Tis a bad day, Possibly a flyaway??

Reaction score
It was a fairly nice day for Northern Illinois this time of year about 55 degrees, sunshine and very little wind, this was in contrast to the previous days that were snowy with bone chilling wind. Had completed two flights about 18 minutes each and was preparing to take off with the 3rd battery when across the screen a message "IMU calibration required". So I stopped and returned the bird to the workbench and connected the RC and the bird to the Assistant software running on a Mac. As soon as I was connected, DJI had an update waiting, read the details included in the update saw nothing evil so I updated. Now everything was at the latest versions. When I went to check IMU status everything' was OK, but since I had had the error, I decided to do an "advanced IMU check. Took about 3 minutes but I got the green check when completed. I had already checked the RC in both programs because I had noticed a yellow LED on the version 2 controller, so I calibrated the sticks in both programs. While I was in the Assistant Program I changed the maximum height to 400', reason being I'm near the 5 mile radius of an Airport. I figured with all the "idiot" drone pilots you read about in the news I didn't want to give anyone any reason to report me to the FAA.
Before I get into the details of my sad story, my bird purchased in early June of this year had been moded with FPVLR Stage 2 bird side antennas along with the RC antennas. Which are fantastic by the way. I would've normally flown with a UAV Tracker, but it has failed so many times, I stopped using it. And because of the glowing recommendation from DirtyBird on the Flytrex Live 3G, I'm now awaiting its arrival. So against better judgement I'm flying without a tracker.
So now for my third flight of the day, since I had upgraded new software, I figured I would recalibrate the Compass and GPS before takeoff. Everything checked out fine, took off with 9 Satellites. Went up about 150' , she is hovering steady and the controls are very responsive. I started flying N/W at about 300'. Got out 1735' and I get a notice on the screen the "Maximum Altitude reached" even though the Altimeter reading on the display said I was at 470' It was right after this that I get "Phantom Connection Lost" and the video freezes. This was very unusual because I've been consistently flying at about 3000'. Since right prior to this I had lost line of sight I now wait patiently for the "Returning Home" to display. After what seems to be an eternity I realize it is not going to return on it's own even though It has alway returned in the past so I'm very concerned. The display shows the coordinates when the connection broke and in the .app I used "Find My Phantom" to get the location on a map. After securing the property owners permission to search the area and the better part of three hours with three people the bird was nowhere to be found. I made the assumption that the bird must've suffered a major power failure in that both control and video were lost at the same time. My question to anyone reading this Do you think the software upgrade could possibly have caused this, and has anyone had any luck withe the "Find my Phantom feature in the .app? Guess I just got an email from Flytrex saying my Flytrex Live had been shipped and was on its way. Story of my life a day late and dollar short. Thanks for reading.

I think you were right on target with what you needed to do, except I saw one thing that caught my attention. The part when you said you downloaded the dji update. You did not confirm this but at that point you should have reboot the quad. It needs what they call "recycle your phantom". Then proceed as you did by going to the IMU and complete that part. Btw, I feel like you should always do the Advanced Calibration and not the basic. I'm sure you did not do this because if you did, it would have said the temp was too hot try again in 5 minutes, or something close to that.

Oh....and right now it's best to just relax. You will either find it or you wont. I lost two this year and I'm on my 3rd one purchased. (Currently flying with Flytrex Live which is 2G, and the 3G will be here tomorrow.)

I HAVE FOUND my quad 2 times using the "find my phantom" feature. But it is only good to the point of when the quad receives a GPS signal. I feel like as long as the quad is powered on, it is receiving the signal. Let's say your guess is what may have happened as in losing power(which I doubt), this is what you should in that case. Btw, right everything you can remember down now, or speak into the voice recorder on your phone. And say everything you can think of. Moving on,...Take down the last altitude you know the quad to have been, Take down the direction of the wind(Not what the weather said, but what you remember it to be. Very important.) Next use google earth to first place the exact point shown to you on the "find phantom" feature. You will lay out 2 lines in the direction of wind travel. The lines will need to fan out gradually, not a lot, but I think you get the idea and once you are looking at your map on google you will know pretty much how much the lines need to fan out. (Btw, I would like to know the gps cordinance and wind direction so I maybe help further)
This will be the area to look for it. I know you will be dark around a hour from now. If the quad did go down with power the lights will blink for several hours. The lights will be the easiest part to a possible recovery now. But, I don't know your surroundings, but if a tree or something hard is involved with the crash, 8 times out of 10 the battery was ejected. If you have someone else with a quad that can night fly you may be able to spot the lights way faster. I would actual come and help if I lived 2-3 hours closer as I'm 2hrs southeast of Chicago.

As for what actually happened with this taking place, I can't come up with anything that makes sense. I guess my blame would go toward the remote controller lack of power?

You were very detailed in describing step by step what happened, but at no time did you mention that you had set the home point. Just a writing omission?

He most likely had the new home point enabled. If he lost communication with tx and wifi as he explained he will not get a rth. It would either return as it should have, or land. We don't know how he had his settings adjusted.

happydays said:
If the TX lost power, then an RTH would be initiated, same as turning off the power, wouldn't it?
Yes.

Sorry took so long to get back was out searching agin, it was pretty close to dark saw no lights. Sure wish I had another Phantom to be able to search with ariel view.

Right after I lost connection I moved S1 to Failsafe and in the programming on low battery was set to "go home" and my RTH height was set to 200'
I was flying Naza-M and my S1 was programmed in the bottom position to "Failsafe"

Let me know the gps spot and the wind direction with the type of wind speeds you were having.

Sorry flyNfrank, I had the coordinates while the app was open but I didn't write them down, I didn't think I had to when I seen the location in the Find my Phantom feature. As far as the wind speed and direction, it was like I originally said the wind was negligible so I not sure as to direction. I guess I screwed

pterrill said:
Sorry flyNfrank, I had the coordinates while the app was open but I didn't write them down, I didn't think I had to when I seen the location in the Find my Phantom feature. As far as the wind speed and direction, it was like I originally said the wind was negligible so I not sure as to direction. I guess I screwed

Well you might want to check out the Cyber Monday prices. I saw a new vPlus on amazon for $999.

Sorry for your loss.. I suspect it had something to do with the altitude reading.
The altimeters on phantoms are not accurate due to the barometer location.

I think it's safer to set everything to the max imo

Hope you find it...

Several weeks ago I ran into a similar scenario with my P2V+. Lost both the control signal and video at a distance and altitude which had not been a problem. Fortunately my P2V+ did eventually return home and I landed her safely. The flight video showed her doing 360° turns, hovering stationary for about 3 minutes before finally heading home. Description and video link at http://www.phantompilots.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=29773&p=272863&hilit=fart#p272863

Sometimes they just have a mind of their own!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20