To gimbal lock or not to gimbal lock

Reaction score
Just got my new phantom 3 with a nice new hard type case. Do I really need to put the gimbal lock on every time I put it in the case. The gimbal seems so fragile to me that I feel like I will break it. What say the pros.
Al

Last edited:
I always put it back on before putting my Phantom back in the case. If you're not planning on moving your case before flying again, then you don't necessarily need to put it back on right away. It's a good habit to get into though.

Reactions: Numone
If I transport my bird (other than taking it right out the door to fly in the backyard) it gets the gimbal lock installed.

I keep the lock on at all times unless I'm connecting the aircraft. It only takes a couple of seconds to de/reinstall - better safe than sorry IMO.

Reactions: Othan1
When I'm not flying the Gimbal lock is on. Its a matter of habit. When done flying the gimbal lock goes on, period... Not taking chances...

As you said "
Just got my new phantom 3 with a nice new hard type case. Do I really need to put the gimbal lock on every time I put it in the case. The gimbal seems so fragile to me that I feel like I will break it. What say the pros.
Al

As you said "The gimbal seems so fragile". If your not flying, keep it locked. it only takes a few seconds to fit. (onece you get the hang of it :)).

I am trying to get into the habit of using it but man its very difficult to put on and off. Has to be lined up just right. I ordered a 3d printed one that looks easier.

Yeah it is so weird. The one that came on my Standard was very snug. It was snug on both my Standard and on my Advanced. The one that came on my Advanced is loose. Its loose on both. It was actually NOT attached when I first received my P3A.

I am trying to get into the habit of using it but man its very difficult to put on and off. Has to be lined up just right. I ordered a 3d printed one that looks easier.

I always use the lock for the reason of it being fragile. I'd feel nekked if I didn't! ;)

If it's not getting prepped for flight I have it on, but agree with everyone that its design is a pain in the butt.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Once you do it a couple hundred times, it becomes second nature. But yeah, they designed it funny.

Both the gimbals I've broken on the PIII so far have been from auto landing! Once in nice short grass once in a dirt field that was a little uneven.The gimbals are just so cheap that I feel even carried it in a case if you were to drop the case from waist level to your feet it could break it not worth the risk put the clip on

Al
Watched a few unboxing videos before the arrival of my first P3P and every one I watched the gimbal lock was dislodged at the time of unboxing. So was mine when I opened the package up. Is that a sign of rough handling by the shipping company or is it a defect in the gimbal lock design?

Is that a sign of rough handling by the shipping company or is it a defect in the gimbal lock design?
I think it's a sign that is was not attached securely enough. It does stay attached when installed properly.

Both the gimbals I've broken on the PIII so far have been from auto landing! Once in nice short grass once in a dirt field that was a little uneven.The gimbals are just so cheap that I feel even carried it in a case if you were to drop the case from waist level to your feet it could break it not worth the risk put the clip on
Is the p3 a lot whimpier than the p2v?

I haven't used my p2 one since new 2 yrs ago.... I don't see any need with original cardboard egg carton it came in. Just added a layer of packing foam in hole it sits in and it holds it fine during rough golf cart rides across plowed fields...

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

It should be fine as long as it's fully supported and not bouncing around while transporting it.

Do you use the gimbal lock that came with the AC (P3P)?

Or some 3rd party lock?

Do all 3rd party locks work with 3rd party filters (I have Anbee Multi-coated NDs which should be the same size & weight as the stock DJI filter)?

Do you use the gimbal lock that came with the AC (P3P)?

Or some 3rd party lock?

Do all 3rd party locks work with 3rd party filters (I have Anbee Multi-coated NDs which should be the same size & weight as the stock DJI filter)?
Tried the TP one first but found it was getting looser and looser. Now use the OE unit with a nice soft lens cap. That's the best solution IMO.

Last edited:
I use the original gimbal lock. Yes, it can be cumbersome to put on at times, but it gets easier the more you do it.
I also find it especially useful when I"m changing ND lens filters.
It's much easier have the gimbal lock installed than risk possibly over-stressing the gimbal while trying to screw a lens filter on and off.
I always keep the gimbal lock on when transporting the Phantom as well.

However, I think this is an item ripe for a better solution via 3-D printing.
If there was a design easier to install, yet still provided gimbal protection and open access to changing lens filters, I'd use it.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj