To fly or not to fly

Reaction score
Well, I'm scheduled to fly a project site on Wednesday but am now leaning towards canceling the flight. In doing my homework tonight, I've discovered that there is a HUGE electric power plant literally a stones throw from the site. (See below photo.) Considering its size, my gut feeling is there will likely be an electrical field in the area that may screw around with the bird's compass and/or GPS, as it isn't just a few wires I'd be dealing with here. I'd prefer not to risk a flyaway - and certainly not one that might crash into electric transformers. So I think I have to pass on this one. Opinions?

Attachments

• powerplant.jpg
    powerplant.jpg
    171.6 KB · Views: 598
I'd tell them it's too risky. If they are that pushy tell them you will do it however they agree to pay $1,300 if your drone crashes for "any" reason.

If you're comfortable flying in ATTI mode you might be okay, I would highly recommend AGAINST using manual in any circumstance other then acrobatic flying, minus the camera and gimbal.

Fly it at 400' AGL to stay as far away as possible?

Thanks for the replies. I'd prefer to fly in GPS mode where I would have the RTH option available. I honestly don't know what the radius of interference an electric facility like that might have on a GPS signal or compass. Anybody here work in the power grid field? I wouldn't be flying directly over it as my site (measured on Google Earth) is 240m off to the side, but that's pretty close to a 350m x 150m size facility. The bird will always be in sight, so I suppose I could switch to ATT mode and bring her in if something begins to get weird in GPS. I'll just have to sit down with others today and explain my concern and may decide to travel to the site tomorrow for a first-hand visual and go/no-go decision. I'd hate to disappoint the site owner based on just a Google Earth image.

I don't believe GPS is not vulnerable to an electro-magnetic field of this type. It's the magnetometer that would likely be effected.

However arcing at switches or other contacts can generate RFI and could effect radio signals of any type in the right conditions.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl