To buy the DJI Phantom H3-3D or Phantom 3

Reaction score
I've been wanting a drone a very long time but never had a real reason however this year I'm moving abroad to China and there are some amazing places to video and thought this would be a perfect opportunity to buy a drone. However I'm really torn between spending £599 on the Phantom H3-3D as I have a GoPro hero 3+ already or £899 on the new Phantom 3. For a beginner is it worth spending the extra £300? I just don't want to regret it in the future as I'm already forking out a large amount of money and if the extra £300 could make my drone experience so much better then I'd kick myself. Obviously an extra £300 is a large sum of money hence my apprehension.

I currently own a phantom 2 v2.0 with an H3-d3. Prior to the release of the p3, it was the best option I had as I wanted to use the gopro. I'm still really happy with the purchase, but would have bought the p3 over the p2 with h3-d3 had it been available.

Ignoring the other imovements, you will spend the difference in price and more getting FPV up and running after you figure in a monitor l, video transmitter, antennas, a mini iosd, etc.

There is no way that you can just assume the base cost. You WILL spend more than you currently think on the quad. I can't stop modding ;)

My advice would be to go with the p3. My only reservation is that it is a as-of-yet unreleased product with a lot of hardware and software so there may be glitches. But that is ultimately unavoidable with this hobby.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

buying a p2 with the go pro is going to cost about to same or maybe more. its not FPV ready. i was in the same boat as you. if i were you i would wait and get the p3!

I've gone both routes (P2V+ and P2 H3-3D, but if I had to only go one, it would be the integrated package of the P3. You get everything you need, camera, gimbal and FPV with on-screen data, and it works right out of the box. Right now still working on getting IOSD and getting rid of jello on my P2 H3-3D. My Vision + worked perfectly right out of the box and was cheaper in the long run

I'm a month into owning my Phantom and I'm really happy with what I got. I didnt buy on the cheaper train by any means, in fact I'm making payments. But I bought the Phantom2 v2 with H4-3D gimbal, GoPro 4 black, mini osd, FPV, two batteries hard Pelican case. But I went the GoPro rout mostly because you will have a GoPro and you can use it for way more than on a Phantom. I'm not saying the other platforms are bad, they are great, its just a dedicated platform. The HD-4K cameras are stuck on the Phantoms. With a GoPro in hand you can do so much more if you are creative especially if you are traveling.

Reactions: 750r
My advice would be to go with the p3. My only reservation is that it is a as-of-yet unreleased product with a lot of hardware and software so there may be glitches. But that is ultimately unavoidable with this hobby.

Remember this is a 3rd generation product. Less likely to have the growing pains like some of the other products. It takes a lot from the Inspire and P2 Vision+.

With both systems you will have to factor in the cost of the FPV monitor. I already have a P2 with GoPro HERO 4 but as others have mentioned you also have to factor in the cost of an FPV transmitter, mini iOSD, pelican case, backpack case, extra batteries, FPV monitor, etc. Neither are going to give you everything at the base price but the P3 is closer to the complete package than the P2 route.

Personally I still prefer the GoPro P2 setup because with a custom lens I feel the GoPro takes better pictures than the Inspire 1 which has the same camera as the P3. I also like the Pictures + Video mode of the GoPro which the P3 cannot do. But if you are looking at it strictly from a cost standpoint, the P3 is definitely the winner.

Also the Lightbridge system cannot be overstated....I wish my setup did HD FPV video and based on early P3 range tests it looks like the P3 will have a longer range out of the box than my P2 which currently tops out around 1.7km.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic