Titan Conquer Antenna. Distance flight!

Reaction score
This was a distance flight using the Titan Conquer Antenna in an urban setting with tall trees. It was a morning flight (5/2/17) heading east from City Park toward downtown Burlington. There was no wind, temp. was 59 degrees and perfect flying conditions. I was flying at a height of 200 feet.
I have seen where folks post distances of many thousands of feet. However, I believe most of these numbers refer to the distance in their DJI flight log. I have included a snap shot of the flight log I took today. My log shows 17,695 feet! This number is confusing as it doesn't give an accurate distance my Phantom flew from the home position to the end of my flight. In the attached video my Phantom 4 flew a one way distance of 7,276 feet. My original antennas best distance was about 2,500 feet. I used the Titan Drone whip antennas and got about 4,500 feet. I am very please with the 7,276 feet I was able to get from the Conquer Antenna. I might have gotten a little more but I was nervous!

Attachments

• Flight log.png
    Flight log.png
    276.3 KB · Views: 605
Reactions: Digdat0
Hey that's not too bad. I think you can do better but that's good. If that's all you feel comfortable with then don't push it.

This was a distance flight using the Titan Conquer Antenna in an urban setting with tall trees. It was a morning flight (5/2/17) heading east from City Park toward downtown Burlington. There was no wind, temp. was 59 degrees and perfect flying conditions. I was flying at a height of 200 feet.
I have seen where folks post distances of many thousands of feet. However, I believe most of these numbers refer to the distance in their DJI flight log. I have included a snap shot of the flight log I took today. My log shows 17,695 feet! This number is confusing as it doesn't give an accurate distance my Phantom flew from the home position to the end of my flight. In the attached video my Phantom 4 flew a one way distance of 7,276 feet. My original antennas best distance was about 2,500 feet. I used the Titan Drone whip antennas and got about 4,500 feet. I am very please with the 7,276 feet I was able to get from the Conquer Antenna. I might have gotten a little more but I was nervous!

I got 10,000 feet today without even trying. Turned around just because. This antenna is a stud! Beautiful design work and craftsmanship. These boys have their s*** together!!!

But what really blew me away was their customer service. I've called twice. Once at 9:30ish pm, (the night I ordered) and someone answered the phone! The guy answered the question I had (before pulling the trigger and buying) and didn't rush me off the phone. The second time I called, I left a message and they literally called me back in 15 minutes (the message I left wasn't a 911 or anything...very general)!

Guy I spoke with told me to lock his cell in and call if I have any future questions. Good group of guys. Would recommend to everyone looking for a more cleaner, sleeker, sexier looking, easy to setup long range antenna with amplifiers (all of that is how I feel about it IMO).

Reactions: Digdat0
I can get close to that kinda range flying over Forrest but I don't have to deal with city interference. I have yet to fly in the city so I have nothing to compare to but 2500 feet seems pretty crappy. If I can't fly a mile to a mile and a half out here in the woods I'd be mad about it. Ive seen videos of flights with unobstructed los to the AC conditions where they flew 3 miles or better with no mods flying a p4. From what I've seen its not abnormal to achieve that kind of distance under the right conditions.

I never saw close to 3 miles with my stock P4. 1 1/2 miles maybe.

1.9 miles one way, then RTH kicks in at 40% battery- I hit "yes" starts to return and minor crash as it said "auto landing "200 yards away, thanks to the prop guards only broken prop. I don't trust percentages that much anymore after that. I show voltage now.

Reactions: Sprtbkryder
Not a bad idea. I think sometimes the RTH gets cornfused because mine wanted to RTH the other day at 75% battery for some reason. I just cancelled and kept a digging.

Guys, just took a second long distance flight at Wrightsville Beach NC. I flew from the Holiday Inn Resort to the south end of Wrightsville beach. It was a 5 mile round trip. I flew 2.5 miles one way and still had plenty of signal to continue. However, the Phantom knew the battery was low and kicked in the RTH feature. This Conquer Antenna is a beast! I have included a link to this flight.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

This is the return flight you're seeing. Watch close and you will see the bird gain altitude and start the RTH process.

Yeah, good looking antenna. I wish I could see inside one to find out what type of antenna elements they use and how they are phased. I bet there was a lot of computer aided planning done to produce that system. Has anyone checked into FCC regulations that deal with amplified 2.4 GHz signals? I have heard that there are power limits and also effective radiated power limits on the 2.4 GHz band. Anyway, I have flown my Phantom 4 out to 7,141 feet (1.35 miles) on a Litchi Waypoint mission and when the drone was not being blocked by trees, I had a signal strength of 100%. The total flight distance was 18,112 feet or 3.43 miles. After it landed, it showed a battery level of 38% so I had plenty of power remaining to have stretched the distance by several more feet. I have modified that mission already to go another 500 feet away distance just to see about the signal level. After it rounded the mission at that point and started heading home, the signal stayed at 100%. I use the $12.00 parabolic reflectors from Amazon.com on my two antennas and they do a great job. Without the reflectors in place, the signal drops to about 30% and frequently disconnects. I did some distance tests with them several weeks ago and proved them to work for my satisfaction but I had not expected the level of performance that I saw. I will post any further test results I get on this site. d
Thanks,
Jim
WA5TEF

20170422_002324.jpg

Attachments

• 20170422_002337.jpg
    20170422_002337.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 390
  • 20170422_002346.jpg
    20170422_002346.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 493
Last edited:
Yeah, good looking antenna. I wish I could see inside one to find out what type of antenna elements they use and how they are phased. I bet there was a lot of computer aided planning done to produce that system. Has anyone checked into FCC regulations that deal with amplified 2.4 GHz signals? I have heard that there are power limits and also effective radiated power limits on the 2.4 GHz band. Anyway, I have flown my Phantom 4 out to 7,141 feet (1.35 miles) on a Litchi Waypoint mission and when the drone was not being blocked by trees, I had a signal strength of 100%. The total flight distance was 18,112 feet or 3.43 miles. After it landed, it showed a battery level of 38% so I had plenty of power remaining to have stretched the distance by several more feet. I have modified that mission already to go another 500 feet away distance just to see about the signal level. After it rounded the mission at that point and started heading home, the signal stayed at 100%. I use the $12.00 parabolic reflectors from Amazon.com on my two antennas and they do a great job. Without the reflectors in place, the signal drops to about 30% and frequently disconnects. I did some distance tests with them several weeks ago and proved them to work for my satisfaction but I had not expected the level of performance that I saw. I will post any further test results I get on this site. d
Thanks,
Jim
WA5TEF
Yeah, I tried those in the beginning (parabolic antennas) and they just couldn't punch through the tree cover I have over here. It's literally night day with this and those split in half beer cans you use. Believe me I've tested (from my patio). I looked at my flight plan (or whatever you call it) and I actually did 15.8k before I turned around. But hey, you get what you pay for!
[emoji106]

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.