Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

TK 102b Won't turn off (on?)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by shopsmithy, Jul 18, 2014.

1. shopsmithy

I purchased a TK 102b gps tracker (after throwing away $25 on a lesser device) and it seemed to work great for about a week in testing. I still haven't flown it.

However, now when I put the battery in, the green light just stays on forever (instead of turning off after 40 seconds of syncing, following by a blink every 4 seconds), and the unit no longer responds to any texts or calls. It worked fine, and then the next morning, steady green and no function.

Any suggestions from the experts out there on how to fix this? I really like the idea of the security of a tracker on my Vision 2. I have an ATT sim card in there, and everything worked before.

2. shopsmithy

Unfortunately, I can't get any commands to it. With the battery in, the light is on constantly, and it does not reply to calls or texts. With the battery out, of course, it's just dead. Very frustrating, as it worked great for a few days. I've checked all the pins and connections, and they all seem good.

3. discv

I'm trying to recall correctly- but I think that a solid green means sims card not present [or seated properly}]

4. shopsmithy

thanks so much!

5. Mori55

They don't turn off. There's a app to program and use them in google ans apple store.

6. shopsmithy

I have that app, but I can't get the green light to turn off, which the manual says it should after about 40 seconds, then blink once every 4 seconds. For several days, it did just that, and worked. Now, when I put the battery in, the light stays on, and the unit will not respond to any command send or call made. I'd love suggestions on what to do to break it out of this status.

7. discv

I checked, and can duplicate your fault [solid green] on my TK102 by removing the sims card.

8. Mori55

When it's working it blinks. Did green is a SIM card issue.

9. Mori55

I kinda easy to in backward.

10. discv

Sorry?

11. Mori55

Easy to put the card in wrong , sorry about that :shock:

12. shopsmithy

Well, I think I may have figured it out, thanks to the help above. I believe I was not fully locking the SIM card in place. When I did, I got the blinking green light again. However, when I tried to call or text, it failed. A trip to the ATT store educated me to the fact that, while my plan was $5 per month, and I put $15 on the account, it still goes away after 30 days, and the minimum that can be put into the account is $10. So, my $5/month plan is actually a $10/month plan, which I can live with. So, hopefully, things are working.

13. shopsmithy

or...

It stopped working again yesterday (steady green), and I played with making sure the card was properly seated, pins extended, etc., and no joy. Picked it up this morning, and, of course, was working again with a blinking green. Bizarre.

14. Monte55

I've had my Drone Mods tracker for a month or so now. $5 a month unlimited calls. It works well as I test it daily to learn the ins and outs of the device. Came setup out of box ready to go. Has about 12 day battery life before recharging. About 56 grams. Seems well made. Has panic button on it.

15. KenW

Anybody else have problems getting the TK102 to turn off? I just bought one, the GPS functions work OK, but the on/off button does nothing. Can't power off.

16. KenW

I think I found my answer in another post: http://www.phantompilots.com/threads/tk102b-instructions-easy-to-read.34531/. It says the on/off button is disabled. Why even have it? Having to yank the battery makes it considerably less convenient for drone applications.

17. JKDSensei

Sure does.
    I have an TK102 AND a TK109B which is more of a round GPS. It has a working on/off button so I really like it but it costs about $20 more than the TK102.

However, I haven't yet seen or heard of a way to replace the battery on the TK109B....which is a minus.