choice to read the fine print and make our own decisions.

Unknown.jpg

Reactions: GadgetGuy

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20